JE Custom and Lone Wolf 30-338 Lapua Improved Weatherby Mark V

Idaho CTD-The load I settled in on, was because it shot very small groups that day during load development, and still does.

I would be very happy if you are shooting 1/3 MOA at distance with your 30-8 (not sure what that is).

The discussion of velocity potential of a rifle vs barrel bore/groove diameter/mfg, concentric chambers, various actions....could go on and on and on, and still never be resolved.

Given equal case life, 26-27" barrel lengths, repeater capable COALs, and the use of temperature tolerant "hunting" powders, IMHO, you will be hard pressed to find a 30 caliber capable of matching the MV potential of the 30-338 Lapua Improved.

Attel-Since no brass is mfg for the 300 Lapua, folks have to wildcat or make thier own. The 338 Lapua case is the most commonly used as a parent case for the 300 Lapua/30-338 Lapua......therefore the differences between a 300 Lapua and 30-338 Lapua should only be answered by consulting the specific finish reamer print, or the dimensions of 3 times fired brass IMHO from the rifle in question....lots of variations. This will manifest itself into headaches with resizing dies if you try and do it any other way.

Finish reamer dimensions->fired brass dimensions->resizing die dimensions->fired brass dimensions should all be on the same sheet of music regarding your plans for the rifle.

-Your gunsmith is the best person to have this conversation with.

Good shooting! gun)

My case life is between 4 and 6 reloads but that isn't bad for Remington 8mm Rem. Mag brass. I've shot this load for years in this case and you really can't expect much more case life with crappy Remington brass. It likes to be loaded on the warm side for accuracy as do most belted magnum cases. My gun has shot in the .7's at 250yds and I shot one group of .96" at 550yds. I did shoot another that was about 1.5" high and 3.5" wide at 550yds with some wind. The wind was blowing quartering towards me for that group. I have shot several groups at 100yds in the .2's and .3's

I don't expect my .30-8mm to match a .30-.338 Lapua AI but if the Lapua wont shoot with loads closer to the top end and still give 8-10 reloads/case then it's hardly worth doing IMO. I have a .30-.378 Weatherby Imp. and case life with it is horrible if you try to crank it up. I have shot 150's over 4000fps, 165's @ 3850-3900, and 210's about 3650 with a 30" barrel but you get 2-3 reloads/case. It just seems like a lot of the beltless cases like loads 100-200fps lower rather than the top loads.

BTW my COL is just under 3.8" so I can only put one down in a standard magazine box and it sits in the feed ramp.

The .300 Jarrett is a .30-.358STA and has a 35 degree shoulder with a little less body taper. They are basically ballistic twins though. I think the Jarrett has 2.5grs more capacity. A .308 Baer is between the two in capacity. It has slightly more case taper .495 shoulder diameter if I remember right with the same 35 degree shoulder and the 358STA is .500 at the shoulder.

The .30-8mm is a 7 STW necked up or a 8mm Remington Mag. necked down.

I know it is a year later but I just came across this thread. Why did you sell it?
Just got my 300 Rouge from Travis. It is a 30/338 Improved with his reamer design. It is a real hammer. Shoots 215 hybrids at 3400 fps with 98.5 grs. Of retumbo. And is very accurate.
Not trying to hijack your threD.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.