In ear hearing protection

odoylerules

I'm looking for experienced opinions on some good in ear electronic hearing pro.
I've seen prices from $170 to $2500.
What would you recommend on the less expensive side of that scale? Thanks

Hands down sound gear. I have a $2500 pair I've used that my father bought and they are only marginally better than my sound gear. Only thing I wish I did was get the hunting version of sound gear as the industrial keeps the sound lower and because of my already degraded hearing it would be nice to have a bit louder. Everyone I have let try them owns a pair after them. I use them on all day hunts and they never bother me.

Anyone else have any experience with either the Etymotic Gunsport-Pro
Or the Sound gear hunters?

Well I can make another comment. ;) The reason I went with the Gunsport-Pros is they have a switch that turns amplification on or off. The Sound Gear Hunters ALWAYS have amplification on. That can be a hassle sometimes. It is better to have amplification off at the range or riding in the truck, etc. I like the option to turn it off. The Gunsports have several types of ear plugs. This way you can use the ones that fit your ears best. the package comes with an assortment of them. I like the dense foam ones. Etymotic says the dense foam offers the absolute best protection and I believe them. As far as I know, Sound gear just offers the orange rubber ones.

Huh!, I can only hear out of my right ear, and it has sever loss also. I worked in a very loud steel mill for 43 years, the first 10 or 15 years we didn't wear hearing protection or hard hats the only requirement was steel toed shoes. Now I wear a hearing aid in my right ear, every thing that I hear, I think its to the right regardless of the actual direction. All I can say is protect your hearing while you can, when its gone it isn't fun. Spring gobbler hunting I keep moving around the tree that I'm up against trying to figure out what direction the gobbler is coming in on. It is better hunting in a ground blind, the birds don't see you move. As far as shooting now, my hearing aid only lets a certain amount of noise into my ear to protect it from further damage. Good luck hunting and be safe.

I have a pair of 25 cent radian plugs with about 32 decibel sound attenuation. Not sure why I need to spend 10 thousand times more.

Last edited:
Anyone else have the sound gear hunting version? I'm looking to get a set and am worried the hunting version may be too loud.

Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuff for Smaller Caliber Handguns. This type of earmuff often comes in a two-pack. They have a noise reduction rating of 22dB which is best for light caliber or rounds

Just got my Sound Gear before hunting season. I have only used them on a couple of outings. The one thing I found is that they make a "Hissing" sound. It is not overly loud, but loud enough for me to be annoying. These are the Industrial version. Has anyone else noticed this "Hissing" noise with their Sound Gear?

I've been using the SoundGear for around 4 years now. They are not good enough at the range or under a shooting shelter, but are great for hunting. Every year I wear them all day every day when prairie dog shooting. They make if much more enjoyable. Out elk hunting they really help hearing thing.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.