Joe Russo Laminate Stock

OverBore

All of the McMillan hardware can be used on my laminated stocks, they just need to be modified to accept it. A competant gunsmith with a milling machine and a little time would turn out a nice stock. Adjustable cheek piece, butt spacers, and flush cups are all pieces that can be ordered seperately from McMillan.

d-a: many thanks. Will do when I am finished with my experimental stock: 28" Vias muzle braked, 300wsm tight neck chambered in prototype metal and carbon fiber tac stock bedded with a vented bedding block. Joel's stock will be next for a "F" class 6.5 I am compiling componets for already. Will be shooting off a Seb co-axial rest just received. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Overbore

Very nice stock. I saw some of these on ebay about 2 weeks ago. I also went and looked at the other thread about the A-5L. Very nice looking stock, but from what was explained and the lack of lead time, I have a feeling these are being made by richards microfit. Their lam tactical stocks with a 3-3.5" in foreend sell for about $180-190. On the other site they also recomended a sealer that cost $200 a gallon, wow!

Frank,

E-mail sent back to you.

Robbor,

I'm glad you like my stocks. However, I don't think you found any of them on e-bay. A tactical stock maybe, but not my A-5L. "I" make these stocks, and I can assure you that they do not come from Richards. Yes, delivery time is about three weeks, and I work like hell to meet that time frame. Perhaps you should contact Richards and ask them if they are in any way involved with the manufacturing process. Sorry if I sound harsh, but what would make you think they are being made by anyone but me. There are about 15 pages of info on my stocks on the "other" long range hunting forum, and nowhere in any of those pages did I state that they are being made by anyone but myself. There are a few gentlemen on these forums that will back me up.

After I replied I want back and looked at the other 10 pages and saw your updated lead time of 2-3 weeks and that clarifies that they are not from richards as they take forever from what Ive heard. As for ebay, they used the same milling pic that I believe you posted on the other site. I was impestted by the clone A5 stock and save it to favorites. They state:
This is a laminated version of McMillans A5 synthetic stock. It is inletted for a rem 700 long action right hand, heavy varmit taper barrel channel, and has a 3 inch wide forearm. It is not a drop-in stock some work must be accomplished by owner for proper fit and finish. The stock will not work for my application and therefore I need another stock. It is desert camo color which is light tan and brown laminates. The rifle stocks contained in the picture are examples only. The lower stock is close to the Desert Camo except it does not have the greeen or grey colors.

That was item # 7239085438 if you want to look it up.
They were asking $280.
You can also try this link:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...p;item=7239085438&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Joel is going to build me a thumbhole stock for a antelope gun Clay Spencer rebuilt. The stock shape will look like this and will be in the desert camo color. I have always wanted a thumbhole stock (kind of like always having wanted a ford mustang). Doesn't matter to me whether it is the best antelope hunting stock or not. It is what I want and I intend to have what I want. Boyd's Stocks would not return phone calls and were jeopardizing the time frames on my project. Joel will get me back on schedule with a good stock.

413694.jpg

Robbor,

I did not see Davosok's stock on e-bay, my apologies. I thought ceg1963 bought the stock from the classified section on the other long range forum. Daveosok called me to tell me that he was going to sell it because he was going to need another with more modifications. His was the first stock I made.
I pride myself in being available to answer questions, returning e-mails promptly, and getting a quality product in the hands of my fellow shooters in a timely fashion.
This whole project started when I did'nt want to spend the money or wait the wait that you have to to get a stock from McMillan. Don't get me wrong, I have a few of their stocks, and like them, but this is just another option. I was just going to make a few for me and a few friends, and well...now I'm pretty busy. I just finally finished one for myself, after about five months of making them. I want to really trick one out with all the McMillan accessories, but don't have the time right now. I'm sure someone will beat me to it as I'm getting alot of questions about adding the accessories.

I get the impression that you are a real standup guy. Im glad to see someone came up with a cheaper alternative to the A series stocks. I would take one if it wasnt for the machining that still nedds to be done. I have had to many DIY projects that did not turn out right that I am leaving everything to somone else for a while. As for the ebay stock, I read through stuff way to fast, and only look for pics, from memory i thought it was the manufature selling. Just sombody selling one, no one would expect you to know about it anyways. Have you thought about making a removable cheek piece on the stocks(not the alum plate style). I am sure many would like that if it was all ready for hardware.

I try to have a personal connection with those that are interested in the stocks. Those that know me know that I'll go the extra mile to "make it right". Making these stocks is just a side hobby of mine. I own a business, which has given me the opportunity to try to make a difference in how customers should be treated. In today's world, customer service is sometimes non-existent.
I do offer pillar bedding and final finishing for the stocks, send me your barreled action and I'll send you back a pillar bedded A-5L final finished with 8-9 coats of auto clear, then rubbed out to your preference of finish.
I am so busy trying to get these stock orders filled that I don't have time to design any of my own hardware for them. Maybe when things start to slow down, I'll trick one out.

As a positive suggestion, Viper, your stock is well suited for the "Barrel block" bedding technique which "only" involves cutting an approximate 8" long square C section out of the fore-arm and free floating the action. I am doing just that with another prototype stock using 600F high temp metal filled epoxy- real easy to do. There are blocks that are rectangular in cross section and have the option of an aluminum bottom plate that makes for a good Bench gun, the plate slides on the front rest, if everyything else is at competition level. Precision Shooting Magazine featured a new shooter with his barrel blocked ( self done ) rifle winning a National championship. Your system has all the "makins" for a winniing project. Cordially, Overbore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I've been corresponding with Joel following delays at McM - who still haven't replied to my e-mail of last week Friday asking about the status of my stock.

From my limited dealings with Joel and the rave reviews I've seen elsewhere I believe that he deserves the business.

I'm certainly going to see what I can arrange for one of the A5-L's.

Joel really seems willing to go out of his way to help out interested shooters.

WL
(In South Africa)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts