Best trophy hunt I ever had

DavidleeCole

I know it was not a big buck or long range shoot only 112 yards with my muzzle loader. However the hunt was the best for the past 3 years I have taken 2 deer within the first 30 minutes of the opening day of deer season. This year it was the first hunt I could go on after I got home from work. Every other time I went by my self but this time I took my two youngest girls with me and did not expect much more than just time shared with them. This year the antler restriction has been lifted due to CWD management as well as the doe tags. With no meat in the freezer it was an open hunt for me. We walked out to a large meadow and I told the girls to slow down and start being quite a few more steps later I spotted through the honey suckle two does in the edge of the meadow around 120 yards out and placed a shoot through the brush and got a doe. We walked over were she was to pick up her blood trail when I looked across the meadow and down the lane I saw another deer and ranged it at 276 yards to far for my CVA wolf. So I told the girls sit down be still and quite as we was stuck in the open and he had a long way to go and close the gap. For close to 20 minutes we watched him do his thing in and out of the meadow eating and checking wind girls were excited they never got to experience this before a deer in the wild just being a deer. He finally got in range at 112 yards and with a good shoot he was down. The moment with my girls and the experience that we shared was worth more than any trophy class buck or a long range kill. We blood trailed up trhe doe and went home with 2 deer in the first 30 minutes yet again. So yal don't forget to have these good times and those heart filled memories that will last long after the meat is gone and that old mount ever will.
20181027_092720.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, the memories made for/with your children are priceless and much longer lasting! -Awesome you are bring them out when they are young! For me, seeing them get excited, and especially seeing them get their first animal is better than getting one yourself! I have told my girls, that they don't have to hunt if they don't want to, but they HAVE TO at least take hunters safety......So far they all say their going hunting. There is very few things in this fast pace world we live in, that teach patience and appreciation like Hunting! Keep teaching them right while they are young! Congratulations!

That is perfect! My daughter is 24 now and an avid hunter. She will hunt the toughest terrain there is and never complain even if we see nothing. She knows that the chance is there and whatever it takes to get the chance is worth it. She loves living in the wall tent for a week and also enjoys backpacking in a camp. She got us matching sweatshirts for Christmas a couple of years ago. Says on the back "Father daughter hunting partners for life".

Good on you for hunting with your girls.

Steve

That is great. I remember my son's 1st deer at age 10 and him being with me when I arrowed a nice 8 point. He is 21 now and still talks of those time often.
Great to have nice family memories.

Way to Go! My daughter is 33 now. Navy vet. Loves to shoot.Runner up in the Ohio State Trap Shoot Girls 11-13 division (started early) Going to Ohio State and Powerlifts now. You will never regret the time spent! And you will miss them when they grow up!
But you can still be proud!
Here she is. White gloves...
29968.jpg

kellyn_thumb.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on your trophies. Thanks for the story and great pictures. By the looks of that smile you got the best hunting partners a guy could ever ask for.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.