Build advice and critique

Kgkimerer

Looking at a Savage M111 action for a 6.5x55 Swede build. 28" Pac-Nor #3 contour, fluted, Bell and Carlson Stock, Leupold VX3i 4.5-14, Timney Trigger. Possibly might do a Boyd's Laminate stock. Will this weigh under 9lbs? Should I have the action trued? Any advice at all appreciated! Thanks, Kelly

Looking at a Savage M111 action for a 6.5x55 Swede build. 28" Pac-Nor #3 contour, fluted, Bell and Carlson Stock, Leupold VX3i 4.5-14, Timney Trigger. Possibly might do a Boyd's Laminate stock. Will this weigh under 9lbs? Should I have the action trued? Any advice at all appreciated! Thanks, Kelly

What do you intend to do with the set-up? The contour at the length will not be my personal choice.

600+ deer and the occasional coyote. Possibly an elk hunt. 99.99% deer. what contour would you like? It's going to be flutedgun)gun)

Feenix you rock. Thanks. I would really like to keep the 28" barrel to squeeze everything possible out of the Swede.

I have had #4's fluted that shot well. It might be a good compromise. I agree that a 28" #3 is a little to pencil like and might whip a little too much. I don't think you will be under 9 lbs., but you might be near 9......Rich

Thanks Elk. I am getting older and outtashape, but even a 10 lb rifle shouldn't bother me. no. 4

If it were mine I think I might consider upgrading the stock to a bell&carolson or equivalent... you can find good stocks on ebay for some cheaper than new from time to time if money is a problem... The only reason I say it is I helped my brother put together a 260 on a 700 action the other week and he used a boyds and I wasn't exactly impressed with it. They are ok but if your spending your hard earned $$$ on a nice build I'm not so sure I would spend it on a boyds but that's just me...

I had the opposite win my boyds. I used one on my .257 Roy. Works very very well. Last year I dropped two deer in the same herd at 500 yards very good fit. Rifle is super accurate. I'm never scared. But others should be lighter for sure.

B&C is just down the road. And again thanks everyone. Am I crazy for wanting the 28" tube for the Swede? It could squeeze all the potential out of that round.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.