issue leveling action/scope/ringcap level

The critical exterior alignment is the rings to each other so the rings alignment to the scope tube are perfectly aligned.

Are you using a ring alignment lap bar kit to set the ring alignment to each other? IMHO this is something that should ALWAYS be confirmed no matter what the rep or cost of the mount and without a doubt anytime there are separate rings involved. Even the best can send something out not within spec.

Not sure how much the elevation cap is off by up to a couple degrees can be found on even some higher end scopes. Many are perfect but hell even a $7k Hensoldt scope was off half a degree while some far cheaper were perfect. If its more than a degree or two I personally would send it back. While its easily dealt with by scope rotation anything more than 2 degree IMO shows a lack of qc on that specific scope. Think of the precision in getting a scope to track properly and light to converge with these huge zoom ratios. They can not drill annd align a hole so that its less than a degree or two off ? A 500 scope ok a premium sorry not having it.

just installed my new scope/ring combo and am having issues getting everything leveled up correctely.
parts are 20 moa nightforce rail
nightforce atacr 5-25x56
Hawkins precision 34mm mediums
the action and scope are leveled together but for the life of me, I cant get my right cap level to be level with the other 2. what are the possible problems I may have in this issue?
Buy these tools and you will be set for life (when it comes to leveling scopes in picatinny rings)... It levels the scope in the rings before putting it on your rifle. That way you KNOW your scope is dead-level.

Had mine for years, it's pricey, but I've used to more times than I can count. You can even charge folks $20 to remove their scopes and get them perfectly level.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1008828942/badger-ordnance-dead-level-reticle-leveling-tool-matte

And this...

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/683085/starrett-scope-mounting-level

Wait a minute, you're leveling a scope to a base that's not on your gun..
Not a problem, nor benefit, as you can level a scope without this just the same.
And you're relying on scope caps to mean anything w/regard to crosshair or adjustments.. This is a problem.
Anybody in this business for a while knows that crosshairs are rarely plumb to adjustments, and/or screwed on caps/turrets. Just as they know '1/4moa' adjustments rarely click 0.262 IPHY.
These things have to be tested and defined for your scopes,, not assumed.

It sounds like unnecesary complexity to me...just use a plumb bob and align the vertical cross hair.
This is how I do it.

Cheers.
:confused:

If you use your crosshair for hold over it really is that simple.
If you dial in the field (like I do), then you could care less about the crosshair being plumb.
You'll care about your scope adjustment being plumb.

IMO there are 4 things that need to be done, 3 at the same time and 1 during shooting

1. Align the bore of the scope vertically with the bore of the barrel (take all the cant out)
2. Level the scope crosshairs while #1 still in effect
3. Install a ScopLevel or other level device while #1 & #2 in effect

and going forward

4. Use the level while shooting to continue to remove all the cant out of the rifle

For #1 I use an EXD Device from Brownells
zLjlHo5l.jpg

It is well made and checked out level with one of my carpenters levels
FwXTSvZl.jpg

You put your gun in a vise and the upper V fits over the scope barrel and the lower V fits over your barrel
mqC27bxl.jpg

While the gun is in the vise I aim it out my door to a 4' level about 30 yards out in the yard on a fence and use that to level the horizontal reticle during this process.

So the reticle is level and the EXD is level meaning that the gun has no cant, time to install the ScopLevel

The ScopLevel is nice cause you fold it down out of the way when not needed
p4qjuTVl.jpg

Sounds complicated but really not

Thanks for sharing this. Never thought about issues setting up one of the levels moulded into a ring cap. I find them less intriguing now for sure.

For me, it seems getting the dang scope level set right is the hardest part of installing a scope. No matter where it's mounted. LOL.

All good suggestions above.
I agree and

I agree and still have trouble no matter what I try. I wish there was a sure fire method to doing this.

Wait a minute, you're leveling a scope to a base that's not on your gun..
Not a problem, nor benefit, as you can level a scope without this just the same.
And you're relying on scope caps to mean anything w/regard to crosshair or adjustments.. This is a problem.
Anybody in this business for a while knows that crosshairs are rarely plumb to adjustments, and/or screwed on caps/turrets. Just as they know '1/4moa' adjustments rarely click 0.262 IPHY.
These things have to be tested and defined for your scopes,, not assumed.
I have tested all mine. They work just fine. :cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.