Where to LR hunt in Vic, Australia?

dangaff

I realise that most hunting in Victoria, Australia is pretty heavy wood terrain.
Sambar habitat in other words.

So where do you blokes long range hunt in Victoria?

Is there any hunt-able forests that have decent clearings, open plains or at least some half visible forest cliff faces?
Or do most you lot hunt private property which just has rolling green grass hills?

Cheers
Dan

Anywhere you have a good field of view.

Cross gully
from cliffs into gullys
Get high look down
Up hill shots under cliffs etc

You don't necessarily need clearings as you will see the deer moving through fairly thick stuff, if you have a good vantage point obviously before first light in position so you have the best chance of seeing them coming up, and on last night to watch em coming down.

There are heaps of places to go you just have to look for them.

I have found that many places to use a LR rifle this year and last hence the reason why I am building a long range cannon :D

No one is going to give you the GPS co ordiantes of their favourite spot X

You need to get out and do some exploration into areas that look good on a map. That inlcudes 4wd's.. heavy packs and lots of walking with very strong legs!

There are lots of areas you can LR hunt.. However, you need to get the fundamentals right before attempting LR hunting.. Open plain farm fringe is a lot easier than the Mountains .. SA is a good spot to hone skills required.

If you cant shoot tight groups out wide in practice with the right equipment you have no business attempting this LR gig. Too many young blokes think its the answer to big stags.. Its not ...

Too many blokes want the easy animal and think its going to be easy! If you havent shot Sambar with normal hunting methods you will struggle big time with this LR stuff..
The best of the best equipment is required.. To optics, Top custom built rifles.

What sort of rifle and calibre do you have ?

There are heaps of places for LR hunting in Vic. In fact that is what's given me the LR bug. I got sick of walking them up through the bush slogging it out to just bump deer all day, instead now I just like to sit and watch a distant face with 15x swaros, much easier on my fatt ***! There are heaps of spots up the high country. Do what we all did and get out there and find some spots.
Cheers apples

There are heaps of places for LR hunting in Vic. In fact that is what's given me the LR bug. I got sick of walking them up through the bush slogging it out to just bump deer all day, instead now I just like to sit and watch a distant face with 15x swaros, much easier on my fatt ***! There are heaps of spots up the high country. Do what we all did and get out there and find some spots.
Cheers apples

"So where do you blokes long range hunt in Victoria?

Is there any hunt-able forests that have decent clearings, open plains or at least some half visible forest cliff faces?
Or do most you lot hunt private property which just has rolling green grass hills?"

"There are heaps of spots up the high country. Do what we all did and get out there and find some spots."

Listen to the advice being given by Signature 542 and others. It doesn't come any better.

Unfortunately no-one is gonna give you a location of where they hunt so it's a case of "get off your ***" and do some hard yards and find these spots yourself 'coz no-one is gonna hand feed you in this game. Sorry as I don't mean to be rude but "those are" the cold hard facts in the real world.

Happy hunting

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.