Ammo or Action Issue?

2buffalo

I have a brand new rifle in 28 Nosler built on a defiance anti action. Was planning on shooting it for the first time next week. I have a load being developed by someone but when I picked up the rifle my ffl had one box of Nosler trophy grade so I bought it to zero in my scope with.

I started feeding the ammo in just to see how it feeds in the action and about 1/3 of the rounds feed fine 1/3 the bolt opens and closes really hard and 1/3 I can't even close the bolt.

Has anyone had this issue? Seems to me it would be the ammo not the action since some of it feeds fine but just checking to see if anyone has had a similar issue.

Thanks.

When in doubt convey your concerns with the gunsmith that built the rifle. Not that we don't want to help, but we would be guessing at the best. Now with that said, it sounds like the chamber dimension is on the short side, shoulders need to be bumped further back, or the bullet ogive is hitting the lands. Like I said just guessing.

I planned on getting in touch with them before firing it but they aren't open until Monday. Was just fishing around to see if anyone had run into this. Thanks for your reply.

I had this problem when I had a few handloads where the CBTO was too long for my chamber. Since then, I purchased a Forster Datum Dial to ensure my CBTO is always the same and correct length. You could use a comparator to measure the factory loads to see if the reason some won't chamber is due to the extra length.

Sounds to me like it's set up for as close to zero headspace as your builder could get it and the ammo you're using is not having a consistent base to shoulder length, or your bullets are seated really long and somewhat randomly. I doubt it's the latter but the former is very easy to have happen. I had that kind of issue when an old shooting partner put some of my ammo in his gun. His gun had a much more generous headspace and I was running almost zero headspace and I had been neck sizing only. It took a lot of work and screwed up match scores to find all of the messed up brass. Eventually I just tossed all of that lot and got another lot, stopped shooting with that particular partner (for other reasons) and never had trouble again.

Agree with Rick, contact your builder. But if you have the tools to measure your base to shoulder datum and CBTO, you can find how much difference there is in that factory ammo and see which dimension is giving you grief. Give you something to do whilst you're waiting. Let us know what you find.

Last edited:
It maybe to tight for your dies also, I would pop a bullet out of one that won't chamber and make sure it won't chamber with a bullet and then see if you can get it sized down far enough to fit and make sure everything will be harmonious!!

Sounds to me like it's set up for as close to zero headspace as your builder could get it and the ammo you're using is not having a consistent base to shoulder length, or your bullets are seated really long and somewhat randomly. I doubt it's the latter but the former is very easy to have happen. I had that kind of issue when an old shooting partner put some of my ammo in his gun. His gun had a much more generous headspace and I was running almost zero headspace and I had been neck sizing only. It took a lot of work and screwed up match scores to find all of the messed up brass. Eventually I just tossed all of that lot and got another lot, stopped shooting with that particular partner (for other reasons) and never had trouble again.
Two different rifles unless from the same reamer are going to different. Even then with the same reamer there can be differences.

I had a similar problem with a rebarreled .270 and factory Nosler ammo. Most cartridges would chamber but a few would not. All lengths were OK. Turns out the brass at the necks was thicker on those rounds and would not fit into my tight spec'ed chamber. Nosler brass has broad tolerances.

I would check to see if the chamber is clean and the cones if there are two, bolt face too.

I'd guess ballisticsguy has it right although I had the same issue as roninco. Same manufacturer brass from one lot had necks too thick but from another were fine. Smith had to open the neck.

Is your chamber saami spec?

I have a brand new rifle in 28 Nosler built on a defiance anti action. Was planning on shooting it for the first time next week. I have a load being developed by someone but when I picked up the rifle my ffl had one box of Nosler trophy grade so I bought it to zero in my scope with.

I started feeding the ammo in just to see how it feeds in the action and about 1/3 of the rounds feed fine 1/3 the bolt opens and closes really hard and 1/3 I can't even close the bolt.

Has anyone had this issue? Seems to me it would be the ammo not the action since some of it feeds fine but just checking to see if anyone has had a similar issue.

Thanks.
There have been complaints about this with Nosler ammo. A friend even had the same issue with their creedmoor ammo. I think Fierce rifles (don't quote me on that though) even told customers having issues not to worry about sending 28 noslers back until they tried another brand of ammo. I've heard this several times on various fb pages and even here as well. I think this has been going on a couple of years. If the bolt closes snug put not hard I would send it.

Yes it was chambered to SAAMI spec. After reading all these replies it makes sense to me that it is a combo of a tight chamber and Nosler brass inconsistencies. I was told by someone else when I was trying to find brass for the rifle that Nosler uses several different companies for brass and it is inconsistent for reloading. Not sure if it is true but that is what I was told.

Recent Posts