Kill the wolf?

I hear all sides of this. If you listen to the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, the wolves are the epitome of a threat to the whole ecosystem. Western sheep and cattle ranchers will pretty much back that up. We must maintain a balance in the population, or we stand a chance to have another animal go extinct. That cannot happen. I seriously doubt the wolves in the west, will get to the problems caused by feral hogs and coyotes in Texas.
Where did you read the RMEF position on wolves?

The Guardian is a euro left wing platform. They get no credit.
Come on out west from Miami and you might see what we are taking about with the wolves.
Throwing our names like "euro left wing" shows bias. The article was a summary of an actual scientific study and other sources (than The Guardian) cite that study, I just chose the Guardian's concise and graphically compelling version. I believe in science and I won't apologize for that. Anyway, you don't have to accept my post, research it on your own (objectively).

Throwing our names like "euro left wing" shows bias. The article was a summary of an actual scientific study and other sources (than The Guardian) cite that study, I just chose the Guardian's concise and graphically compelling version. I believe in science and I won't apologize for that. Anyway, you don't have to accept my post, research it on your own (objectively).

I don't blame you for your opinion Brother. You have a right to it.
But I have seen with my own eyes the damage these wolves do and once prime hunting areas.
They kill more than they eat, they are multiplying like jack rabbits and spreading across the state unfettered.

Interesting You Tube link attached where the DNR brought in 20-30 wolves to Isle Royale in Michigan to help control the Moose population.

Apologies if someone already pointed this out, but I have neither the time nor the patience to read the 26 pages this has gone already.

This Isle Royale thing is completely absurd. They are spending a pile of tax payer money trapping wolves, relocating wolves, flying around in helicopters... They could generate income buy selling tags and letting people go hunt them down to target numbers and it could be done in a season or two. Why make $s when you can spend a million.... in 10 years they'll be complaining about the decimated Isle Royale moose population.

Some problems can be resolved with the math on the ground, and require no auditory stimuli at all. The impacts here can be readily seen, and no, SSS hasn't accomplished a thing.

I acknowledged that it probably wouldn't out west. Probably not in large unbroken sections of timber either. But, when they started to move into broken timber and farm land, it has worked.

I have been pondering this statement the last couple days...maybe everybody could be happy if we took all the wolves in Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming and dropped them off in texas and other Southern states that are being overtaken with wild pigs and coyotes. Can't help but think 1000's of wolves could put a hurtin on some pig populations. This way we save the elk and mule deer and wolf all while taking care of the feral pig problem...
I like wise was thinking, maybe put some wolves where the wild horses have overpopulated. But "Oh my gosh we couldn't have them eating the wild horses!!!"

I would welcome UNBIASED studies, but when 95% of scientific study is funded by animal rights and climate change doomsday groups, I fail to see the results as possibly being unbiased. There has been many studies about climate change by objective scientists that shows it's a natural phenomenon that has cycled many times throughout history , but those studies get flushed down the toilet by the left wing media because it doesnt fit their need to scorn and control the people of America. Same /same with amimal control groups and so called studies of animal populations. I'd love to hear unbiased reports on all the ailments that are apparently happening these days. I just dont see it happening when the reports all seem to lean one way and reports that are contrary to that lean dont ever make it to the news cycle.

I really can't understand what the love affair with wolves is about in the first place. People think it it be cool to see one or hear one howl without thinking of the long term consequences. They were gotten rid of years ago for good reason. If these predators were living in their backyards and eating their pets and critters it wouldn't be so great.
Just my 2 cents worth.

LOL Democrat much?
As if profit is a bad thing! Maybe send ole GunHawk to North Korea on a permanent vacation. Yep, profit is illegal there. Private land, public land, doesn't matter. It's here for the use of the people! If you can afford to buy a permit to drill for oil on public land. More power to ya! If you can afford to buy private land, more power to ya. In Communist country's like North Korea only Kim can afford ANYTHING!

Anybody who is on Facebook will tell you a favourite post is of cute, cuddly, creatures, both wild and domestic, doing heartwarming things. I even watch and enjoy some of them. What you seldom see is real wild animals doing real wild animal things like a pack of wolves taking down an animal and tearing it open and eating it while it is still alive. I usually can't finish watching those things either, but most people never get the opportunity. In first world countries we are given the choice to live in a sanitized bubble where much of the ugliness of life is kept at bay, and most of us want that. Empathetic people don't want that extra anxiety, and the great majority of our populations now live in an urban environment where it's a rare occurrence anyway. Unfortunately, after a few generations we lose touch with the real natural world and begin to believe in an unreal, cleaned up version. I don't blame people for having those beliefs. What I do blame them for is plugging their ears and closing their eyes when somewhen who does live in a wild environment tries to show the realities they live with every day.
I believe in wildlife management based on science which, by the way, doesn't mean management for the benefit of hunters. It means management based on balanced, sustainable populations and minimizing negative human/wildlife interactions. Establishing and setting hunting seasons is just one tool in the wildlife biologists bag of tricks. As many of you have already stated, abandoning the management of a species, like wolves in your area or grizzly bears in mine, is often a political decision based on gaining votes from people who live in the bubble - and are skilled at loudly protesting their shallow beliefs. Still, calling them names and talking tough does nothing but add to the widespread view that hunters are crude and brutal individuals. Anti-hunters are not about to change. The focus needs to be on educating the non-hunters.

I live here in Alaska, born here. Wolves are a vital part of our ecosystem. Just need to manage them properly. If them get overpopulated, they will impact the species they prey on to, till there is a problem. We've experienced that before.
We've had the Caribou herd in our region get over populated because of extremely favorable circumstances and the wolves also got overpopulated. Then because of the Caribou running out of food, and disease. The Herd crashed to historic lows.
Consequently, there were so many wolves around that they were starving because their main food source had dwindled.
A guy that was trapping said he got a several wolves not long after the season opened. He said they were skinny. Even eating another wolf that was in a trap.
Wolves were coming into town and taking dogs. Even our Moose population was impacted. Not long ago a friend told me he found a wolf kill that had got a medium to large Moose and that there was nothing left but bones, there were so many wolves.
The State of Alaska has even gone so far as to shoot Wolves and Bears around calving Caribou and Moose, till the calves are strong enough to run.
We call it predator control. It works.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.