Kydex cheek riser on carbon fiber stock

Put the Mathews Fabrication on a 2020 Waypoint carbon fiber stock. Drilled very carefully and It came out perfect and works great. Had my gun shop ordered me the one with the adjustable cheek riser like I requested, I would not have had to drill the stock.

Has anybody taken the plunge and drilled holes in there carbon fiber stock to get good alignment? I've got a ag composite alpine hunter that I'm just not super comfortable behind and feel I need to add something to get a more consistent cheek weld. I'm not super fond of the idea of drilling holes in a $750 stock but I also am not fond of not being completely happy with it. Any insight or pics would be great. Thanks!
I wonder about that too. Looked into getting parts to elevate the comb of the stock, but haven't done anything about it. The last stock I got had that item included with it.

+1 for the Bradley adjustable. I have a HS precision stock that I had the same issue with. I didn't wanna drill holes in it so I decided to give the Bradley a try. Great product, lightweight and gives you a few different settings. Plus the owner seems like a solid dude! He took time to chat and answered any questions I had. Made in America product to boot.

Ordered a triads with the internal ammo holder today. I think it'll work great and I really like the idea of having a few extra rounds with the rifle and the suppressor paperwork. We shall see how it goes. Now on to adding 1/4" length of pull! Haha

You're going to like it, they're quality USA gear that solves a few problems at once. I like them enough that I quit considering stocks with an adjustable comb. Saves money, weight and I just like the feel of the pack on my face vs whatever material the stock is made of.

It's impossible for the Triads to be lighter once you fill all the pockets and ammo holders than the other options I see being discussed. Look at Squeeeze's pictures of his Triad pockets filled with muzzle brake, etc.

Changing stocks is a completely different discussion, this thread is about modifying the OP's carbon fiber stock, not buying another stock.
So what is going to be the difference putting the ammo in the stock pouch or your pockets? I would venture to say 99% of anyone hunting isn't just carrying the ammo that fits in the magazine. And Squeeze also claimed to carry paperwork for a suppressor so it would be within reason to think the the muzzlebrake may not be in the pouch when hunting but is kept there when not in the woods to be with the gun

The easiest and most reversible is just to get a stock pack. Tac Ops (black one) and Triad Tactical (tan, my preference) are both nice. They come with stackable Velcro inserts that give you quite a bit of rise. I gained probably 1" of rise on my tan Triad Tactical stock pack. Can buy more Velcro inserts from them if needed. Do yourself a favor and try one of them first. Plus I like having a pocket for my ear plugs and suppressor paperwork.

That is what I use and it has worked great for me. I've moved to having one for every rifle (which are all traditional sporter stocks).

So what is going to be the difference putting the ammo in the stock pouch or your pockets? I would venture to say 99% of anyone hunting isn't just carrying the ammo that fits in the magazine. And Squeeze also claimed to carry paperwork for a suppressor so it would be within reason to think the the muzzlebrake may not be in the pouch when hunting but is kept there when not in the woods to be with the gun

I usually keep an allen wrench for my rings, some sort of dope card and my extra ammo in the pouch.

I don't like to keep ammo in my pockets as I've forgotten to move it when I changed pants in the past - i.e., I like to have as much of my rifle's needs packaged with the rifle as possible.

Last edited:
I usually keep an allen wrench for my rings, some sort of dope card and my extra ammo in the pouch.

I don't like to keep ammo in my pockets as I've forgotten to move it when I changed pants in the past - i.e., I like to have as much of my rifle's needs packaged with the rifle as possible.
I agree my pouch is packed with ammo and dope card. I was referring to the comments about people saying it was adding weight to the rifle to carry the ammo in the pouch. And the weight will be in the pouch or pack or pockets anyway it gets sliced the weight is still there

It would also be within reason that everything in his picture is the way he goes hunting, so your comment means nothing.

It would also be within reason that everything in his picture is the way he goes hunting, so your comment means nothing.
So when you go to hunt do you just carry what ammo fits in the magazine? Or do you carry extra ammo? If you carry extra ammo does it weigh different if it is carried in an ammo pouch versus your pocket or backpack? When you carry extra ammo it still weighs the same regardless of where it is carried.

I agree my pouch is packed with ammo and dope card. I was referring to the comments about people saying it was adding weight to the rifle to carry the ammo in the pouch. And the weight will be in the pouch or pack or pockets anyway it gets sliced the weight is still there
That's comparing apples and oranges. It's not the overall weight being carried by the hunter being discussed; it's the weight of the rifle itself being discussed. The effect of carrying a heavier rifle in the ready position while stalking or holding it to your shoulder for a length of time until the animal gives you a clear shot is directly challenged by rifle weight. Why do you think mountain hunters want lighter rifle combinations? Now you want to add more weight to a rifle they just spent tons of money to shed weight from? Makes absolutely no sense to me.

That's comparing apples and oranges. It's not the overall weight being carried by the hunter being discussed; it's the weight of the rifle itself being discussed. The effect of carrying a heavier rifle in the ready position while stalking or holding it to your shoulder for a length of time until the animal gives you a clear shot is directly challenged by rifle weight. Why do you think mountain hunters want lighter rifle combinations? Now you want to add more weight to a rifle they just spent tons of money to shed weight from? Makes absolutely no sense to me.
What was being discussed was what cheek riser on a carbon fiber stock. Ammo added to the butt stock will help counter balance the barrel weight. Mountain hunters want to cut weight because of hiking up and down mountains chasing their target, ammo in a pack is not easy access when needed but on the stock is simple to get to when needed.

Recent Posts