Over the Ear Hearing Protection

270Weatherby

I recently dropped my Pro Ears predator into some water and they are dead. The ear cups are the most comfortable I've felt and I prefer over the ear. Does anyone have advice for the best high quality electronic ear muffs? Used for Range, duck hunting, and big game.

I've been using the MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X ear muffs for a couple years now and really like them. I ordered them with the gel pads and can wear them all day without any discomfort.

My 15+ year old Peltor Tactical 7 electronic ear muffs are about to die on me after many years of great service.

I'm really looking for 2 things in electronic ear muffs.

1. The highest noise reduction ratio (NRR) possible (30 or more)

2. The ability to crank up the sound amplification to high levels to compensate for my lousy hearing when I'm hunting.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
There are at least 2 models of Howard Leight electronic earmuffs and the one I'm now interested in is the "Howard Leight by Honeywell Impact Pro High Noise Reduction Rating Sound Amplification Electronic Shooting Earmuff for Indoor and Covered Ranges or Other Extremely Loud Shooting Environments (R-01902)"
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007BGSI5U/?tag=lrhmag19-20

These have an NRR of 30 which is very high for electronic muffs at least from what I've found but sound amplification is not good at all for the hunter wanting to hear better.

The Howard Leight Impact Sport muffs only have an NRR rating of 22 which is waaaaaay less if you've ever tried both in the same day.

I believe that my old Peltor Tac 7 muffs have an NRR of 29 which is very good but they've been discontinued for several years. The new Peltor Tac 500's are pretty good with an NRR rating of 26 which is ok for hunting but not enough for me at a range. They DO have bluetooth which is great if you're wanting to listen to music or whatever else from your phone without disturbing game but the amplification of outside noises is barely better than normal hearing gets you which for my damaged hearing is inadequate. The old Tac 7s can be turned up to where normal sounds are almost painful but you can hear a gnat fart at 600 yards and for hunting that can be a huge plus.

The Supreme Pro-X muffs only offer 18-19 NRR... Those won't do at all for a magnum rifle or any that has a brake on it.
http://s7d9.scene7.com/is/content/minesafetyappliances/0900-84-MC_Hunt Shoot Hearing Protect - EN

Yes but in the attenuation frequency of a a rifle shot the NRR number is much higher - something between 29 and 32 as I recall. The NRR rating is a wide frequency rating.. for a general over all differentiation of ear protection.

I don't think you can do better than the Sordin Supreme Pro X ear muffs for rifle and pistol shots. These muffs are worn by the pros that run ranges, and teach classes.

Last edited:
I've used 2 types--an in the ear by Sport Ear that amplifies and then cuts off loud noises. They work ok, but the cut off circuit is a bit slow in my opinion. I also have some Howard Leight electronic muffs. They work well and cut off quickly. I've primarily worn the muffs for bird hunting. The downside to the muffs is that if you're moving much, they 'sweat' around the ears where the muff touches your head. The Sport Ear are better for hunts where hiking is involved. The muffs are worth the price. Sport Ears are made by Starkey which is one of the well known hearing aid manufacturers. They're around $300.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.