2009 3x4
2010 [just 3 does, no buck tag drawn]
2011 [just 1 doe no buck tag drawn]
2012 3x3
2013 3x4
2014 3x3
2015 3x3
2016 2x2

Why did I shoot such a small buck? I was confused. There was a whole herd moving around and I looked through one antler, saw the other, and counted 4. After we drug him 1/2 mile, we wished he was even smaller.

Attachments

• mule buck 2016 25-06.jpg
    mule buck 2016 25-06.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 223
I am 5'9", to show you how small that buck is.

Attachments

• clark washing 2016 mule buck.jpg
    clark washing 2016 mule buck.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 193
Clark, bet it tastes good. I killed one that size a few years ago, it was very tasty. Going to the Az Strip next week for a friend's trophy muley hunt. They have huge racks there. Here's a pic of a friend's from 2014 from the Strip. 204 2/8 B&C typical and a couple from last year. Third pic is 248 4/8 B&C non-typical. The hunters are from Chandler,Az.

Attachments

• IMG_0072.JPG
    IMG_0072.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_0146.JPG
    IMG_0146.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_0147.JPG
    IMG_0147.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 210
Unless I see something that exceeds what's on my wall, I'd rather get the little spikes and forked horns.

After you take them out of the frying pan, you can cut them with a fork.

Trophy value isn't always measured by antler size. Some great bucks get harvested by dumb luck. Others are bought and paid for by dumb guys with deep pockets when in reality the guide did all the work. The things important to me in a mule deer hunt are locating him in his territory, a good stalk or ambush, a good clean first round hit, and eating the meat.

I had an uncle that shot a lot of big bucks. In his later years, when I hunted with him, he would only shoot forkies. The meat always tasted better.

Don't feel too bad. I took my smallest deer ever this last week. I went on a coues deer hunt in unit 35B down on the Mexico boarder. This was my first coues deer hunt ever. I passed a lot of smaller bucks holding out for a big one. Now I'm kicking my self for not taking 2 of the bucks I passed. I ended up taking this like spike on the second to last day, because I didn't want to go home skunked. Lol. I did take him at almost 600 yards though. The corrected yardage came out to 585 yards, and there was a 10 mph cross wind. I took the shot from my shooting sticks too. One shot, and I hit him perfectly. He was dead before he hit the ground. So while it was my smallest deer ever, it was one of my best shots ever, considering how small these little guys are. Hanging at the butcher (just meat and bone), he only weighed 42 lbs. Lol.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.