Kinda torn!!! Build advice

Since Lapua is making brass for both now it really is a toss up. I was building a 300 win mag but I found 300 PRC Lapua brass in stock so I'm building a 300 prc instead. Make sure you pay attention to magazine Length because even factory Rounds for the 300 PRC will not fit in non cip long action magazines. You also will want a Wyatt's extended mag box if you plan to play with seating depth. The Clicker problem is something to consider but they have been a known problem for belted magnum cases for ever that's why Larry wills came out with his collet sizing die for belted cases. If you run Hornady brass in the PRC it doesn't make any difference but if you are going to use Lapua or ADG 300 prc brass order a "300 prc AW2" reamer from JGS before you start the build.

Well I built two 300 PRC a few years apart. I didn't keep either one longer than a year. Built a 300 WM and it will never leave the long range stable. Grew up shooting the 300 WM when it was my one and only rifle from prairie dogs to elk. I have many awesome Rifles now but I can't keep my hands off the 300 winmags🤷🏻‍♂️

Almost equal ballistics, the PRC is built for long heavy high BC bullets. I personally use my 300wm for hunting and my 300PRC for long range shooting. Look into components and see what is available for both. Can't go wrong with either. The 300PRC is my most accurate rifle and my 300wm is my favorite hunting rifle. Love both of them but for different reasons

Welcome to the forum @rcharwell !

I am in process of building some 300 PRC also. I have a 300 WM that is getting re-barreled as well as several other MRC, Win 70 and a Defiance. The PRC is a modern superior designed cartridge. It is a little larger case, better taper and shoulder, better length for heavy bullets and NO BELT. Which is something I prefer. I know the belt doesn't hurt anything really but it bothers me that it's there. Not having the belt allows more powder in the same space in the magazine. It also does not have a rebated rim like the RUM, Nosler, etc. which I prefer. I think it lands in a sweet spot for the 30 cal hunting rifle.

There are a lot of advantages to the 300 WM too, all of those are external to the chamber in availability, popularity etc. as have been mentioned. Those things all matter too. You have to weigh what is most important for you. Handload both to their potential and the 300 PRC will be maybe 50 fps faster if both rifles are set to optimize the bigger bullets, not a lot of difference.

Where you are building the rifle, you can pick what reamer/chamber design you are using. I am going to run Alex Wheeler's print (post #131 in the linked thread above which you should read if doing a 300 PRC) for a reamer to chamber the rifles here to 300 PRC. I load all of my ammo and am ok with the extra effort/time it is taking to source all the components. A couple of the rifles I'm building will likely see mostly factory ammo so that is an important component for those rather than a complete wildcat.

Last edited:
How would y'all rate the 300wsm in range of choices. Looking at a rifle that is already built with premium components in that caliber in the same price range as i would spend building the 300 win im considering with not as nice of an action and stock.

Lookjng at building me a 30 cal hunting rifle. Looking to build a lightweight rifle used for deer and elk hunting. Should I go with the tried and true 300 win mag or the 300 prc?
I'd get a 300 wm if you dont reload. 300 prc if you do. Theres tons of factory 300 wm ammo, 300 prc not so much. And in a pinch you can always find 300 wm ammo usually at any given gun store store anywhere.

Almost equal ballistics, the PRC is built for long heavy high BC bullets. I personally use my 300wm for hunting and my 300PRC for long range shooting. Look into components and see what is available for both. Can't go wrong with either. The 300PRC is my most accurate rifle and my 300wm is my favorite hunting rifle. Love both of them but for different reasons
If someone is building a gun from scratch any perceived advantages of the PRC or Nosler over the 300 Win Mag are moot. You can have your reamer built to any throat dimension you want. Use CIP length magazines, a fast twist barrel Peterson "long" brass and headspace on the shoulder instead of the belt.

This is exactly what I have planned after I get my 264WM finished.

I'd get a 300 wm if you dont reload. 300 prc if you do. Theres tons of factory 300 wm ammo, 300 prc not so much. And in a pinch you can always find 300 wm ammo usually at any given gun store store anywhere.
After having this exact debate earlier this year, between the 300WM v 300PRC I went with the 300 PRC for the exact reason you state, except opposite. I grew up reloading and have a desire to never do it again. After talking to many shooters, builders, 'smiths, I went with the PRC just because there are 2 ammo choices available, and they are both good choices for target and hunting. My gun personally like the ELDM a bit better. In the WM I didn't want to have to potentially shoot through the huge amount of choices, both good and ******, that are on the market to find the round my gun liked the best. Ammo ain't cheap, but I have about 300 rounds total stockpiled of the ELDX and ELDM just by keeping an eye out. Mostly that means auction averaging probably $3.50 per round -ish. All bought in the shortage time, not in the good 'ol days. I keep my brass in case i ever decide to reload or pay someone for load development. Not cheap, but for me better than buying a bunch of different WM ammo to find what my gun thinks doesn't suck.