Lead free bullets

J E Custom

Lead free bullets are required in some states and may have some advantages over jacketed
bullets. The fact that they weigh less gives them a better Ballistic coefficient in the lighter
weight bullets of the same caliber.

A while back I went on a search to find as many bullet makers that were making them, and
though I would share what I found. (It may not be complete so feel free to add any that are
not on this list).

I found 4 manufactures and have listed them with there descriptions.

BARNES =
Banded Solid Flat Base ---------- BND SLD FB
Banded Spitzer Solid Boatail-----BHD SPIT BT
Multi Purpose Green Flatbase----MPG FB
Maximum Range X Boatail-------MRX BT
Triple Shock Boatail--------------TSX BT
Tipped Triple Shock Boatail------TTSX BT
Tipped Triple Shock Flat Base---TTSX FB
Triple Shock Flat Base-----------TSX FB
Triple Shock Flat Nose-----------TSX FN
Varmint Grenade Flat Base------VG FB
(They also make a pistol bullet)-XBP

NOSLER =
Polymer Tipped 210 Alloy---------E-Tip
Alloyed core-----------------------SOLID

HORNADY =
Gilding metal expanding Monolithic-- GMX

SINTERFIRE =
Frangible Rifle Bullet------------SFIRE

Maybe this list will help someone find a bullet that is lead free.

I use a lot of these bullets in .224 because they have a little better BC Because the weight
of the Alloy is less than lead.

J E CUSTOM

PS: This might be used as a Sticky in this section, If someone can/will post it.

JE, this would make a great sticky. I thought about including the listed BC's as well:rolleyes:

The Barnes MRX is on the discontinued list :(

Lets add the Cutting Edge Bullets!

ESP Raptor- with or without the polymer (Talon) tip
Dangerous Game Brass Hollow Point-Levergun/Nitro Express
Dangerous Game Solid
Flat Base Hunting Bullets
Match/Tactical/Hunting Bullets <.22 throught .50 Cal

t

I am stoked on the Cutting Edge 160gn 7mm bullets. They are 100fps faster than lead core bullets of the same weight, as reported by others. They were very easy to get to shoot, and I am not very experienced at tuning loads.

J E Custom you forgot the Barnes LRX bullets.

It looks like I did not find everything in my search and that's the reason I posted this to help
others that are looking for this type of bullet.

I cant edit, so I cant add them to the post, but if everyone will chime in and add others it will
serve the same purpose.

Thanks

J E CUSTOM

Lapua has their Naturalis bullet also, but most of what I see on Midway are round-nose types.
Nosler has their lead free ballistic tip
Corbin has supplies to make your own cintered core bullets-- I cast lead but I don't know if I'd try that
sinterfire has bullets but it seems as though it's tough to actually buy them-- hard to find

Yep the lapua is ugly.
It looks as though I've fired bullets from everyone that's easy to get, save lapua.

Oh, just remembered- speer makes their green TNT to compete with the nos bt lead free varmint-- haven't tried that one either
edit- back to top and i noticed JE had already mentioned cinterfire-- I guess I stopped at barnes

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.