Subsonic lead free?

TheFishBox

My old man wants to shoot critters in our property, he likes shooting subsonic ammo in his 22lr but doesn't want to shoot lead since the vultures like to eat what he leaves behind. What would be the cheapest option for lead free subsonic, the great google machine hasn't shown a real 22lr lead free subsonic option.

As far as I know there's no such thing. Lead free 22lr bullets end up being real light to keep them short enough to stabilize in a 1:16 barrel, and they get loaded fast to compensate.

Buy him some 22 LR Coper coated and just tell him that they are not Lead. What do vultures have to do with eating carrion? If you get some good ammo the bullets will go right through the varmints and into the ground.
California???

What do you mean by what do vultures have to do with eating carrion? Also the old man might be old but he ain't dumb enough to fall for copper coated lead.

What do you mean by what do vultures have to do with eating carrion? Also the old man might be old but he ain't dumb enough to fall for copper coated lead.
FN Herstal makes lead free ammo for the 5.7x28, but you'd have to have a rifle that shoots them. Good thing is there are many out there now.

I wasn't clear in the original post but I am open to any cartridge options just want it to be "cheap" accurate, lead free, subsonic. Doesn't need to be able to kill a moose just little critters. Another cartridge is fine.

I got to thinking about this again last night when I saw a bottle of 50 grain copper solids on my bench and remembered you can get loaded CuRx ammo now. You'll have to use the 32 grain in a standard 1:16 barrel, and they have a subsonic 32gr load. I have no experience using them for hunting. It's a solid, nonexpanding bullet. I have no experience with this company either.

Aside from that, you could probably work up a subsonic load for a small 224 like 22 Hornet or 221 Fireball using copper bullets if you're a reloader.

I wasn't clear in the original post but I am open to any cartridge options just want it to be "cheap" accurate, lead free, subsonic. Doesn't need to be able to kill a moose just little critters. Another cartridge is fine.
The subsonic requirement makes it harder for factory ammunition unless you are going to load for him. Having said that, here are .223 options for your consideration ...

https://beckammunition.com/ammunition/subsonic-ammo/223-subsonic

Recent Posts