Lead Poisoning

I stand corrected, and thank you for your insight!

A friend is in the custom bullet casting business, the lead he uses is from China and Mexico. I wonder where our lead bird shot comes from that we purchase, and the foundry where our bullet-making companies buy their lead wire? Would there be a foundry in the USA that produces the Lead Wire used for making bullets?

Nothing could be worse for the American Sportsman and target shooter than outlawing lead core bullets.

Who said the insects don't get burned up? I didn't see any mention on the difference of bugs getting burned compared to birds.
My referance to the bugs is that if you reduce the food in a given area wouldn't you expect the preditors (birds) to thin out? I'm on the east coast so I really am asking more than anything. I've also read about the windmills killing massive numbers of birds, especially raptors. True?

My referance to the bugs is that if you reduce the food in a given area wouldn't you expect the preditors (birds) to thin out? I'm on the east coast so I really am asking more than anything. I've also read about the windmills killing massive numbers of birds, especially raptors. True?
Theoretically it could. As far as windmills yes they kill plenty of birds.

They don't want to put windmills of our coast because of eyesores. I used to fish about 60 miles offshore until my body just couldn't take it and i had to sell the boat. What most people don't realize is that all up and down our coast we have towers, some well over 100' tall and they can't see them. Haze or curve of the earth. We couldn't see them until we were about 10 miles from them. 1 even has a fairly LG. building and a helipad that they can't see.
I've loaded the boat many times trolling around them and some just dropping down.
Don't misunderstand, I'm for saving things some of it just doesn't add up. Just my opinion.

Took a while but now there is finally decent discussion here. Thank you.

In my opinion solar and wind farms are a giant scam driven by chrony capitalism making a few people rich through government regulation. Not only are they bad for the environment they are not economically sustainable.

Here is the truth, nothing but the truth! Now throw in Ethanol to the mix!

P. dogs and ground squirrels are the main food sources of Raptors, I have wondered how the poisoning of the food source has had an effect on raptors. Squirrels and p. dogs usually die underground.

Last edited:
Hey M1A1Abrams,
First, I am a very proud 1st Infantry Division combat vet having earned my Combat Medical Badge in Sep 1966.
Second, I come from a family of 11 mostly very bright get. On the GI Bill I earned a BS in Biology (major) with Chemistry/Physics minors.
Third, I sold pharmaceuticals for 3-1/2 years out of college. Whilst in college I served 4 years in the 1140th Engineer Battalion, 35th Infantry Division (NG) as the only Combat experienced Medic in the Unit.
Lastly, I have retained more than a casual interest in Medicine for 45+ years and understand Pb's impact on ALL species. Fortunately I ultimately chose a more rewarding field (financially and otherwise) and have internationally recognized expertise in that field.
My defense:
1) I quoted Wiki precisely because you'll find it general, not academic.
2) I was born and raised in SE Missouri and have family and friends today 'working' in Pb production and logistics. My first cousin's family business (God rest his soul) transships a very high percentage of Missouri's mined lead to China via ocean going barges for smelting.
3) If your were intellectually curious, you would know the answer to your hypothetical "why did all the US Refineries (we call them Smelters) close?" Short answer is EPA; The Libtards imposed such an impossible emissions threshold on Doe Run (the largest domestic smelter at that time) that it made economic sense to close their smelter and ship their primary ore off-shore (China and of course; lawless, pathetic Mexico).
4) I thought you and I would have a comrade's perspective as Vets. Maybe so, but I sense you, Sir, have a hidden or disguised agenda.
Duty First, Jasbo
I suppose I should have used the abbreviation for Sarcasm, after my over the top statement about shutting refineries (Smelters) down & EMPLOYEES DYING from Lead poisoning. lol Pretty sure we all know why they were shutdown. Just as the coal mines & many other factories in the USA. And you can not foresee the Govt (EPA) using this to restrict 2A ? Even though lead is already being banned in a few States. I bet in a few years we will learn how bad copper is for you. Someone already posted a article in this forum showing how they are monitoring copper effects in plumbing for drinking water. We all knew lead was not good for you. Or so we are told. Looking at the youth of today. I really do wonder, if it is bad for you ? After all not many youth have been around lead. lol

Now the topic of Vince being wrong. I do not believe so. If your intellectually curious you would have read the links that were provided. I will post another for you. And as far as my hidden or disguised agenda. Yeah I got one. It's KEEPING THE GOVT FROM trying to tell me HOW TO LIVE MY LIFE. And my lust for precious metals. lol
My minute use of lead bullets & sinkers, pales in comparison, if there's ANY impact, to the actions the US Govt has had on conservation. Be it in the USA or around the world.

From the article,
China exported 116,500 tonnes of refined lead last year, the highest-volume outflow since 2007. Imports were a negligible 1,500 tonnes. It was a second consecutive year of net exports, bringing the cumulative total to 210,000 tonnes since the start of 2021.

The country had been a modest net importer of lead in the prior four years, over which time cumulative exports amounted to just 43,000 tonnes.

High physical premiums in both Europe and the United States continue to draw refined lead out of China with another 16,400 tonnes departing in December, including 1,600 tonnes to Germany and 1,000 tonnes each to Belgium, Italy, the Netherlands and Turkey.

Took a while but now there is finally decent discussion here. Thank you.

In my opinion solar and wind farms are a giant scam driven by chrony capitalism making a few people rich through government regulation. Not only are they bad for the environment they are not economically sustainable.
You have that right! The pollution created by building a wind power, is greater than what it save. A little reading will shows that all this clean energy is wasts of time and money.
":people that do it, do it, People that can't teach. So, you see what we get out of out of our colleges. SAD!

2 different discussions going on:

1) Lead isn't good for you.
2) The government is worse. One can easily point to bigger disasters caused by our officials elected, appointed, otherwise in "charge", and more to come.

I think #1 is a given. I think some people are so stuck in #2 they can't discuss #1.

I will continue to shoot lead bullets. Especially high volume varmint shoots.
I will continue using reasonable care doing so to protect myself, and the kids I'm responsible for.
I don't shoot Hammer's because of politics.
I know Steve shares most of the thoughts on government regulation.

I don't care how many paint chips, or how much Flint H20 Obama ingested, I plan on managing (not eliminating) my exposures differently. Meaning honestly, and not minimizing damage done to others.

#1) Is a short thread, #2 is endless. The assumption all those cautioning about limiting lead ingestion have a political agenda is fallacious. Most of us here are speaking of personal behavior, not political or economic advantage.