Kids hearing protection

I have 4 kids who are shooters. Plugs dont get worn correctly, for any number of reasons. Muffs are clumsy, even the smaller ones. Plus they are sweaty. And kids don't like to be yelled at.

So the only solution at my house is suppressors.
Does your suppressor actually reduce sound below 85db?

Hearing loss is cumulative and irreversible. Starting kids at such a young age dictates using the best noise reduction you can find. I like the idea of plugs and muffs if the kids can tolerate it without being turned off to shooting. Shooting a rimfire rifle is a great idea.

Temu sells electronic muffs from $16 with 23 db noise reduction rating. Delivery usually within 10 days. Free shipping.
Most firearms put off 150-170 decibels. That would still be 127 decibels which is still well over the recommended level of needing hearing protection.

I am sure that reading is not taken from behind the muzzle where the shooter will be, but I would still be concerned.

You can also cause hearing damage from the outer areas around your ear being exposed to concusive forces. Ear muffs are always the best option and especially doubling up. Depends on what you're shooting. A 22 with plugs is probably fine but when they graduate to bigger stuff a good pair of muffs is a wise investment

I have 4 kids who are shooters. Plugs dont get worn correctly, for any number of reasons. Muffs are clumsy, even the smaller ones. Plus they are sweaty. And kids don't like to be yelled at.

So the only solution at my house is suppressors.
I am a 100% suppressor fan but You should still make them wear ear plugs. Im 80% deaf on high frequency because of growing up on a farm and GUNS that I love.

A chart of levels of sound levelDescription automatically generated
This is why you should always protect your hearing.

Well as a Deaf perosn from birth I can honestly say I have no personal opinion on this, except that I just use the electronic thinner muffs for kids instruction seem to fit pretty well and you can add music when they are tired of shooting and you want to keep going.

My daughter was 3 months the first time she came to the range and 6 months the first time she came pheasant hunting. I don't remember where we bought the first pair but we started with infant sized muffs and have bought her bigger sizes as she's grown. I was surprised but most of the pairs we have gotten her were from local baby shops and were sold for people taking their kids to concerts.

You may vheck your local baby shop to see if they have plugs as well

I dont put my kids at risk for hearing damage. We wear ear pro, too, but it is often not enough, especially with rifle fire and also some shorter barrels. In-ear plugs are proven and measured to not provide the real world reduction that they get in the lab. And they dont mitigate bone-transferred sound like muffs do.

I dont prefer to get my info from anything government, but OSHA has some facts that are easy to understand regarding continuous noise vs impulse noise.

I dont put my kids at risk for hearing damage. We wear ear pro, too, but it is often not enough, especially with rifle fire and also some shorter barrels. In-ear plugs are proven and measured to not provide the real world reduction that they get in the lab. And they dont mitigate bone-transferred sound like muffs do.

I dont prefer to get my info from anything government, but OSHA has some facts that are easy to understand regarding continuous noise vs impulse noise.
Read silencer history and performance by Alan Paulson. It will give you a whole new outlook on how you and your kids hearing is getting damaged not just by shooting but by everyday activities. Pretty wild but a good read and solid information.

Ear muffs. The type that have the thinner bottoms like the Walkers. Ear pro is just so easy to use that I wear it all the time. I even double up for guns with brakes now. Well worth it.