Electronic Hearing protection

tribb

This may have already been covered here but I'm seeking advice on electronic hearing protection to buy my grandson he shoots cowboy action does a lot of bird shooting etc and so forth as well as off the bench need something that you can have a conversation yet will cancel out the loud noises of shooting inside ear would be nice! Please advise as to years experience and how long you've used them thank you very much

This may have already been covered here but I'm seeking advice on electronic hearing protection to buy my grandson he shoots cowboy action does a lot of bird shooting etc and so forth as well as off the bench need something that you can have a conversation yet will cancel out the loud noises of shooting inside ear would be nice! Please advise as to years experience and how long you've used them thank you very much
Foam plugs and electronic ear muffs. I'd highly suggest both at the same time. A bunch of sales right now on electronic. Johnny Walker had a set around 50 bucks. Pro Ears are the best for carrying on a conversation while shooting. But any will work, just wear the plugs and turn up the volume on the electronic muffs.

You only get two eyes and two ears, no extras, no rebuilds. Cheap might be an obvious ideal but the reality is that you should get him what ever it takes to protect him.

For more than 20 years I shot competitive trap and skeet involving 10's of thousands of rounds of 12 ga. Muffs sucked because they would get pushed up and sometimes off while eliminating any possibility of understanding speech.

Foamies are cheap and easy but basically useless considering the amount of shooting.

I realized fairly fast that I needed something much better. I got fitted for molded electronic plugs. Yes they can be expensive but again, how valuable is your hearing? Your grandson will thank you for the rest of his life.

:)

Last edited:
There is nothing quite like a set of Sordins. But they are a bit spendy. I've been wearing a pair for about 2 years but I wish it had been for 20yrs.

They are available through Amazon but will likely ship from outside the USA.

Sordin Supreme Pro-X Slim SFA Hearing Protection - Active Ear Defenders - Attenuation Ring for Increased SNR (31 dB)

Last edited:
I competed pistol, rifle shotgun for over a decade and shot for four decades. If you grandson is still growing fitted ear plugs might be good for awhile but if he grows out of them then they'll be less effective. Some foam plugs have a rating of 33dB which is some of the highest I've seen and work among various sized people. Research it yourself, the highest degree of protection can come from plugs and muffs together.

You only get two eyes and two ears, no extras, no rebuilds. Cheap might be an obvious ideal but the reality is that you should get him what ever it takes to protect him.

For more than 20 years I shot competitive trap and skeet involving 10's of thousands of rounds of 12 ga. Muffs sucked because they would get pushed up and sometimes off while eliminating any possibility of understanding speech.

Foamies are cheap and easy but basically useless considering the amount of shooting.

I realized fairly fast that I needed something much better. I got fitted for molded electronic plugs. Yes they can be expensive but again, how valuable is your hearing? Your grandson will thank you for the rest of his life.

:)
Amen to that! Thanks for the reminder. Tribb