Just bought 4 Rem 783's for $199 each!

Well I'm getting my first taste of what many of you guys have complained about in the firearm industry. I ordered my PT&G bottom metal for both rifles a while back. They are supposed to be here already. (Based on their 6 week projection when I originally ordered).

I contacted PT&G yesterday and they said "Hopefully by March".

Ahhh, don't these companies know that my project plans are formed from their timing estimates? While a little annoyed, as long as I get them "by March" I will still be happy. If it gets pushed out to summer or next fall... well hopefully that doesn't happen.

"PT&G's machines will be in full use and cannot be changed because of a large order from Remington."

On a better note; the 20 MOA picatinny rails I ordered from EGW were at my house in under a week from the time of order. Thank you EGW!

For calibers, I'd go 220 swift, 25-06, 6mm rem, and 308 win.

Thanks for the suggestions. I like all of the cartridges you listed. Although all 4 rifles that I purchased were long actions.

I did end up selling 2 of the 783 rifles (for a nice profit). The last 2 that I still have are turning into a 6.5-284 and a 300 Win Mag (match chambering to shoot the heavies). Mainly chose those cartridges because it rounds out my collection nicely.

Fawk it, get an in stock lss or hs3 chassis from MDT. Has integration with AICS mags as part of the system.

Those MDT chassis's are sweet. They only make them for the 783 short actions though! I called them a while back and they stated to have intentions to make the chassis for the long action 783, but their website shows it is still not available.

OH and BTW, a long action makes for a sweet short action cartridge receiver when your using long bullets seated way out to not intrude on case capacity. My 7mm-08 is built on a long action, and I use 180 and 195 bergers seated with only the boat tail below the neck.

Works great and I can load in the mag fine.

OH and BTW, a long action makes for a sweet short action cartridge receiver when your using long bullets seated way out to not intrude on case capacity. My 7mm-08 is built on a long action, and I use 180 and 195 bergers seated with only the boat tail below the neck.

Works great and I can load in the mag fine.

Thanks.

Yup, the 6.5-284 is also originally a short action cartridge and I'm putting that into a long action. Although so many people have done that with this cartridge it's probably just as common to see it in either action length now a days.

Gotcha, I just saw you mention a couple posts ago that those suggested cartridges were short action so I thought I'd throw it out there. I didn't know 6.5-284 was short action, never been around it, I figured it was long. :)

Thanks.

Yup, the 6.5-284 is also originally a short action cartridge and I'm putting that into a long action. Although so many people have done that with this cartridge it's probably just as common to see it in either action length now a days.
Before you get started make sure you have the right bolt face. If you have a magnum bolt face you may run into serious issues switching to a standard since the 783 is so new I'm not sure there is going to be much aftermarket support for some time.

Have a good talk with your gunsmith ahead of time and make sure there isn't a problem.

If it was a magnum bolt face (doubt it) the floating head is interchangeable and can be replaced. Like a savage. Pt&g makes replacements that are better steel than stock to stand up to 1000s of rounds.

Remington 783 Bolt Heads - Pacific Tool and Gauge

Stock replacements are available too. There is starting to be lots of aftermarket for these, not like a Rem 700 or savage, but its more than some rifles.

Thanks for the suggestions. I like all of the cartridges you listed. Although all 4 rifles that I purchased were long actions.

I did end up selling 2 of the 783 rifles (for a nice profit). The last 2 that I still have are turning into a 6.5-284 and a 300 Win Mag (match chambering to shoot the heavies). Mainly chose those cartridges because it rounds out my collection nicely.

Those MDT chassis's are sweet. They only make them for the 783 short actions though! I called them a while back and they stated to have intentions to make the chassis for the long action 783, but their website shows it is still not available.

Good choice on the calibers. 300 win mag is an excellent cartridge. I own one in Remington 700 with a vortex razor hd. I don't own a 6.5-284 but my girlfriend does, and it shoots really nice.

Good choice on the calibers. 300 win mag is an excellent cartridge. I own one in Remington 700 with a vortex razor hd. I don't own a 6.5-284 but my girlfriend does, and it shoots really nice.
I wish my girl friend had a 6.5-284 and a bass boat. Well she does own a 4 wheeldrive LOL:):)

Before you get started make sure you have the right bolt face. If you have a magnum bolt face you may run into serious issues switching to a standard since the 783 is so new I'm not sure there is going to be much aftermarket support for some time.

Have a good talk with your gunsmith ahead of time and make sure there isn't a problem.

If it was a magnum bolt face (doubt it) the floating head is interchangeable and can be replaced. Like a savage. Pt&g makes replacements that are better steel than stock to stand up to 1000s of rounds.

Remington 783 Bolt Heads - Pacific Tool and Gauge

Stock replacements are available too. There is starting to be lots of aftermarket for these, not like a Rem 700 or savage, but its more than some rifles.

Thanks WildRose. All of these rifles started life as 30-06's so they all have a standard bolt face. From what I've read, that will work fine with the 6.5-284. The 284 case is fat but has a rebated rim.

For the 300 Win Mag I was potentially just going to have a gunsmith open the bolt face up some. A bit of online searching and I found out it was cheaper to get a new bolt face from PT&G. Which is what I did. I have one on order.

I actually wanted to get a new stainless bolt for the rifle that will become the 300 Win Mag, just to match the new barrel and brake. However PT&G's website says the new bolt face is "drop in" but the new bolt needs a gunsmith. At first I thought maybe just because the headspace will need to be set. But some websites were saying there is more to be done to make a new bolt work correctly. If I remember correctly, people were saying with a newly manufactured bolt the lugs may not even cycle in the receiver correctly too without some gunsmith work. Not sure, so I just ordered the bolt face to be safe.

In my line of work when I project becomes way more expensive than originally projected, we call that "scope creep". Trying hard to end up with a couple sweet rifles that are fun to shoot but not let the budget get out of hand.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.