Labradar vs magnetospeed v3

Labradar or magnetospeed

• Total voters
Labradar is my vote. In addition to above comments, I pull my SD card after each session at the range and download the info into my computer. Super easy. Really makes BC verification easy and documents every shot for precise calculations. I use it with Quickloads for load development. Saves an incredible amount of time and reloading component expense.

I have both, finally made the switch to Labradar and could not be happier. I use the JKL trigger and never miss a shot.
The Magneto is accurate, but the added weight on sporter barrels moves the POI too much.

I have the Labradar and no experience with the Magneto. X2 on the suggestion for the JKL trigger. I was about to lose my mind with the Labradar dropping shots in Doppler mode. Might have been my setup but no issues now.

I have both. Since I bought the Labradar 6 months ago I have yet to use my V3. There is an indoor range I go to occasionally and I would have to use the v3 there as there is no room to setup the labradar.

Both work well. The labradar is more versatile.

Like several have posted, I have/use both. I was so disgusted with the LabRadar because the mic missed about every 3rd or 4th shot that I was about ready to throw it in the trash. The support at LabRadar was of little help other than asking me to try different settings. Really tough (and costly) to develop new loads when data for a shot is missing. A person here on LRH recommended a remote trigger switch and that helped.........except if used with an AR15 or other semi-automatic. Releasing the bolt to load a new round triggers the LabRadar and then you have to manually delete that shot or the data is not correct.

With the MagnetoSpeed, I have found it to be 100% reliable. No missed or extraneous shots. No picking up shot data from the guy shooting next to you.

I have tested load development with both the LabRadar and MagnetoSpeed on an AR15, .243 Win, 6BR, 6.5 CM, .30-06 Spfd and .338 Lapua Mag. Your mileage may vary, but is see no measurable difference in POI. Any difference I see is due to the shooter (me). When developing loads, I shoot for best speed node first and change seating depth for groups so if there is any POI shift, it really doesn't matter.

So the net/net for me is reliability and I have to give a slight advantage to MagnetoSpeed. The cost is slightly less so another nod to MagnetoSpeed. The third nod goes to MagnetoSpeed since it weighs less and is not as delicate as a LabRadar unit. At our range I have seen 3 LabRadar units with substantial damage after falling off the bench. The MagnetoSpeed has an unbiblical cord that attaches to the bayonet that is short enough that it catches the control box before hitting the concrete.

Anyway.....my 2 cents worth. YMMV.

I own and use both with good results, but find myself mostly choosing to use the LabRadar. I do find POI shifts with the MS, and most of my velocity testing also includes testing POI which makes the LR the obvious choice.

I bought a v3 and articulating arm to keep it off the barrel, used it twice and hated setting it up between multiple guns, so I sold it and got the labradar. I run pistols and rifles suppressed with the labradar and it works perfectly. Got a cheap tripod for it to put it close to the gun. Also got the jk plug in trigger for it which helps to never miss a shot.

Most of the posts above give some good information about LabRadar ops some show a level of misinformation or a lack of knowledge on what is the biggest feature of the product.

I have destroyed a number of optical Chronographs located downrange trying to establish Actual Ballistic Coefficients (BC) shielding them and going COLD on the Range to move them or to gather up the parts was a PITA!
LabRadar all the way because it is the cheaper way to get Actual BC not someone elses rifle, barrel, load, projectile BC data. If you don't understand that major difference then ask why none of the other Prosumer products can do that.

Actual BC is the reason I use a LabRadar.

I shoot firearms and Adult Airguns from .177 to .575 caliber and am here to tell you that a properly set up unit will not miss shots. Do NOT use the Doppler triggering mode unless there is no other way. I use the external microphone ad have found placement relative to muzzle is the key. I (a another poster has talked about) download the data to my computer fo processing. There is way more data points that the LabRadar collects than most users (even knowledgeable ones) realize is collected with every shot.
One last thing: On my .308 DAQ LA air rifle (over 250 FPE) I use a Donny FL EMPEROR v3 Silencer and six inch extension for a rodent flatus quiet report.
The microphone trigger has never missed a shot.

Buy once cry once, LOL! You will save plenty once you know the Actual BC of your labor!

shootski

Sorry to be another pain but could you link to battery/cable you use and tripod setup? Thanks!
No problem.

Battery:

Tripod:

Thanks for the explanation. BTW is that at Alpine (pic)?
Outside of Fort Worth at a private club.

Glad this was brought up ive been debating this same question for my first chrono. Sounds like you need the LR, mount/tripod, external battery, and possibly a trigger? Does that sound correct??
And a Pelican 1520 case to put it all in!

Mine, pre-tigger: I set an orange speed square inside the case before I close it, that's my fancy aiming device.
1.jpg

Where I got the idea from:
Labradar Pelican case - no base.jpg

No problem.

Battery:

Tripod:

Outside of Fort Worth at a private club.

And a Pelican 1520 case to put it all in!

Mine, pre-tigger: I set an orange speed square inside the case before I close it, that's my fancy aiming device.
View attachment 264577

Where I got the idea from:
View attachment 264576
Snazzy. 👍🇺🇲

Recent Posts