Buck Fever

Wow…..let me repeat …… Wow! I haven't seen 368 Whitetail! That may be a little exaggerated…..but you get the idea! 😉 memtb
This has occurred over five decades. My best year with archery equipment is 16. Two seasons ago I took 16 with a rifle. Last year 7. So far this year 2. We had requests from lots of people wanting deer during the covid period. Not so many now. I usually keep three for myself, and get a couple for a lady who lets me hunt her land. My friend has a family farm of about 900 acres we do doe management on. Find people who want them, or give to church food pantry.

This has occurred over five decades. My best year with archery equipment is 16. Two seasons ago I took 16 with a rifle. Last year 7. So far this year 2. We had requests from lots of people wanting deer during the covid period. Not so many now. I usually keep three for myself, and get a couple for a lady who lets me hunt her land. My friend has a family farm of about 900 acres we do doe management on. Find people who want them, or give to church food pantry.

When I started hunting in Louisiana in the early '60's…..if you could verify the sighting of a Whitetail, you could probably get an article in the newspaper complete with your photo!

They were near non-existent …..at least in Central Louisiana. They were poached 34/7, 365! My grandfather, who was with me when I killed my first, lived deep in the woods, cut timber and trapped all of his early life to feed his family. Having some stock, hunting squirrels, rabbits, and the occasional hog helped put food on the table. He passed away in his 80's, never having killed a deer!

I killed very few prior to my coming to Wyoming. I moved to Lincoln County, Wyoming where Whitetails were and are pretty rare! We now live in an area which has a good Whitetail population …..but it's very cyclical due to CWD! memtb

When I started hunting in Alabama in my teens you didn't kill a doe for any reason. Then the fish and wildlife people allowed you to get a doe tag you had to request from Montgomery. A metal tag, one metal tag for the whole season. Compared to today, 90 plus day season including archery, black powder and rifle, pistol. Two deer per day, one buck one doe. Three buck limit, with antlers being four points or better on one side for two of them. If you're willing to put in some time in the field, filling the freezer isn't difficult. This is the reason many non residents come hunt Bama in the late season. Their season was closed a month ago.