Kinda torn!!! Build advice

Lookjng at building me a 30 cal hunting rifle. Looking to build a lightweight rifle used for deer and elk hunting. Should I go with the tried and true 300 win mag or the 300 prc?
well in these times everything reloading is sparse, so 300 wm is going to be the most plentiful brass. And it is not over flowing the boxes on the selves. Looking at the ballistics between the two out pass 1400, then 300 PRC and start collecting brass now.

Many good suggestions. May I add one.
300 Sherman….180gr Berger EH VLD at 3050fps

Yes it is basically a 30/06, 300 WSM, 300 Win Mag. IME, it fits 30-06 mags and actions, low cost and available 270Win/280AI brass, runs on somewhat available R26/N570/H1000, uses more available 30 cal bullets,

All that said is it's only real advantages are Peterson brass, chamber and reamer are a matched system; hits 300 WM velocity with 1 more round in the mag.

300 PRC is another good choice, but seems like it would have much more recoil.

Please ignore if only 300 PRC vs 300 WM are being considered or if you don't have lots of reloading experience.

at this day and age, the WM has been around a long time and at one time you could buy shells any where in any town , that will never happen with the prc

I enjoy a 300 win mag but this past year myself and a couple buddies got the 300 prc's for LRH. They are super accurate BUT....... We have been shooting the Hornady 212 grain factory ammo. Great for targets........ BAD for game.... Elk and whitetails, bullets unload their energy on impact and DO NOT drive through the animal. I guess what I am trying to say is I think the PRC is a great rifle but I'll be reloading ammo this spring for it. And the 300win mag is a great caliber too, you can't goof up this choice .

I enjoy a 300 win mag but this past year myself and a couple buddies got the 300 prc's for LRH. They are super accurate BUT....... We have been shooting the Hornady 212 grain factory ammo. Great for targets........ BAD for game.... Elk and whitetails, bullets unload their energy on impact and DO NOT drive through the animal. I guess what I am trying to say is I think the PRC is a great rifle but I'll be reloading ammo this spring for it. And the 300win mag is a great caliber too, you can't goof up this choice .
Same here! I no longer trust Hornady bullets since they dropped the AMax

just my my .02, I would decide on what bullet and velocity you wanted to shoot first. Then decide what what chambering you want.

Lookjng at building me a 30 cal hunting rifle. Looking to build a lightweight rifle used for deer and elk hunting. Should I go with the tried and true 300 win mag or the 300 prc?
In this day and age. Stick with paydirt. Don't gamble on any "New" cartridges or Wildcats. The 300 win mag is a guarantee. I say that and I have a 300WSM.

What do you plan to hunt with it? As jaspepp posted above, picking your bullet first - especially if you don't reload - will determine the best way to go. In my limited knowledge and opinion (there are many here that far surpass my experience) the choice is easy…300WM. Lots of bullet choices and much more availability than the PRC In factory ammo, as well as brass for reloading. The 300WM continues to be one of the most popular 30's ever made. Both the WM and the PRC will do the job though. If you've got an inkling toward the PRC…get it.

at this day and age, the WM has been around a long time and at one time you could buy shells any where in any town , that will never happen with the prc
Used to be that way. Around here, nothing has been available besides .260rem and 6cm for a year or more. Must be better other places. I just look for what is available for brass. As of now, you can pick either and just stock up.

The 300 PRC is a much better design than the 300 WM.

Just because you can make a 300 WM shoot, or find more ammo on the shelf, or because it has been around longer, doesn't make it a better design, just useable.

Go with the 300 PRC and don't look back!
Hornady factory ammo will shoot well, and reloading will go easier and and be every bit as accurate as the WM.

That being said, personally I would go for the 300 Norma if I were doing a 30 cal. Magnum. But it would not shoot any better than the PRC, and would cost more. However, my 338 LM bolt face is the same, so it makes sense for me.

They are pretty close. The case efficiency of the PRC is a little bit better and it can handle longer bigger bullets a little bit better than the WM; which can get you about 100 fps +/- (according to manufacturer load data) more than the WM - but truly you could almost flip a coin between the two and do just fine.
The only advice I could add is that 300 WM ammo is a lot easier to find just about anywhere and is loaded by all major manufacturers as opposed to the PRC. I personally would and have gone with the 300 WM precisely for those reasons.

The 300 win Mag is a No brainer VS the 300 PRC for so many available reason already stated.
300 PRC is a flash in the pan in the 30 Cal world.

If you really want to step it up 300 Norma now you have a Difference you can do something with!!!!