Montana Mule Buck

bearpaw

Spent the last 4 days hunting my mule deer tag. Left home on Tues. First day saw some average to below average bucks, and spent some time learning the area. Second day brought alot of walking and learning where I really didn't want to expend any effort in returning to hunt there. Day 3 to me back to the original area hunted on the first day, saw a couple 180" framed bucks, one had great backs and crab claw fronts, the other had the opposite, great fronts and terrible backs, two tags, a hacksaw and some super glue and I could have made one hell of a buck between the two! spotting scope photo of the buck with good backs.
a82er.jpg

That evening i was glassing a couple does and a below average 4 point feeding in a small saddle when out of the corner of my eye I saw the shape of a mule deer rack frame right next to a large mahogany bush above a ledge. I wrote it off as a bush, too large and I'm not lucky enough for it to be a deer. Gave it a minute and glanced at it a little harder, just to humor myself at the large bush i was looking at I threw thr glass up on it, I immediately started loosing control of my muscles! my body was shaking profusly when I saw this so called bush in my mind looking back at me. This is the photo through the spotter, doesn't do him justice.
10pw0li.jpg

After my initial reaction, I sarted picking the buck apart and talking myself out of shooting him, comparing ears to forks, beams, etc. I decided that he needed to stand up so I could see how everything proportioned. A few minutes later he did, stretched his back, and wiggled his tail, I decided he was worth missing whatever opportunity colder weather and the rut might bring and sent a 300gr Berger being directed by my 338 Edge high through his shoulder at 190 yards. Talk about an exit hole, about 7 inches in diameter, any further forward and the taxidermist would have had his work cut out for him. Went in the next moring with a friends help to retrieve him. Got pics taken and congratulations said and headed to a friends taxidermy shop to get an accurate official score. He goes 188 even. I started this hunt with over zealous hopes of 190 or better, two inches off of that mark at 188 is extremely satisfying, and I feel very fortunate for what I got. Thanks to Broz for helping me get the Edge tuned up with only a couple weeks to do it before season.
148zps1.jpg

35d97vk.jpg

Last edited:
Man, that's a nice buck, good choice on shooting him! Congratulations.

Nice buck! I like those thick beams, we get spindly horned mulies for the most part. I found out earlier the 300gr Bergers are a much longer range bullet than 300yrds when I cratered an antelope to see what they did, they do have some authority though. gun)

GREAT BUCK! I love it when a plan comes together. That rifle was built and tuned in record time. From " ok, an Edge it is" to " Buck down" Glad I could help a little. Now go whack an elk with that new stick.

Congrats!

Jeff gun)-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How long did it take you to draw that tag? Seems like some real potential in that area for more great deer like yours. Congrats on harvesting a stud like that and getting to do it with your new long range rig!!

potential is there, but its not the rule, most guys shoot 160-170, locals don't think many bigger will be taken this year, maybe a couple they said. clean 4X4 framed **** near 190 inch deer are pretty rare up here, most of the higher scores come from trash on the racks out of that unit. Unit is on the decline due to poaching and tribal members taking advantage of their government hunting handouts. 5000 apps for 45 tags, .92% chance of success and landowners odds cut that even more for the average guy trying to draw it, I never thought I would and I doubt highly that i ever will again. Colorado or Utah seem to have the real trophy units. 5-6 years ago it was really something, now its a pretty tough hunt. I know locals that have had multiple tags, hunt it every day all season and their best just breaks over 180. Of course money doesn't hurt your odds, governors tag buyer seems to kill a 200+ every year, but I think he gets alot of money and people floating around, I know Moss was up there at one point to lend a hand during one of his hunts, not to mention there is an abundance of private property that seems to hold alot of the game in the area, takes alot of money to get on that ranch. if you are applying out of state and are applying for a true trophy area, Montana shouldn't be your first choice by a long ways.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.