Montana Mule Buck

Maybe I'm just not picky enough, but I'd have shot that buck first day, fourth day, or last day without question.

Great Great mulie!!

Congrats on the new stick AND the new buck!

Nice buck. Don't know why you had to throw out the part about tribal member hand outs. Quite possibly they were hunting there long before there was a drawing area there. You didn't mention the area but I will guess your talking about the bitteroot. The tribal members that hunt there do because that is where the tribe came from before they were moved by the government to the mission valley. Im sure they did'nt want to move. If i'm wrong about the area sorry. Either way it is a poor choice of words.

I don't really think it was a poor choice of words, it was a pretty mild version of the choice of words i would use to describe it! 7 150-170 inch deer in the back of a truck in a trophy area that is on the decline seems pretty irresponsible to me, and the season isn't even over! Subsistence hunting, I think not, more like taking advantage of a handout that should have been taken away a long time ago. Biologists and game wardens just shook their heads when the topic arose, game wardens just hope that they have a white man in the truck so they can confiscate the deer, and they said they get about 3 a year. The hurt that they have put on the moose was another topic of discussion. We may have had ancestors that enjoyed hunting the valley before it was a trophy unit as well, lewis and clark probably did some shooting there, should i cry for a gimmie tag? My family is from Colorado, generations grew up there, does colorado let me come back and hunt with special priveleges? NO! It's a bunch of BS! They aren't hunting there like they did before bolt action rifles and optics, that can sure change with the times, but Montana's best shot at a real trophy mule deer hunt shouldn't change anything huh? The yare more than happy to live with that new 4x4 that our tax dollars bought, drive it right up to a hunting area that our liscense money maintains, on roads that our tax dollars had built, and take whatever they want out of it, just like their ancestors did? i don't think so! Seems like things change for everybody with the times, time for our government to to quit giving handouts and let everybody succeed or fail on an even playing field, we are all US citizens after all aren't we? Apparently the feeling of entitlement is the problem, cause our government let it happen.

Last edited:
I agree that is way to excessive, but not all tribal members would do that most respect the wild life. There are idiots in every race. You moving from colorado isn't the same as being forced to move by the government. Im done arguing if you are truly racist nothing will change your mind.

Yes, it is way to excessive, thats why MOST have rules to follow and permits to draw, regulated by biologists with the goal of creating a prosperous unit, where does not having to apply to draw and doing what you think is ok fit into respecting that management plan???? you think throwing the racist card is gonna get you anywhere? I have friends that are indians that i rodeoed all over the country with, hell my girlfriend has indian blood! Nothing to do with racism, Pretty sure there are no living tribal members that were forced off of anything, that excuse is getting worn out, when is enough that the debt is paid for what happened over 100 years ago? Why am I the one paying for what someone else did and why are tribal members reaping the benefits for what someone else lost? having an opinion on this doesn't make me a racist, that move on your part makes me ask the question: If we could wave a magic wand and take away all that was done to the ANCESTORS of our present tribal members, but all government perks would go away as well, how many tribal members would make that trade? I'd be willing to bet none of the ones taking advantage of their hunting priviledges would........

Last edited:
Listen you make good points. I agree with some of them. At first it seemed you were lumPing all tribal members as out of control hunters. You explained yourself and it seems that in not the case. We could debate all night. I agree any one taking that many deer in one area is ignorant and would make any sportsman angry.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.