Just bought 4 Rem 783's for $199 each!

i have a question about the boyds stock, if you adjusted it all the way down as if it had the standard cheek rest, do you think it would be higher than the factory stock.

if it is, how much higher would you say it is?

i bought 4 of them and deciding which way to go with the stock at this point.

i am also considering new barrels and am curious how square people are finding the actions are from the factory. i am curious because on a $220 rifle it is hard to spend close to the purchase price in machine work, a recoil lug and a new nut since these rifles seem like most all of them are moa or better with the stock barrel and some bedding.

thx

i have a question about the boyds stock, if you adjusted it all the way down as if it had the standard cheek rest, do you think it would be higher than the factory stock.

if it is, how much higher would you say it is?

i bought 4 of them and deciding which way to go with the stock at this point.

i am also considering new barrels and am curious how square people are finding the actions are from the factory. i am curious because on a $220 rifle it is hard to spend close to the purchase price in machine work, a recoil lug and a new nut since these rifles seem like most all of them are moa or better with the stock barrel and some bedding.

thx

With the standard cheek rest it is probably comparable to the original stock height. I just compared and couldn't really see much difference. The original stock is not a monte carlo or target style but I never had a problem getting a good cheek weld and still seeing through a scope.

I have this Boyds already and have a Richards Microfit on the way in real Walnut.

I liked the rifles enough that I ordered the PT&G bottom metal for them to get rid of the last bit of plastic.

It's funny, you do 1 upgrade and that convinces you to do another upgrade and then before you know it you are logically justifying a new custom barrel. :)

I already have quite a few hunting rifles. Part of the reason I got new barrels for these rifles was because I wanted a couple rifles that had thicker barrels. I like the fact that I'll be able to change the barrels myself if they get used up, especially with the 6.5-284 barrel I ordered. But you've been able to do that with Savage rifles for years.

My new barrels won't be here for a few months. I am happy to update again though when I get the receivers squared. I ALMOST did not get the new recoil lug and barrel nut for the same reason you are stating.

When I first started testing these rifles I wasn't reloading yet and the POI didn't seem as drastic when the barrels got heated. However once I figured out what I was doing with reloading and found some very accurate loads, the POI shifts from heated barrels became extremely apparent. That's another reason why I could justify custom barrels.

I ordered my barrels from NSS, but I see that Pac-Nor also offers barrels for the 783's now.

Brownells also sells a DIY receiver squaring kit that I've thought about getting. But I have no experence with it and didn't see many reviews on them.

My advice, if you want to keep them hunting rifles, they are plenty accurate with the factory barrels. I've had a lot of fun modifying mine so far and I'm really looking forward to this next rifle which will end up being a 300 Win Mag chambered long for the 215-230gr bullets, with a Sendero contour, 26 inches with muzzle brake, and wearing a real Walnut stock (that I will need to learn how to inlet).

I don't have any regrets so far. However I do like learning and tinkering.

Hey, been lurking on this site and just decided to join so I could reply to this thread.
I own 3 Rem 783's that I got for 199 each as well. One was an '06 but now its a pac-nor #8 28" 8 twist 7mm-08 (long action so I have plenty of room for the berger 195's). In a boyds pro varmint stock. Another 7mm Rem mag that's also in a pro varmint, and a .270 that's all stock. I still have the factory '06 barrel as well, so I guess you could say I have 4 of these.

I love these rifles, they all shoot great!

What I especially want to share with you is the work I did to the trigger. It is extremely easy to perform a trigger job on the trigger group. I pushed out the pins holding in the trigger blade, removed the trigger, cut one coil off of the sear safety spring to soften that first step in squeezing the trigger, removed the trigger spring and went down to home depot with it. I found a whole box of misc. springs there, and one type in the box was a perfect match in length and width to the trigger spring, only a lighter gauge wire making it a lot softer. I installed this spring in place with the adjustment screw backed all the way down. Finally I took the trigger and polished the sear engagement surface to a shine. I just used my work sharp belt sander knife sharpener with the polishing belt on and ran it over the surface until it was shiny.

End result was an extremely excellent trigger, I haven't measured the pull weight on it but it breaks like glass with little pressure, I'm guessing around a pound or so. I drop tested it many times banging it around pretty good and it never fired. Maybe that sear safety is doing its job? I have been thinking about making a YouTube movie about this to explain it visualy. It only took about 10 mins of actual work. I could have taken out the sear and polished that too, but I never did after putting it back together because it feels great with just the trigger polished.
The only thing is I wish the trigger had an adjustment to take out over travel, it still isn't as good as my model 70 trigger in that regard, but you don't notice it unless your used to shooting a trigger with no over travel. Let me know if you guys are interested in a video or pics.

Hey, been lurking on this site and just decided to join so I could reply to this thread.
I own 3 Rem 783's that I got for 199 each as well. One was an '06 but now its a pac-nor #8 28" 8 twist 7mm-08 (long action so I have plenty of room for the berger 195's). In a boyds pro varmint stock. Another 7mm Rem mag that's also in a pro varmint, and a .270 that's all stock. I still have the factory '06 barrel as well, so I guess you could say I have 4 of these.

I love these rifles, they all shoot great!

What I especially want to share with you is the work I did to the trigger. It is extremely easy to perform a trigger job on the trigger group. I pushed out the pins holding in the trigger blade, removed the trigger, cut one coil off of the sear safety spring to soften that first step in squeezing the trigger, removed the trigger spring and went down to home depot with it. I found a whole box of misc. springs there, and one type in the box was a perfect match in length and width to the trigger spring, only a lighter gauge wire making it a lot softer. I installed this spring in place with the adjustment screw backed all the way down. Finally I took the trigger and polished the sear engagement surface to a shine. I just used my work sharp belt sander knife sharpener with the polishing belt on and ran it over the surface until it was shiny.

End result was an extremely excellent trigger, I haven't measured the pull weight on it but it breaks like glass with little pressure, I'm guessing around a pound or so. I drop tested it many times banging it around pretty good and it never fired. Maybe that sear safety is doing its job? I have been thinking about making a YouTube movie about this to explain it visualy. It only took about 10 mins of actual work. I could have taken out the sear and polished that too, but I never did after putting it back together because it feels great with just the trigger polished.
The only thing is I wish the trigger had an adjustment to take out over travel, it still isn't as good as my model 70 trigger in that regard, but you don't notice it unless your used to shooting a trigger with no over travel. Let me know if you guys are interested in a video or pics.

i for one would love to see such a video!

also, do you have the part or item number for the springs you bought?

thx

Last edited:
i just ordered one of these to see if i feel like the adj comb will be worth the extra $90 from boyds.

Custom Operator Kydex Adjustable Cheek Rest Riser 080" for Scoped Rifle Black | eBay

did you have a part number for the truing piece from brownells?

Sure, this is where I read about it. But I'll say again that I've never used it so I can't recommend one way or the other. If you do get it, please post back here and let me know how it goes!

Real Guns - A Remington Rifle Build - Unplugged Part II

Everbilt, Spring Assortment Kit (84-Pack), 15642 at The Home Depot - Mobile

That's the spring kit from home depot I used. There are 4 springs in that kit that will work. Compare your existing trigger spring to the springs in the kit, you'll see 4 that are an exact match in length and width, only much lighter weight on the compression. I've used 3 out of that kit on my 783's.

I bought a trigger pull gauge and each rifle is right at 1 pound. That is with the adjustment screw backed all the way down, you can crank it up if you wish.

Like I said before I have banged the crap out of the rifle dropping it from every angle and never had it fire with the 1# pull weight. I feel comfortable hunting with it. I guess if it worries you crank it up.

Even if the spring wasn't changed out because you want a 2.5 lb pull you can at least polish up the trigger sear surface and that would make the trigger much better by itself. Removes all the creep.

I'm working on the video now

4 springs for 4 rifles for 4 bucks. Cheapest trigger job I've ever seen. They are stainless steel springs as well.

I really like the sear safety with the cut spring and the 1 pound pull weight, makes the trigger almost feel like a 2 stage, because once you take up the safety blade, its just a breath more and the rifle cracks

Right now I don't see a custom trigger, so this will have to do. I wish there was an over travel adjustment, but oh well. I paid $199 each, I'm happy. You can't even buy an action that cheap.
I really want to get more information about these rifles out there, I think their a great value. Hopefully we will see more aftermarket products come out for them.

Last edited:
4 springs for 4 rifles for 4 bucks. Cheapest trigger job I've ever seen. They are stainless steel springs as well.

I really like the sear safety with the cut spring and the 1 pound pull weight, makes the trigger almost feel like a 2 stage, because once you take up the safety blade, its just a breath more and the rifle cracks

Right now I don't see a custom trigger, so this will have to do. I wish there was an over travel adjustment, but oh well. I paid $199 each, I'm happy. You can't even buy an action that cheap.
I really want to get more information about these rifles out there, I think their a great value. Hopefully we will see more aftermarket products come out for them.

you cant even buy a jewel trigger for what i paid for the ones i bought!:D

thx for the info, im going to give it a try.

Everbilt, Spring Assortment Kit (84-Pack), 15642 at The Home Depot - Mobile

That's the spring kit from home depot I used. There are 4 springs in that kit that will work. Compare your existing trigger spring to the springs in the kit, you'll see 4 that are an exact match in length and width, only much lighter weight on the compression. I've used 3 out of that kit on my 783's.

I bought a trigger pull gauge and each rifle is right at 1 pound. That is with the adjustment screw backed all the way down, you can crank it up if you wish.

Like I said before I have banged the crap out of the rifle dropping it from every angle and never had it fire with the 1# pull weight. I feel comfortable hunting with it. I guess if it worries you crank it up.

Even if the spring wasn't changed out because you want a 2.5 lb pull you can at least polish up the trigger sear surface and that would make the trigger much better by itself. Removes all the creep.

I'm working on the video now

can you take the adj screw out completely, or is it necessary to retain or align something?

I completely removed mine with no ill effects. The bore for the spring is barely bigger than the diameter of the spring so i cant see how there could be a problem. If you wanted to screw it in just far enough for the tapered part of the screw to provide some level of alignment and then tighten down the nut I think there is plenty of room for that in the stock.

Just an update; looks like EGW recently started offering 20 MOA rails for the long action 783's. I just ordered 2 of them. Previously these were not available.
Remington 783 Long Action Picatinny Rail Scope Mount 20 MOA: EGW Gun Parts

I'm still waiting on my 2 barrels from NSS/Criterian. 6.5-284, 28 inches long, muzzle threaded, full bull contour (1 inch at muzzle). And 300 Win Mag Match, 26 inches long, muzzle threaded, Sendero contour.

Also waiting on PT&G bottom metal for both.

Hopeing it all gets to me while it's still crap weather outside to give me something to do before spring.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.