Keeping it simple with reloading

I like to keep reloading simple, but do you think he would have the same results with regular RCBS dies using an expander ball?

Or another way of looking at it... if you substituted him with the average reloader and used his stuff, would the results be the same?
If the rcbs die sized correctly, yes. Second question would be maybe. What I like about BR is its a true test of the rifle and load. The shooter is important but how he tunes is more important than how he pulls the trigger. At 1k, its very hard to read all the conditions. The rifles have to shoot small to win. This is not a unique situation. The majority of shooters I know that are at this level are loading in a similar way.

I like to keep reloading simple, but do you think he would have the same results with regular RCBS dies using an expander ball?

Or another way of looking at it... if you substituted him with the average reloader and used his stuff, would the results be the same?
I had a whole lot of trouble with RCBS dies particularly with the loosening and breaking of the deprimer/expander balls and breaking of the deprimer.

Yes, replacements are cheap but it's a pain to have to stop, change, or repair.

Eventually moved away from RCBS dies completely in favor of Hornady and Redding. The Lee universal decapping die is well worth the extra step.

One step. Its a .268 chamber so a fired neck will typically measure .267" and we use a .260 bushing in the die. In the past when I was annealing for a dasher I would step it down twice in an attempt to intentionally work the neck a little more and get some the hardness back. In my 338 Lapua improved I have a .369 neck and use a .362 bushing in the die. We work our BR brass as much or more than our hunting rounds. Theres a lot of misconception about what "Benchrest guys" do. Its the same as what we do for any rifle, give it what it wants. We know from testing tighter is not better when it comes to chamber clearance. I have more clearance in my BR reamers than many saami spec reamers.
Hopefully some of this stuff gets some guys try some stuff they would not have tried before.

Last edited:
Sorry for the stupid question, but how does a bushing die work vs using an expander ball in the FL die or a mandrel?

Sorry for the stupid question, but how does a bushing die work vs using an expander ball in the FL die or a mandrel?
You adjust the outer diameter by using different bushings.

A Mandrel or ball head uniforms the inside diameter.

You'll find once you start paying attention to necks is that the are rarely of uniform thickness even with new brass.

If you turn your necks all to the same thickness then either one will produce similar OD's once loaded.

Many ways to skin a cat, some are however better than others and Neck turning seems to be the most essential part of uniforming at least to me.

Gotcha. So his video appears a little misleading. I don't turn necks.. Seems like there is more than just run it through a F/L die, touch the primer pocket, prime, and load. Gotta turn the necks and get the right bushings, 21st century tool...etc.

More time and $$$ than the way I guess I originally thought.

Good info though if I decide to take it to the next level.

no i dont neck turn at least not yet he also says if you polish the sizing ball is a good idea the bushings just lets you change your neck tention