Do I need to neck turn?

I for one appreciate a detailed discussion. All food for thought.

What's the matter guys? Don't we have enough other forums and threads about why the bolt is hard to close or what's wrong with my groups basic BS?

You should always read and try to comprehend what Mikecr is posting cause he is way ahead of most of us. Phorwath, AZShooter, boomtube and others all add very educating posts. Bart BS makes a **** good foil and has a lot of info.

Let the dogs run!

Bart BS makes a **** good foil and has a lot of info.
"Bart BS?" Is that an invite to make snide remarks about you, Mr. Woods? Or maybe just make a mockery out of you and all you believe in. I thought such things were beneath your position in life. But instead it's made me think you're the "foil" extraordinaire personified. Maybe you should not post any more comments about all this until you are at least 10 years old; maybe even 15.

Last edited:
it has been proven that with only the primer ignited and before the powder lights the bullet is already moving, that is why the small primer is used in Benchrest (205 Federal shoots better because it don't move the bullet) very little flame.

it has been proven that with only the primer ignited and before the powder lights the bullet is already moving, that is why the small primer is used in Benchrest (205 Federal shoots better because it don't move the bullet) very little flame.

My personal experience in this area is zero. I understand a small primer has a smaller flame, but your post makes me wonder if all Benchrest primers have a smaller flame or are they only made so the flame is more consistently the same. Any thoughts on this?

I think it was in the magazine Precision Shooting Primer, where they had pics of the flame fired through a very short like 2" barrel. It was very telling how much flame certain primers have. If I can find the article I'll try to post if interested.

Info from another forum on this subject.......

A fellow who had participated in the HP White tests in the 1970's said they'd found bullets didn't start moving until about 10,000 psi. QuickLOAD thinks it's more like 3600 psi. Force on the bullet's equall to pressure in psi times cross sectional area of the bullet. Pressure increase partly stalls as the volume expands as the bullet slips from case neck to throat. There's at least one plot in the 1965 Lloyd Brownell study (link below) showing pressure flats at around 12,000 psi. So this can vary.

I'm a little surprised bullet weight isn't included in the calculation.

Spencer

While common with handgun cartridges (in my own tests), larger volume rifle cases oft times will let the bullet stay in place held by the case neck.

How else would my 20 some odd rounds of 7.62 NATO ammo without powder and 190-gr. bullets come back out of the chamber and the bullet had not moved forward one bit? Those bullets needed about 25 pounds of pulling force to dislodge them from the case mouth.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts