ladder test? does it work

[ QUOTE ]
If you wouldn't mind sometime typing out your method, I would certainly be interested in reading it.

I just don't have the time right now to do a road trip down to Utah

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, when things slow down around here I'll start a new post and explain what I can.

[ QUOTE ]
GG,
My friend, just because I believe in the ladder test does not mean I'm putting down your experience and knowledge. No Sir! If you ever write your procedure for reloading I'd love to read it and if you were to make a book with it I'd be the first one to buy it! Sure!!! I do respect and honor your accomplishments

[/ QUOTE ]

Eaglet,
We're good. I don't want you to think I was upset because you like the ladders and I am not as much a fan of them. They are simply two different roads that are designed to go to the same place and even cross paths in places. No biggie. I mentioned that I've never used pure ladders in my own guns nor in our clients guns not to put up a point that anyone needs to honor, I mentioned it because it proved my point there are other ways. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I do thank you for your kind words about the book. If I ever find the time to post my entire procedure here it will sure look like a book! It might be the longest post on LRH!

phorwath,

Thank you. You bring up some good points that I will comment on.

First of all, I will say again that the ladder tests do show validity and if done correctly, will show good nodes. The fact that very knowledgeable shooters such as BH and others use it shows it can work. As I said before, the scientific method I use and the ladder test you describe borrow traits from each other in places. I have just found that the scientific method reduces error in your results because it more or less eliminates or significantly reduces wind, mirage, and shooter error as factors. It also shows little anomalies that are often overlooked or invisible with ladder tests. I'll get to this in a minute.

[ QUOTE ]
I've more or less concluded that a ladder test cluster that also coincides with several consecutive loads with similar velocity (little velocity gain per incremental powder charge increase) is a potentially good powder charge zone, worth further research.

[/ QUOTE ]

For the most part, this is true. However, sometimes with certain powders in certain calibers, incremental increases in velocity are common and have no bearing on a good load or node. I have seen it numerous times in big magnums with H1000 for instance. I would run up .5 increments and the speed would only go up 10 fps and sometimes it would even get slower with more powder. The ladder would show that any of these loads were a good spot but in reality, the standard deviation on a 3 shot group of that charge would be 35 or something! So just because the velo is similiar in different charges doesn't mean it will always yeild a good load.

And on the opposite side of that point, there are many times where the scientific method will show a sweet spot that is inbetween the incremental charge below and above by as much as 50 fps! In other words, this "X" charge jumped up the velocity 50 fps from the last load but it had an sd of 3 and produced great accuracy. So the ladder would show it out of a peak and not worth pursuing.

Also, when graphing the ladder test, it would not show the other anomalie I have seen many times I call group shape. It is widely known in benchrest that group shape can tell you a lot about your load. "Roundness" of a group can be tweaked by seating depth and vertical can mean too little powder charge. Left/right spread groups in a no wind condition can mean trigger pull issues and so forth. These are things that scientific method will show while doing load development and the ladder can only show after a load has been "found" and then repeated in normal multiple shot groups which eats up more barrel life. For instance, when I was working up a load for my 338 thunder last spring, I found H1000 to give small sd's and produce fair groups at 100 yards in the neighborhood of 5/8" to 7/8" but the groups were always very round shaped and on the same area of the target no matter what charge was used. IRM7828ssc produced the same sd's(standard deviations) but shot phenomenal sized groups usually in the 1/4" to 3/8" area. However, despite having smaller groups, the groups originated on different places on the target with each incremental increase of powder and the group shape was always "stacked" vertically in neat, small fenceposts.
Well, when both of these powders were checked at 1000 yards, the H1000 shot nice round groups around .75 moa and the IMR7828ssc shot vertical fenceposts in the area of 1.5 to 2 MOA! Remember, both these loads showed good standard deviation. Group shape is important and the ladder doesn't show this until after the development has been "done" and Scientific method shows it while doing the development.

So to say you are killing two birds with one bullet by using the ladder test is actually just taking two bullets to kill one bird in my opinion. The idea that anyone can say the ladder test saves you ammo is simply false. To do what you or BH said and chrono and retest and then chrono and retest any ladder proves that it takes just as much time to run a properly conducted ladder as it does a scientific method test and possibly even more.

Now I will freely admit that the scientific method requires a longer learning curve to "read" what is going on. And I further admit that it is harder to do because of this. In the whole spectrum of shooters out there, there is probably less than 10% that have enough experience and knowledge to be able to make heads or tails of the data the chrono and paper target is telling them. But I would say 90% of them could learn it if they tried it. The other 10% are the guys who think chronographs are for sissys! Just load them and shoot them right?!

[ QUOTE ]
As you have posted more than once, low ES and SD is mandatory for truly long range shooting in order to minmize vertical spread.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fully believe this to be true. How can 5 bullets having speeds that vary as much as 50 fps all go into a small group at 1000 yards unless the wind "lucked" them into the group. My luck dictates that if I'm not paying attention to it, the wind will take my bullets OUT of the group!

Even some loads that shoot in the .1" range at 100 yards from my 6br or 6ppc have sd's around 20 or 30 and that group stays pretty small until some distance is applied and then you wouldn't be able to hit anything but a flag pole at long range. Some at the top, some at the middle, and some at the base!

But as I mentioned earlier with the IMR7828ssc in my .338, low sd's are necessary for good long range accuracy, but they also need to produce good shaped groups sometimes to really be accurate out there at distance.

[ QUOTE ]
So if good accuracy and precision can also be attained by developing loads with a chronograph, we kill two birds with one... bullet?

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said earlier in another post, if you are going to run a ladder with a chrono for ease of obtaining more information about your ladder, why not use the chrono to run a scientific method and throw out the ladder. It seems like running two things at once would be harder than just doing one thing at a time. ANd that can't possibly save you ammo. It's kind of like buying a car so you can get rid of your horse and buggy but instead tying your horses behind your car for more luggage space. It makes more sense to me to run a ladder because a guy doesn't have a chrono than it does to have a chrono and still be running ladders. Just my opinion though!

GG,

I like to think of myself as a practical thinker and that's probably by I went into engineering. I have a shooters crony, ya know the ones you can buy at sportsmans warehoure for 90 bucks. I also run some frequency studies on different materials at work and have studied harmonics enough to feel that they have a role in accuracy. I also have sent very meticulously loaded bullets through that darn crony and I seem to get some rather large spreads. I am putting the bullet through the 4" to 6" sweet spot and its a good 10' or 15' from the muzzle. After uniforming all necks to get consistent neck thickness, weighing cases, ect. my next step is to measure base of bullet to ogive and seprate bullets by weight. If SD and ES doesn't get any lower I'm going to shoot some ladders then shoot an average to get my velocity.

Do you think this is a logical approach? What crony do you use? I would think that for someone without a top of the line cronograph ladders would be a good way to reach a convergence.

GG

I would like to hear just exactly what this "scientific' method is?

How it is done?

How it IDs the upper and lower end of nodes? If it does not do that, then a load will shoot good one day and if the temp goes up it will be all over the place.

How it IDs the upper pressure range for that bullet powder combo?

How it does it with less rounds fired than a ladder.

I am all for something that works, and do not mind testing it. Particularily if it works faster than a ladder. I just find it hard to believe that you are shooting groups and ID the upper pressure limits and upper and lower ends of nodes in less than 30 rds.

I use a ladder to find my upper end of pressure, my nodes and then standard accuracy loading techniques for fine tuning loads. I too look for low ES and SD and then test LR. So I doubt we are very disimilar from that point.

I am interested how you use your technique to get the fine load Testing point with less than 20-30 rds fired which is normally all it takes with with a ladder and yet find those key points.

IMO if it does not ID those points then calling it "scientific" is wishfull thinking.

But I will sure try it if you say and show how it does all that. Got a new M40A1 just waiting to test.

I am all for less shooting and faster load development.

BH

Re: Load Development by Ladder Test and/or Chronograph

Thanks for responding GG. I read your post carefully. I think I generally understand your load development technique - looking for velocity nodes that yield low ES & SD with a bullet/powder combination, which are essential for precise long range shooting. I'll keep an eye out in case you generate that ' long ' post covering long-range-hunting load development.

<u>BountyHunter</u> ; also appreciate your posts detailing your experience with, and use of, the Ladder Test.

Both load development techniques obviously work well or you two wouldn't stick with them over the long haul. It seems that the two techniques can share some common ground, provided a good quality chronograph is also employed during the ladder tests.

Cruizin,

What kind of Sd's are you getting now? You sound like your doing many things that help narrow down the load already. It should have already given you low sd's if your chrony is worth it's salt. HOw many powders have you tried?

Unfortunately, Sportsmans Warehouse is way behind the times when it comes to chronographs. All they offer is shooters chronys which are about as good as the stuff that comes out of the south end of a north bound yak. I use one because I got it for $20 but it never gets put 10 feet from the muzzle. It is the chrono I put at 300 feet from the muzzle to get a ballistic coefficient reading. ANd it will only read on certain days and only if the bullet goes right past the brass elbows. 1" too high or too low will throw it off bad. Come to think of it, they are the most expensive chrono I have ever used because after all the gas, powder, bullets, and time is added up in trying to figure them out, you could have bought an Oehler 5 times over! I should say would have because you reportedly can't get an Oehler for the next few years.

[ QUOTE ]
What crony do you use?

[/ QUOTE ]

An Oehler 35. Now that it is gone, I don't know what I would buy. Everything else on the market only has two skyscreens and is on a short distance between them. If a fire were burning my house down, I would run into it to get my Oehler and leave my guns behind! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I would think that for someone without a top of the line cronograph ladders would be a good way to reach a convergence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could possibly be.

In a nutshell, the scientific method is the method often described in precision shooting magazine. I alter it very little from how they do it.

Also in a nutshell, it is run by picking a bullet, picking a powder or two, loading 3 shots of each charge and incrementally going up in powder charge by .3 or .5 grain from a mid point to a point where the pressure signs show up while watching for Sd nodes and group sizes. Once a good sd is found that shows good accuracy and group shape/size, it is repeated at short range and then long range.
This method shows the upper node and lower node quite well as well as seeing how fast your gun will push a bullet past the upper node (this is not entirely safe and should only be done carefully and is not all that important because once you reach the upper node, the gun usually won't shoot good past this point anyway but it is interesting to see).

Remember, this is the condensed nutshell version but you get the point.

If you are honestly (and I have always trusted you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) only taking 30 shots to run and re-run a ladder then I will flat out admit that the scientific method may not be faster. It usually takes me between 20 and 50 shots to tell when a powder is not going to cut the mustard and another one must be tried.

Scientific method was not named by me by the way. It probably has many different names but that is the first one I heard and makes the most sense to me. No matter what we call it, it sounds like the tail end of your loading procedure incorporates it anyway. Once the charge has been identified by running your ladder, you say you fine tune it by using standard accuracy loading techiniques. Are you shooting 3 shot or 5 shot groups of one charge to see group size and shape by doing this? If so, you are using the basic same method I use. You just fired one shot of each charge from the top to the bottom of pressure nodes to get the sweet spot. I did the same thing basically but I fired three shots instead while looking for group size and similiar impact areas on target.

Does any of that make any sense at all? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Thanks for the reply goodgrouper. I can't seem to get consistent readings from that **** shooters crony. My es is too large to even calculate or care about the sd. I know its not even close to single digits. I've tried 3 powders now and working on the 4th. I have found good loads that group well at 100yrds with all the powders but I keep changing bullets ect. Your right though I could have bought a much better cronograph with all the gas, powder, bullets and time at the range.

gg

You and I are basically doing the same thing, which is what it sounded like you were doing. I run one ladder of 20-30 shots to find nodes and upper. You are doing the same thing with 3 shot groups, little more rounds fired but little more reliance in data. I have had lot of luck with the technique I described and have confidence. If I did not I would use yours.

after that we both are doing essentially the same type precision loading tech to fine tune loads.

Only thing I normally do is at the end run a mini ladder with single shots above and below my final load just to see if the final load is still in the middle of the node and the MV jumps are similar to what I orignally saw.

BH

The same thing happened to a good friend of mine. He went and developed a wildcat and found a load that shot well but his Pact chrono showed his load really would have been garbage at long range but he shot really well at distance. So we put the gun on the bench and shot through my Oehler and low and behold, his load really had an sd of 1 instead of twenty-something his Pact said!

GG,

If you have a copy of Glen Zediker's book, "Handloading for Competition - making the target bigger", on pg. 372, you should see a picture of what, I believe, you are describing. It is an Audette ladder method but uses 5-shot groups vs your 3-shot and our 1-shot groups.

Your "group shape" theory makes perfect sense to me and I feel that I totally agree with what you are doing. Alas, it does take a few more rounds to wring out the ES/SD info but it a necessity as it is when only using 1-shot ladders. I'd say the only difference is the 3 to 5 shot ladders are looking for ES/SD/group shape at the same time, where as the 1-shot ladders look for it after the initial ladder.

Does that make sense?

I'd often thought of trying the method described in Zediker's book but hesitated due to the extra expediture of components and barrel life. Now that I see the value of it, I think I might start utilizing it.

Cruizin, I've posted these numbers once before but I thought it might be of interest to the newer members.

Grouper and I were testing a load for a 300 RUM that shot very well at 100 to 1100 yds. We had GGs Oehler set up at 10 ft with A Pro Chrono brand chronogragh in front and a Shooting Chrony (Betta Master)behind. We shot a six shot string and the following numbers are an eye opener.

Oehler--------Pro chrono---Beta Master
3354-------------3324-----------3290
3351-------------3339-----------3301
3355-------------3333-----------3293
3359-------------3345-----------3289
3355-------------3324-----------3280
3350-------------3321-----------3275

As you can see if you were relying on the two cheaper Chronograghs you would have thought that the load was a bad one with high ES and SDs!!! The Good Chronogragh pays for itself very quickly!!!----RHB

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.