Labradar vs magnetospeed v3

Labradar or magnetospeed

• Total voters

Bigeclipse

I currently have a magnetospeed v3 and while it works very well for my current needs I've got some extra cash and have been contemplating a labradar. I like the idea of being able to chrobo hand guns and archery. For my rifles, I don't really shoot for groups while chronoing so I'm not sure it will give any advantages for that. Please vote and also leave comments on what you think.

I have the V3 and am wanting to get my hands on the labradar. The complaints that I've heard involve pointing the gizmo at the target. You should be able to shoot groups easily once you get it squared away.

Far as I'm concerned, the V3 is good at reading velocities. Shooting groups with something hanging off the end of the barrel is a waste of time IMHO. Once you take it off, your rifle will shoot to a different POI (sporter contour barrels).

In any event, if you buy one let us know how it goes. 👍🇺🇲

I wish I got paid to give my subjective non bias worthless opinion every time this question comes up.
I have both, think they are both great products/tools but when I go to chrono loads or for any type of testing I grab the Magneto 80% of the timely due to the ease of set up(when testing one firearm) for me.
I don't shoot at ranges often but, when I shoot with others the Lab seems to occasionally pick up shots of the shooters next to me and it is maddening and the setup is a bit of a pain sometimes.
The Magneto on the other hand I have to set up for every rifle or pistol change and some of the attachments have to be rigged(like my long slide auto handguns.
I have far more to say but will close with saying, the Magneto is built by good people and it rarely if ever doesn't read shots.
Best of luck, don't think you will go wrong with either.

I use an inertia switch and a battery pack with my LabRader. I don't miss any shots unless I don't arm it. No aiming problems, no triggering problems, have never picked up someone else's shot. The menu layout isn't the best but after a year of use it's intuitive enough. I use a high quality camera tripod under it and it's been more than stable enough.

I chrony every shot I take at the range now. There's no reason not to, it only takes 5 minutes to set the LR up. If you really want top get serious about ES/SD you need to increase sample sizes. Oh look at my 5 shot ES of 8! I'm a master reloader! Start catching 40-50 shots in a row and you'll you'll think the sun sets out of your behind when you get an SD of 8 and you'll want to cut someone for commenting on your ES of 35.

Last edited:
I use an inertia switch and a battery pack with my LabRader. I don't miss any shots unless I don't arm it. No aiming problems, no triggering problems, have never picked up someone else's shot. The menu layout isn't the best but after a year of use it's intuitive enough. I use a high quality camera tripod under it and it's been more than stable enough.

I chrony every shot I take at the range now. There's no reason not to, it only takes 5 minutes to set the LR up. If you really want top get serious about ES/SD you need to increase sample sizes. Oh look at my 5 shot ES of 8! I'm a master reloader! Start catching 40-50 shots in a row and you'll you'll think the sun sets out of your behind when you get an SD of 8 and you'll want to cut someone for commenting on your ES of 35.

Would you 'splain how you mount and use the switch & battery pack?

This.... I have never had any issue and never even aim it precisely.
Labradar by a mile....

I have been using a V3 for a few years and my #1 complaint is I can NOT evaluate a group off of the rifle I am chronographing while the V3 is on it. I have seen tight groups while shooting with the V3 on only to take it off and the groups go to hell. The V3 is IMO a very accurate chronograph but I don't ever consider the groups I shoot while it's hanging on a barrel and that does give an advantage to the labradar.