In ear hearing protection

I have the new Beretta electronic earplugs. They are great. They are rechargeable, with USB cord, not batteries to buy. They are great in the duckblind, they don't shut off when I'm calling. They are directional, so I can tell which direction the birds are calling from. About $600-$700

I shoot indoors, out doors at my club and for annual department quals. The best ear protection I own is the cheapest, a basic pair of ear muffs. But the muffs are impractical for rifle shooting, IMO, under any conditions. I've tried most types of plugs, best results when indoors or under shelter--under the muffs. I also own a pair of Howard Light electronics--OK, but still muffs. My latest effort is Walkers Elec. ear buds. They were perfect shooting the .45 at an outdoor range, a non-starter in-doors and terrible at the range under the shelter at the benches. My next step, if I continue to seek the Holy Grail of buds, is a British company which seems to be huge with both sporting and competition shooters in England, perhaps throughout Europe. They have many iterations, but one in particular has a stellar battery life also. I'll provide their link for your perusal. "http://www.censdigital.com/"

Some hype on their premier buds:

cens_proflex2_plus.jpg

CENS® ProFlex+ has a slightly deeper top tray that allows for the size 13 battery, which almost doubles the battery life compared to the standard ProFlex 312 module. This therefore effectively halves the running cost and along with the larger battery size being easier to handle makes the ProFlex+ module unbeatable!
The ProFlex+ higher profile design provides the user controls with better protection, making the module more durable during every day use.

A power upgrade kit is available for existing CENS® ProFlex users, that allows you to upgrade from the standard 312 battery to the 13 battery.

ProFlex+ Features:
  • All of the ProFlex digital 2 features plus the following upgrades:
  • 13 battery type instead of 312.
  • Approx 400 hours battery life instead of 220 hours.
  • 2 Year Warranty

I can attest to the battery life between 13s and 12s. My old hearing aids took 13s and lasted 2 weeks. The new and improved model (smaller) takes 12s and just about makes a week.

I shoot indoors, out doors at my club and for annual department quals. The best ear protection I own is the cheapest, a basic pair of ear muffs. But the muffs are impractical for rifle shooting, IMO, under any conditions. I've tried most types of plugs, best results when indoors or under shelter--under the muffs. I also own a pair of Howard Light electronics--OK, but still muffs. My latest effort is Walkers Elec. ear buds. They were perfect shooting the .45 at an outdoor range, a non-starter in-doors and terrible at the range under the shelter at the benches. My next step, if I continue to seek the Holy Grail of buds, is a British company which seems to be huge with both sporting and competition shooters in England, perhaps throughout Europe. They have many iterations, but one in particular has a stellar battery life also. I'll provide their link for your perusal. "http://www.censdigital.com/"

Some hype on their premier buds:

cens_proflex2_plus.jpg

CENS® ProFlex+ has a slightly deeper top tray that allows for the size 13 battery, which almost doubles the battery life compared to the standard ProFlex 312 module. This therefore effectively halves the running cost and along with the larger battery size being easier to handle makes the ProFlex+ module unbeatable!
The ProFlex+ higher profile design provides the user controls with better protection, making the module more durable during every day use.

A power upgrade kit is available for existing CENS® ProFlex users, that allows you to upgrade from the standard 312 battery to the 13 battery.

ProFlex+ Features:
  • All of the ProFlex digital 2 features plus the following upgrades:
  • 13 battery type instead of 312.
  • Approx 400 hours battery life instead of 220 hours.
  • 2 Year Warranty

These are $1,895 at their US distributor.
https://www.westone.com/store/defendear/index.php/defendear-digital/defendear-digital-hunter/

I have these, as does my hunting/business partner:
https://earinc.com/product/digital-basic-multi-memory/

They work extremely well, and I wear them almost all of the time. When at the range, I slip a pair of muffs overtop, and don't hear much of anything. We each had them made during a visit to the SHOT Show several years ago.

Battery life tip: When you remove the sealing/protector strip from your new battery, let the battery sit for 5 minutes before you install it. Doing this will notably increase the life of the battery.

I've owned a pair of esp hearing plugs for about 5 years. Similar to the other custom molded ones.
Best investment I've made in a long time.
I get my hearing checked at work yearly and my hearing hasn't deteriorated.
They are comfortable, mostly. Anything stuck in my ear gets a little annoying after a few hours. Never painful though.
It's nice to be able to adjust the volume depending on the situation.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.