'Large Caliber' Restrictions in Australia

Hi No Style,

NO, we need to force their hand and be provided with justified/reasoned arguments why exactly law abiding citizens in this coujtry are constantly being targeted for what - better metrics so the "Authorities" can bleat about how much gun crime they have save the sheeple from - as they have taken all these thousands of guns off the street. What a load of crap. The general public have no idea what hoops we jump through now to own and maintain a firearms licence in this country and more than likely do not care a rats...

They simply sit back, be fed all the B.S. media reports and 'feel' happy that the Government has helped them be safe in the community and removed these weapons of evil. Remember if it looks tactical and its black - Oh hell it must be bad and going to kill at any moment:rolleyes: (Remember the H&K .223 bolt action rifle that was banned from import into Australia because it looked too military...)

The anti movement here in Australia must be countered at every corner they will never stop until no one is able to own a firearm. Tell me this, how many crimes have occurred with a large/heavy/bolt action/"large calibre" rifle in this country. Name just one instance, yes there isn't any is there - Fear factor is working over time by people who can make restrictions based on what, a personal agenda, because our military use a similar cartridge (338 Lapau Magnum), promotion, what...

The authorities will bring in this sort of restriction because we allow it to happen - no response, our Australian way - Yeah she'll be right mate! Doesn't effect me I only shoot .308, nah won't happen here I'm in N.S.W.; That type of rifle is too expensive anyway; rounds too expensive and so on...

Demonstrate to me why this 'restriction' is needed and where is the solid research they have completed into this subject, provide proof on how this restriction will reduce any criminal activity by restricting law abiding citizens. Explain to me why I must sell my 338 Lapau because you have told me I no longer can use it interstate to hunt large animals as "It's outside your jurisdiction" and the cartridge is too big for local animals in my home state?

The next step is further restrictions, start on these listed calibres and slowly work on down bit by bit. Just the same as they did with the pistols and the calibre restrictions for IPSC - no 40cals or .45's there is there...

Sorry, rant over.:)

Yeah well there's always the hope that someone gets bored of pursuing it and the issue just fades away. Let sleeping dogs lie and all that.

Like I said, just ****es me off that the noisy activists that wouldn't know a fact if it kicked them in the face have so much legislative and political clout. :rolleyes:

CenterHit, have there been any large caliber restrictions in the NT? I cant speak for other states as i have no idea, but here in QLD nothing has changed, so far there is no "large caliber retrictions" So whats all the fuss about?

+1 w/Centerhit, The next step is further restrictions, start on these listed calibres and slowly work on down bit by bit

That's the point in my earlier post they keep nibbling bit by bit...the same way an elephant gets eaten and eventually there is none.

Hi Groper,

Fortunately, all is quiet in the N.T. with this nonsense at the moment.

The main States of interest were: W.A. and S.A. - as I'm sure you are aware the S.A. Police firearms department making all the noise about a list of calibres that were basically 'banned' as they would not easily provide a Permit To Purchase certificate to buy. Cals like: 338 Lapau Magnum, Any Chey Tac e.t.c. - all of the 'tactical' type cals that are of course vastly more dangerous than any others...:rolleyes:

You can get the low-down on another Australian forum called: Australian Hunting Net, pages and pages of discussion on the topic, why, exactly who and the "Official Response" from the individual who was getting this all together in the S.A. Police Firearms branch. He had to respond due to all of the complaint letters they received both at a political level and Police level. If no one had complained I'm certain it would have been a shoe-in without issue and you and I would now be battling 'restrictions'.

The fuss was the fact the individual could enact these 'restrictions' without any consultation with any portions of the firearms community, no justification, reason, research or logics as to why. Remember this all started when they conducted a search of a home where a legally owned 'large calibre rifle' was correctly stored in S.A. and confiscated it there and then - just took it without compensation and claimed it could "shoot down planes". The ruse was a firearms inspection and after they got what they came for promptly left without a care for the other firearms the owner had ready for inspection. I believe the quote from one of the attending officers was: "We've got what we came for...". Then in the official response claimed they had made an error by allowing the rifle to be purchased in the first place...

An individual who spoke directly with the firearms department in S.A. received advice that this was not going to be just S.A. and soon to be enacted Nationally around Australia.

That my friend was what the FUSS was about!:)

Sorry mods (referencing another forum on this one:D).

Cheers.

CenterHit, have there been any large caliber restrictions in the NT? I cant speak for other states as i have no idea, but here in QLD nothing has changed, so far there is no "large caliber retrictions" So whats all the fuss about?

Last edited:
Well it turns out i have read the official response to the incident you refer to in SA.

http://huntandshoot.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/sapol-large-cal-fa-letter-1.pdf

The 2 firearms that were confiscated were 50BMG derivatives and they were mistakenly issued the PTA when they shouldnt have in the first place. The confiscated rifles were passed onto a firearms dealer for lawful disposal and allowed the owner the opportunity to recover the moneys invested in them. it goes on to say the police are in discussion relating to the 3rd firearm (338 lapua) and its continued ownership.

50BMGs have always been a problem tho, so i dont see any "issue" yet. I have friends in SA that own .338 LAPUA rifles and they have not been confiscated... i just sold my .338 EDGE to a bloke in SA, still no "issues"

so what is all the fuss about? its all paranoia... ill bet you 50 bux the PTA for my .375 "ultra long range" rifle gets approved, LRH can hold the money in trust until the permit is back... wanna take this wager?

Hi Groper,

Fortunately, all is quiet in the N.T. with this nonsense at the moment.

The main States of interest were: W.A. and S.A. - as I'm sure you are aware the S.A. Police firearms department making all the noise about a list of calibres that were basically 'banned' as they would not easily provide a Permit To Purchase certificate to buy. Cals like: 338 Lapau Magnum, Any Chey Tac e.t.c. - all of the 'tactical' type cals that are of course vastly more dangerous than any others...:rolleyes:

You can get the low-down on another Australian forum called: Australian Hunting Net, pages and pages of discussion on the topic, why, exactly who and the "Official Response" from the individual who was getting this all together in the S.A. Police Firearms branch. He had to respond due to all of the complaint letters they received both at a political level and Police level. If no one had complained I'm certain it would have been a shoe-in without issue and you and I would now be battling 'restrictions'.

The fuss was the fact the individual could enact these 'restrictions' without any consultation with any portions of the firearms community, no justification, reason, research or logics as to why. Remember this all started when they conducted a search of a home where a legally owned 'large calibre rifle' was correctly stored in S.A. and confiscated it there and then - just took it without compensation and claimed it could "shoot down planes". Then in the official response claimed they had made an error by allowing the rifle to be purchased in the first place...

An individual who spoke directly with the firearms department in S.A. received advice that this was not going to be just S.A. and soon to be enacted Nationally around Australia.

That my friend was what the FUSS was about!:)

Sorry mods (referencing another forum on this one:D).

Cheers.

Last edited:
Interesting, I thought they did not receive any financial compensation.

I hope your right and that most of it is just hearsay/rumour/paranoia. I also hope that it hasn't raised the profile of the issue too much, that just often just seems to drag in more people to lobby against firearms, whether they know what the original issue was or not.

groper, so you read the official response, SAPOL response!

I didn't see in the response that no-one will be issued a PTA for the firearms, so who is going to be able to buy them? (they were issued wrongly in the first place!)
Basically, legislated confiscation- no compensation. He is forced to sell to someone who can't buy.

Who says you can't use one of these calibres for hunting large game, who says you can't target shoot one of these calibres safely on private property?

I have owned one since 1996, shoot large game & target shoot safely, now SAPOL say I can't own it anymore, & I can't sell it because they won't grant a PTA.

There was no mistake in letting people own these firearms, some dull spark in SAPOL has now determined that these caliberes are unsafe, if they can do it to these, any caliber is susseptable!

Don't get sucked into the "I don't own one so it doesn't affect me" attitude, they are great to shoot & very effective on large game. This is a gun grab by SAPOL & it must be fought against.

In NSW we dont have any caliber questions on our pta's,is it not the same in all states,just seem's funny the firearms registry would accidently issue something that wasn't correct.iIm throwing my ssaa membership in the bin if we can't get some help to resolve this nonsense.If anyone is looking for a custom 338 lapua pm me.

300R, don't be too hasty to dump your SSAA membership, we all need to stick together on this, you guys in NSW have the Shooters Party as well to keep an eye on your interests in Parliament, pity the other "She Be Right Mate " States can't get their act together.

Hang in there mate, she aint over yet!

Thanks Master Blaster,

This is the attitude we MUST rid ourselves of:

"She'll be right mate - I own blah, blah rifle and it doesn't affect me..."

We must be ONE and fight this nonsense together, as the old saying goes "All as one" as eventually if we do nothing and let the rot occur around us, it will be everyone's issue and the restrictions will keep coming unabated.

Cheers.

300R, don't be too hasty to dump your SSAA membership, we all need to stick together on this, you guys in NSW have the Shooters Party as well to keep an eye on your interests in Parliament, pity the other "She Be Right Mate " States can't get their act together.

Hang in there mate, she aint over yet!

Apparently they think that your natural right to defend yourself ends with .308 caliber...

Silly Aussies - in your founding documents it must say: "we are endowed by our government with certain inalienable rights." ... when it should say "we are endowed by our creator with certain inaleanable rights." That way, your elected officials in the government wouldn't be able to take away something which don't come from them in the first place. If I were you I'd call some sort of convention and seek a rules change. :D

It looks like NSW may after all have something to worry about. The number of licenses (law abiding folks) is up is a good thing...not sure what part of that the Police Commissioner doesn't comprehend.

Why can't those bloody police commissioners leave us LAFOs in piece and concentrate on illegal firearms in the hands of criminals. Talk about focusing on the wrong target.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.