Just how accurate do I need to be?

Iron Worker

6x284 51grs of H4350 behind 87gr V-max gives me 3,400F PS with groups in the 3s. 53.0 same powder and bullet gives nearly 3,600FPS. But its a max loads and gives 5s and 6s in 5 shot groups.Is it worth it? Will a Coyote know the difference? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

At long range accuracy counts the most. At least thats what I"ve been thinking lately. A 100fps is nothing if you cant hit what your aiming. Your rifle will take a little easier beating to. Go with the more accurate load, then when you miss, you cant blame the load altogether, haha. Just my opinion.

Go w/25 06's advice. I used to be caught up w/speed, but the more I hung around here, the more I learned. I will now sacrifice velocity for accuracy any day. Like he said, it's also easier on the gun and the brass.

I fully agree, with 25 and Bill, I only have to loads, both use Retumbo powder. One is light load using 180 Barnes Triple Shock,

xxxshock.jpg

The other Load is using 200 Grains Nosler Accubond, at 100 yards,

9hns45.jpg

I like the BC of 0.588 of the Nosler Accubond... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

That's all from factory barrel.

go with the best accuracy. Too many people are hung up on the speed and the "once in a lifetime small group".

Real world, you will consistently end up with groups at 1000 that are minimum of 2-4x the best MOA at 100. for example if your gun consistently (not once, but time after time) goes into the .3s, then expect 1k groups of 6-12" minimum. That is real world and consistent with hundreds of 1k BR shooters and the best guns in the world.

Sure you will occasionally get one smaller but not consistently.

BH

When I develop a load I shoot for the best precision (consistently smallest group) and once I've settled on a load I THEN run it over the chronograph... This seems to eliminate my tendancy to follow speed.

Just as I suspected.But its a 6x284!!!! Ok all I want is to beat 240 Weatherby MVs and I'll be satisfied.It took forever to find that load that would shoot that good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thinkin' out loud here. @ 1000 yds, which is more probable, a 3 inch group with the slower velocity or a 5 inch group with the higher velocity? Just thinking of time of flight and affects of nature.

As you may gather, I'm a velocity Hawg /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Besides, you'll get to play with ia different barrel sooner. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I almost always take raw accuracy over velocity. When hunting small targets like dall sheep or coues whitetails you need raw accuracy to hit the vitals and less velocity to do the job. When I am after moose, given the size of the target, I demand less accuracy and more power. When I say less accuracy I am talking about .5 to .75 MOA at the intended ranges to be fired. Usually for moose its 600-700 yards. .75 MOA for a boiler that big will suffice. I still for that scene prefer .5 MOA. My sheep rig will deliver .5 MOA down range on a BAD day, but has a lower velocity than my moose rig. Sheep 190 SMK @ 2657 FPS, .25-.5 MOA. Moose 200 AB 3150 FPS, .5-.75 MOA. Use balance

Oh...if you can shoot 5 shots from 1000 yds. and cover them with the palm of your hand.....that'll work for starters!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Just my .2
When I get to where you are at, next I run it out to 500 and shoot groups on a calm day. I had one like yours that held 1/2 MOA all the way out and the tiny grouper fell apart.
"Fast is fine, accurate is final"

Iron worker I would take both loads and test them at 300 yards and see what one shoots the best. Sometimes when a bullet is going fast it will shoot better at 300 yards then it does at 100 yards. As for beating 240 Weatherby velocity that should not be a problem. I am shooting 95 B-Tips at 3526fps out of my 6-284. My rifle also really likes them hot. Infact when I get it to the point where it starts to open up the primer pockets on the Lapua brass it will shoot 1/2inch 3 shot groups at 300 yards all day long. But I will not let her have what she wants. So I get 3/4inch groups at 300 and have to live with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.