Just bought a 204, need opinions for it and my 223

MasonG

Alright guys, I bit the bullet and bought a Savage 10 Predator in 204. I believe I got a really good deal on it from everything I've seen price wise. Its got the Mossy Oak camo stock and barrel, has the removable clip and heavy barrel, right up my alley. So now I have a buddy for my Savage 10 in 223 which is the Tactic version with the heavy barrel.

The plan is to make them tack drivers obviously which the 223 already is. Probably going to replace the current Nikon on the 223 with a Leupold which is also what I'm leaning towards for the 204. Not sure how I'll like a black scope on an all camo gun, but I'll look into vinyl wraps or something.

If these were your guns, and you wanted to make them tack driving varmint guns out to 400, what would you do? I just like hearing opinions about things I've not even thought about.

What's the twist in your 204 ruger? If its a standard 1:12, try using Berger 35 gr. a few that have used these bullets recommend them. If you have a faster twist say 1:10 or faster, you can use the heavier 40 gr's or more for down range performance.

Out to 400yds the 32-38gr bullets work extremely well.

Float it, bed it, and find a load it likes after you put some good glass on it.

My recommendation for glass would be the VX3 4.5-14x50 or VX3 6-24x50 if you want to go with Leupold.

Visit our own classified section here at LRH regularly and you can pick up some great deals.

I have a Remington VLS in 223. It has a 1-12 twist so the heavy bullets are out for me. I have had excellent luck with Fiocchi 40 gr and 50 gr vmax loads. They seem to be very consistent with their quality control, and pretty inexpensive. It also shoots the Black Hills 60 gr vmax's pretty well.
Any of those loads will smoke prairie dogs well into the 400's. My friends shoot 22-250 and my 223 will do just as well on a dogtown.
As for the optics I love my Sightron S3's. I have a few now and have never had any issues with any of them. They have lots of travel for dialing, decent reticle choices for holding elevation and are priced pretty well.

Thanks for the replies fellas. Is bedding a gun something I should learn to do or have done? Definitely going to put really good scopes on both guns. Now that I have experienced quality glass with my own eyes, I'll meet go back. And at this point I won't be reloading but in the future I may.

Thanks for the replies fellas. Is bedding a gun something I should learn to do or have done? Definitely going to put really good scopes on both guns. Now that I have experienced quality glass with my own eyes, I'll meet go back. And at this point I won't be reloading but in the future I may.
It's something you CAN learn to do for yourself fairly easily if you are a handy guy and have some basic tools. There are quite a few pretty good "How to Bed a Rifle" videos on youtube.

IF you are going to own many rifles it is something you should learn to do for yourself IF you are a handy guy and have the time and tools.

Either way it is something that should be done with every bolt rifle from the get go. If the barrel is not free floated and a good bedding job done (preferably with pillars installed) you are never going to get the most out of your rifle precision wise.

Hornady and Winchester factory ammo performed very well for me in my CZ .204 and the ammo is cheap enough I never bothered to reload.

Thank you Wild Rose! I am a handy guy and tool wise I'm definitely more than set, so that should be no issue. I'll start watching the videos. I have quite a few bolt-actions, a couple of which I'd like to put in new, better stocks so I can do a few while I'm at it.

I have a 10 Predator in 204. I also built a 204 with a 26" barrel on 110 action. Factory Hornady vmax 40 grain ammo shot in the 1s and 2s. Handloads are about the same and Sierra 40 grain bullets actually shot a little bit better. Since I like hand loading and it is a bit cheaper I do that instead of trying to find factory ammo. I am amazed at how well it shoots on factory.

FYI, the stocks are pillar bedded and should be free floating. I have done nothing but inspect the stocks and ensure there is no area that created pressure spots, like defects. I torque to 45 in lbs and shoot.

I have a 10 Predator in 204. I also built a 204 with a 26" barrel on 110 action. Factory Hornady vmax 40 grain ammo shot in the 1s and 2s. Handloads are about the same and Sierra 40 grain bullets actually shot a little bit better. Since I like hand loading and it is a bit cheaper I do that instead of trying to find factory ammo. I am amazed at how well it shoots on factory.

FYI, the stocks are pillar bedded and should be free floating. I have done nothing but inspect the stocks and ensure there is no area that created pressure spots, like defects. I torque to 45 in lbs and shoot.
The hornady factory ammo performed extremely well in my CZ as well. I was shooting the 32gr VMAX though as it never did like the bullets over 38gr.

The hornady factory ammo performed extremely well in my CZ as well. I was shooting the 32gr VMAX though as it never did like the bullets over 38gr.

My buddies Remington shoots pretty well on factory ammo too. It seems like it is hard to mess up a 204. When I was setting up hand loads it used 7 different powders with various seating depths and they all shot well. I settled on the highest velocity and best accuracy combo with a extreme powder. H4198.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.