Keeping it simple with reloading

I am working on tuning up a new 1000yd BR rifle for myself. This was day one with a brand new barrel at 1k. Same test done twice only difference is lot # of bullets. I did turn my necks to fit my chamber with .004" clearence but no other prep or sorting, stock primer pockets, primers seated by feel. Didnt even clean the carbon out of them. Doesnt get much simpler.

And just one more of hundreds of targets that prove ES just isnt important so long as its reasonable.
For the top target the ES for 31-31.2 was 20 fps for the bottom target the ES for all 4 powder charges was 36, for the 3 charges that went into 2.098" of vertical the es was 23.
DSC_0500.JPG
DSC_0501.JPG

And just one more of hundreds of targets that prove ES just isnt important so long as its reasonable..... for the 3 charges that went into 2.098" of vertical es was 23.
You're right, ES isn't important when you crush it to perfection. 🤣 You're at what, an SD of 4-6 fps?

I really think guys just tend to have unrealistic expectations for ES, they want low single digit ES because those are surprisingly easy to get in small sample sizes - it's not hard to shoot a 1SD/1ES group of three.

My point is guys will get on a ballistics calculator and say you need x es to shoot x vertical based on bullet drop. They ignore barrel harmonics. Theres 12 shots in 3.6 inches of vertical at 1k with 36 fps of es. 9 shots in 2 inches with 23. They will tell you that's not possible. It's very common to see if you shoot groups a lot. I try to help guys improve their accuracy and so many are focused on single digit es when they are shooting .5 moa or bigger. I dont want to hear about single digit es unless your shooting under an inch at 1k or your shooting past a mile.

How many guys have shot some of the best groups of their lives (at any range ) with RCBS dies????? Maybe because that is all they have or in standard calibers they are $32 and are on the shelf at their local gun shops... I am including in the group... Probably the best 20-30 groups I have ever shot were using bullets reloaded using RCBS dies and a Redding ultramag press...I have never seen where at least with me behind the gun that the expensive dies make a difference...Now I don't expect myself as a shooter to be able to compete with a guy that shots as much as Alex or anyone else that practices allot... A well put together gun with a quality barrel , trigger and load work up are the major factors in how a rifle is going to shoot..I usually stop many many steps short of what we have seen Alex do on his posts when he is wringing out a new caliber on load workup, changing barrels to a different rifling, making his own dies, and all the other steps he does ... For the most part I want to ring steel out to 1000 yards and have a hunting rifle...As soon as I get this I am bored and usually start looking for a different rifle build....

Dies & Brass along with Bullets can make a difference with the same lots # . But the rifle will shoot better than the rifleman !!! Alex I'll take that target ant day of the week- good shooting o_O With a good spotting scope one can see and call his shots.

My point is guys will get on a ballistics calculator and say you need x es to shoot x vertical based on bullet drop. They ignore barrel harmonics. Theres 12 shots in 3.6 inches of vertical at 1k with 36 fps of es. 9 shots in 2 inches with 23. They will tell you that's not possible. It's very common to see if you shoot groups a lot. I try to help guys improve their accuracy and so many are focused on single digit es when they are shooting .5 moa or bigger. I dont want to hear about single digit es unless your shooting under an inch at 1k or your shooting past a mile.
Very good point and amazing shooting as always! 👍