Least effective brake

My concerns do not include looks. I want tecoil reduction on my 50BMG and sound is secondary. My ears are just about gone already from flying open cockpit with no protection. WE DIDNT KNOW ABOUT EAR DAMAGE FROM PROP WASH BACK IN THE DAY. But I now wear plugs and muffs BOTH at the same time. Lost my wife to COVID so I dont need hearing around the house. (she said I never had it anyway...)
MY 50BMG has a tank style brake, not popular these days, that is not dissimilar to the JP Recoil Elininator except that it sends the blast back at about 45 degrees. Its loud as hell and will clear the range on either side, but a 90 pound 12year old didnt complain about the recoil. Recoil, with the brake, is about like a 12 GA with slugs. Wish I knew who made it, but no markings on it.

Last edited:
Bust some of us want to look good and be fashionable...😉
All my bolt action rifles that DO have a brake, it is radial, all but four came from the factory, the four that didn't are custom blended into the barrel.
I do have an FAL with a match barrel, bayonet lug, but NO brake at all. Not even the military type one

I am not a brake fan, but considering one on my next build. I want some of the advantages without the deafening shockwave as I'm not very likely to earplug, though I'll try. I want the majority of the blast to go about 35-60*, 0* being the bore. What are some things to consider?
I had a similar issue with Brakes as far as the added noise. I invested into several options one is Brockman Brake, turn it on and off, 2nd was linear brake as far as brake effectiveness thought it was marginal (but sound is pushed in the direction of the bullet path). But the one I like better is an Indian Creek blast forwarding device. Install your brake of choice with the adapter then the shims or crush washer to time your brake. Then screw the shield onto the adapter I have this on several rifles now. Your Brake of choice still works well and the sound goes away from you as the recoil comes straight back. I find I shooting more comfortable on my ears with this. The device looks like a mini Suppressor when it is screwed on.

I love all these responses that think I'm going to the range without hearing protection to lay down 200rnds of lead... with a brake. I appreciate your concern for my hearing, but I'm not worried about the 0-3 unprotected shots a year.

A single 160-180db exposure can cause permanent damage, but they are you ears to damage as you like.

A single 160-180db exposure can cause permanent damage, but they are you ears to damage as you like.
Thank you for acknowledging they are my ears… at least someone around here understands FREEDOM!

Now, back on track.. any brake information doc Seg?

So far seekins, kvp, witt, live oak, and the answer are on the radar.

Last edited:
I have many. Those with shark-like gills and top ports work the best to control both muzzle rise and recoil, but really increase blast.

Little basturd is my favorite. 223-7 mag. It is unwise to shoot anything without muffs and **** foolish to be anywhere near any center fire with a break of any kind.

Being deaf is not fun.

My son-in-law borrowed his dad's 300 RUM with a brake for his oryx hunt. His first shot was a bit rushed, so of course he didn't have hearing protection. The muzzle blast made him flinch. After 11 shots at different oryx, we finally got him within 100 yards, and he filled his tag on the last day. He'd have been much better off with a smaller cartridge and and no brake.

My son-in-law borrowed his dad's 300 RUM with a brake for his oryx hunt. His first shot was a bit rushed, so of course he didn't have hearing protection. The muzzle blast made him flinch. After 11 shots at different oryx, we finally got him within 100 yards, and he filled his tag on the last day. He'd have been much better off with a smaller cartridge and and no brake.
🤔MG!

Is your son in law now deaf as all these otolaryngologists suggest? doubtful. By all rights according to a few fellas above everyone who has heard a single sonic crack should be 100% hearing impaired. FFS

I like the ones from Smithenterprise.com. they make one called the "Good Iron Muzzle Brake" link below, they seem to work real well for me.

What about using a self timing muzzlebrake, which only take seconds to remove or remount and simply taking them off when you are hunting? I have brakes from APA and Area 419 that are very effective in reducing both felt recoil and muzzle jump. Anyone else want to weigh in on this? When shooting at an animal, I don't even notice the recoil from a 300 WM.
I own several "self timing" brakes, including from APA and Area 419, two Eric Cortina tuning brakes. All muzzle brakes are a compromise. Either you have great recoil reduction or some reduction with less noise to the shooter. The total amount of escaping gas from the muzzle remains the same, no matter what kind of brake, or none at all. The shape of the baffle (s), number of baffles, the size of the hole compared to the bullet and bore, size of the chambers (s) and ports all determine how much shock is delivered to the muzzle (bounce) and the direction of travel of the muzzle. The solution is a parabola. (Personal conversation with engineer who designs muzzle devices for an arms company). To avoid muzzle bounce, a smaller amount of gas should be discharged laterally in the first chamber, more in the second, in each successive chamber more and more. The last chamber of the brake, should be the largest in volume and have the tightest hole in the baffle (at the muzzle). If you have anything else, it is sub-optimum for muzzle bounce.

Reduction in recoil is determined by the direction of the release of gas. If gas is released back toward the shooters ears, it pulls the rifle forward to mitigate recoil. If the gas is released perpendicular, to the front, away from the shooters ears, it doesn't do much for recoil reduction. Again, recoil reduction is a compromise with noise. Muzzle bounce (shock) doesn't have to be. How much ear protection are you willing to wear or recoil punishment tolerate?