Kyle’s Trophy Buck

Someone explain to me the difference between a high fence and a private ranch that has food plots and only lets a few high paid hunters in per year to hunt a highly managed population of deer. There is no high fence in MT but there is plenty of exclusive very high dollar organizations that harbor massive numbers of animals that only very well connected hunters ever get a chance to hunt. Would there be the same disparaging remarks for a hunter hunted a ranch like that?
Probably not! The chance of escape exists on unfenced properties. So, it's free range, just managed well.

Hunting private land is pricey because of the money that goes into it. Most either don't make money or make a very small profit margin. The hunting isn't necessarily a "gimme" on fenced or unfenced.

My most expensive year, I spent $60k on feed and $60k on other expenses. I only brought in $45k.

High fence allows you to manage without fear of neighbors shooting the game you bought or have fed and managed.

Private lands offer no guarantees the deer will stay. It's up to the landowner to manage the property for wildlife.

The private land system is by far the most beneficial to all wildlife. Birds, game and non game animals. It prioritizes game over livestock and occasionally, the bigger properties employ managers with nutrition or game management degrees.

On an average year, from my cabin, i could shoot over 100 deer, 20 moose, and 10 bears. No need to go outside, or take a shot more than 30 yards ever, usually much less.
View attachment 517414View attachment 517415View attachment 517420View attachment 517421

They are not hard to hunt, that's for sure.
Lucky for them that I don't shoot them.
Pics out of my cabin window....moose and bear under 25 yards if I shot them. The 1 moose was laying down, and looking at me, talk about an easy head shot. Usually if i tap on my windows, they look at me, so make an Easy between the eyes shot, they would be dead in 1/10th of a second.
The deer come even closer, under 10 yards, and more plentiful.
I've had days i could shoot 5 at a time.
View attachment 517414View attachment 517415
So what is land cost per acre up there? Down here it is stupid money

Someone explain to me the difference between a high fence and a private ranch that has food plots and only lets a few high paid hunters in per year to hunt a highly managed population of deer. There is no high fence in MT but there is plenty of exclusive very high dollar organizations that harbor massive numbers of animals that only very well connected hunters ever get a chance to hunt. Would there be the same disparaging remarks for a hunter hunted a ranch like that?
I think that would be dependent on whether or not the High Fence operations are Breeding the Deer selectively. No breeding operation should have a Deer eligible to be scored...Just my HO! Where has fair chase gone! In enclosed paddocks is it still called Hunting ....or is it called Shooting?

I think that would be dependent on whether or not the High Fence operations are Breeding the Deer selectively. No breeding operation should have a Deer eligible to be scored...Just my HO! Where has fair chase gone! In enclosed paddocks is it still called Hunting ....or is it called Shooting?

There are quite a few trophy whitetail breeding operations around the country. Elk too, for that matter. They're all ending up somewhere for hunting opportunities. Some places that advertise exceptional bucks every year are likely to have purchased captive bred animals.

I won't espouse a position on all of this but whenever I see a freaky giant buck taken, it sure makes me wonder.

For those dissin' on Texas, we have the biggest variety of wild, native game: Nobody else has the variety of native game we have.

We have Elk, Alligator, Desert Bighorn, Black Bear, Pronghorn, Mulies, Whitetail, Mountain Lion and Javelina.

Then, start looking into huge wild, free range populations of non-native animals like Aoudad, Wild Hogs, Axis and Fallow Deer.

There are huge ranches that have started free range populations of Ibex, Urials and Red Sheep.

While common, our hunting is hardly represented by Whitetails under feeders.

Probably not! The chance of escape exists on unfenced properties. So, it's free range, just managed well.

Hunting private land is pricey because of the money that goes into it. Most either don't make money or make a very small profit margin. The hunting isn't necessarily a "gimme" on fenced or unfenced.

My most expensive year, I spent $60k on feed and $60k on other expenses. I only brought in $45k.

High fence allows you to manage without fear of neighbors shooting the game you bought or have fed and managed.

Private lands offer no guarantees the deer will stay. It's up to the landowner to manage the property for wildlife.

The private land system is by far the most beneficial to all wildlife. Birds, game and non game animals. It prioritizes game over livestock and occasionally, the bigger properties employ managers with nutrition or game management degrees.
Absolutely no doubt it's beneficial to to the animals! But what about middle class and low income hunters? What about actual Meat hunters....I'm not ready to see my Son's and my 12 grandchildren loose out in their heritage hunting rights to European style hunting and private land owner game management. Just me!

I don't care if it's a high fence kill on 4200 acres or killed inside his crew cab, if the hunter wants to do it that way who gives a crap. I don't shoot Hammer bullets and don't have an interest in them. All these negative comments sound like a bunch of unhappy women WOW. It's a great trophy just the same.

I have never seen a pronghorn jump a fence. They find a place to crawl under. They are not jumpers.

I have hunted them more times than I can count. I have never been the only hunter in the area. When they encounter other hunters they run a long ways. Likely in the direction of other hunters. I guess I and every other hunter that I have ever met are "lesser hunters".
download.jpeg
images.jpeg

Never seen them jump either...they can only CRAWL!

For those dissin' on Texas, we have the biggest variety of wild, native game: Nobody else has the variety of native game we have.

We have Elk, Alligator, Desert Bighorn, Black Bear, Pronghorn, Mulies, Whitetail, Mountain Lion and Javelina.

Then, start looking into huge wild, free range populations of non-native animals like Aoudad, Wild Hogs, Axis and Fallow Deer.

There are huge ranches that have started free range populations of Ibex, Urials and Red Sheep.

While common, our hunting is hardly represented by Whitetails under feeders.
Man I love Texas. Can't wait till I can retire and join you fine folks. You guys truly have a paradise.

Absolutely no doubt it's beneficial to to the animals! But what about middle class and low income hunters? What about actual Meat hunters....I'm not ready to see my Son's and my 12 grandchildren loose out in their heritage hunting rights to European style hunting and private land owner game management. Just me!
Not sure there is an easy answer. You can't get "private land" experiences on a ramen noodle budget.

You can walk in on a backcountry hunt. Get cow tags. Save up points for a good area.

If you want meat, there are a lot of guys who would trade a days labor for hunting some does and pigs for meat.

If you aren't willing to do one of those options, you don't want it bad enough.

I have been in this business for 25 years. My observation is that 90% of these guys hunting private land or going overseas are not super wealthy. The average guy hunting private lands made sacrifices, they worked for the money, they made it a priority and paid for the experience.

Not much difference btwn the two.

It's sad how both sides can draw lines, establish allegiances, attack and dehumanize the other... and see no fault in it.

Yet the facts do stand on their own for those with the slightest bit of discernment.

High fence hunts are a lower class of hunt. Fact. If the animal can't get away, and can essentially be chased around a big cage... then there's nothing about that which is on the same playing field as a hunt in the open. That's not even available for debate.

What we do matters. Notice how it's always the people engaging in the "lesser" forms of any activity that complain about being looked down at? They get mad if everyone doesn't validate their actions. They are the ones saying how arrogant, sanctimonious, and elitist those of us that hold ourselves to a higher standard are. Those pursuing lesser forms are always trying to justify their lesser behaviors. They want to be made to feel good while doing it. Yet there's no reason for them to have the same good feelings as someone gets from a true wild hunt, whether private or public. They are choosing to deny themselves that the very moment they decide to shoot a pen raised animal.

Lucky for them, the vast majority of the population is on their side. Most want everything easy and they want the same recognition as if it were hard. Still, for those hunting high fence that don't try to justify it, and categorize it properly as lesser... there's nothing wrong with that. Especially if that's the only hunting they have access to. There's lots of reasons why the deer farm thing might be the only thing people can do, and those reasons are getting more plentiful every day.

As per usual, the only problem is when those hunting high fence think what they are doing is in the same category as those hunting the wilds. It isn't, and if someone insists that an untruth is truth, there will be, is, and should be a problem.

...and you can count me as another one that has noticed lots and lots of threads on this forum turning into a hammer bullet threads somehow, when they shouldn't. Though how fortunate they must feel to have cultivated a following such as they have. Yet are we really not going to acknowledge that this thread literally is a hammer bullets thread, started by hammer bullets? If there's one place that the discussion of hammer bullets should be expected, is on a thread started by them. So I think this is probably not the proper place to admonish that, though there is no shortage of other threads where it would be quite fitting.

On the topic of the deer in question... at least it was a mature animal, which is more than I can say of most of the "trophys" I see posted on this site showing 1.5-3.5yr old animals getting blasted by the same guys every single year. Also, it goes without saying the critter could likely have been killed by literally any implement, including a pan fired musket. Personally, shooting big horn out of an enclosure has no value to me. I also will refuse to place any value or accolades on anyone else doing it unless extenuating circumstances are present. Something like a wounded veteran hunt, for instance. There are other circumstances that would make the hunt worthy as well. Enclosures that are tens of thousands of acres in size... that too starts to approach the "wild" hunt status... especially if everyone that hunts the huge pen only hunts the middle and doesn't use the artificial border zones at all.

That's the beauty of it: I can make my own judgement and no one else gets to have a say. When someone is unworthy of my praise, they can claim the contrary all they like... it won't move me. I carry a very high standard, and I expect to be held to the same.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Well stated orkan!

Recent Posts