Kydex cheek riser on carbon fiber stock

I used the risers that came with my Savage, but instead of drilling holes, used vet tape (camo color) to hold it firm, then used a pad with ammo holders in the side to finish it.

They're a great option if you have a stock that you don't want to drill. They're an even better option if you have a stock that you want to use right away vs ordering an adjustable stock and waiting 9 months and paying$1000 and the adjustable stock will be heavier than a stock pack 90% of the time.
It's impossible for the Triads to be lighter once you fill all the pockets and ammo holders than the other options I see being discussed. Look at Squeeeze's pictures of his Triad pockets filled with muzzle brake, etc.

Changing stocks is a completely different discussion, this thread is about modifying the OP's carbon fiber stock, not buying another stock.

Has anybody taken the plunge and drilled holes in there carbon fiber stock to get good alignment? I've got a ag composite alpine hunter that I'm just not super comfortable behind and feel I need to add something to get a more consistent cheek weld. I'm not super fond of the idea of drilling holes in a $750 stock but I also am not fond of not being completely happy with it. Any insight or pics would be great. Thanks!
Yes, I've done it a couple of times, not hard to do, but... why these days, personally... for most stock needs check out the Bradley cheekpiece. Not as quickly adjustable as some... but, once it's set they're good to go, and rock solid, without having to drill or glue, and if you screw that part up, we won't go there in this post. Here's one on my M1A... love it, it's very lightweight. Good luck. Cheers.

Resized_20190831_085259 (1).jpeg
Resized_20190831_085312.jpeg

It's impossible for the Triads to be lighter once you fill all the pockets and ammo holders than the other options I see being discussed. Look at pictures of his Triad pockets filled with muzzle brake, etc.

Changing stocks is a completely different discussion, this is about modifying the OP's carbon fiber stock, not buying another stock.
You don't have to fill the pockets with crap if you don't want to. The only thing that goes in mine is a laminated copy of my form 4 in case John Q Law starts asking questions about the muffler.

Just because it has a pocket doesn't mean that you're obligated to fill it with heavy items. Do you fill your pants pockets with muzzle brakes and ammo just because the pockets are there?

I take the bendable splints cut 4 or 5 pieces and wrap it with medical tape. Cost you $15 bucks.
I like this option, but I would use the camouflaged firearms tape you use to camouflage a barrel. This tape has no adhesive to remove after you remove the tape, it sticks to itself and isn't white LOL. This option is infinitely adjustable because you can tailor it to exactly what you need and not pay for something designed to be universal for every stock being manufactured. It could also be much lighter depending on what materials you use for filler. It's fun and gratifying to make your own stuff also.

Attachments

• 20220718_105601.jpg
    20220718_105601.jpg
    914.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
You don't have to fill the pockets with crap if you don't want to. The only thing that goes in mine is a laminated copy of my form 4 in case John Q Law starts asking questions about the muffler.

Just because it has a pocket doesn't mean that you're obligated to fill it with heavy items. Do you fill your pants pockets with muzzle brakes and ammo just because the pockets are there?
Actually, I do fill my cargo pants pockets with stuff I don't use because you never know what you might run into. Every pocket has something in it. The old saying is that if you add more storage, you'll just add/collect more junk you don't need. Creeps up on you.

I have the exact same stock. I found the Bradley works very well - and it can be taken off and used on other stocks as well. It costs a bit more, but a great peice of kit.