Best hearing protection

Okiecat

What's the best brand & model of hearing muffs or in ear protection for hunting with a brake? Let's not put a price limit, just what really works and holds up. Also quality of sound enhancement. And very important "comfort"!!

muff's are a PITA when shooting a rifle. I use the silly putty "custom" moulded ear plugs and they are more than adequate. You can get them from Brownell's or Midway.

For the "best" you want the electronic plugs which are custom fit that are basically the same moulded silly putty ear plugs with the electronic insert. Again, available from the same sources.

I use game ears. They are super comfortable and they come with a speaker so you can hear things going on around you or your spotter talking. And it blocks out the noise of a gunshot. I love mine and have used them for 3 hunting seasons now on one set of batteries. They're awesome!

I don't have any personal experience with the molded plugs or the game ear. I just use my Peltor 6S muffs while hunting. These get hung on the carry handle of my pack so they are easily accessible. IF I have the time to put them on I will. If not, well I guess my ears take another hit. Quite honestly, I'd strongly consider the advice given above. It'd be better to have the plugs in all the time and save your hearing, which never grows back by the way, than continue to damage your hearing. The Peltors get turned on very easily accidentally and I've gone through two sets of batteries in a season because of this. I've been looking pretty strongly at the game ear recently and is the way I would suggest somebody go for hunting hearing protection. At the range is a bit different.

Geb

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.