Is this the right next step?

Depends upon what Clem plans on doing with his rifle.
For punching holes in paper, or even shooting at rocks, how he goes about it is one thing.
But if he plans on hunting l/r, he needs to work on getting lead in the air asap, and make corrections on the fly, or it could be all over before it even starts.

Clem,
How do you verify your reticle is plumb while shooting? I also use a plumb line to get it mounted, but like everything we do, it has to be verified on paper.
Tracking and box tests are used for tracking. Tall target tests can verify tracking, but primarily verify cant of the scope is gone.
Please take your rifle out and verify cant with a tall target test so you can see what I mean by experience.

Btw, like your signature line.
Very easily. My rifle is leveled and I have a level on my rifle to validate that. With the rifle level I then set my scope's verticle reticle to the plumb bob. So everything is perfectly in line with gravity. When shooting, if my rifle's level bubble is centered then my reticles are also correct. This aspect does not need to be verified by shooting paper.
But I will just to satisfy you guys. But it won't be done until next year. I have some hunting to do then I'm going to Tex for Christmas and FL for winter.

Last edited:
Very easily. My rifle is leveled and I have a level on my rifle to validate that. With the rifle level I then set my scope's verticle reticle to the plumb bob. So everything is perfectly in line with gravity. When shooting, if my rifle's level bubble is centered then my reticles are also correct. This aspect does not need to be verified by shooting paper.
But I will just to satisfy you guys. But it won't be done until next year. I have some hunting to do then I'm going to Tex for Christmas and FL for winter.
It really does need to be verified on paper if you shoot long range. I'm sure it is close, just like mine are close, but I've seen a couple clicks off at 10mil with my setups. Safe travels.

It really does need to be verified on paper if you shoot long range. I'm sure it is close, just like mine are close, but I've seen a couple clicks off at 10mil with my setups. Safe travels.
My final elevation adjustments will be done on paper. Rock shooting will get me close. Scope cant will have nothing to do with that IMO because that has all been checked to be exact with gravity. If my rifle is level and my reticles are level/perpendicular to gravity then there should be no reason that I wouldn't be exactly following up the line. The amount of actual adjustment my scope moves per click which is what the tall target test is designed to do (http://appliedballisticsllc.com/Articles/TallTarget.pdf) is of no consequence. The amount of adjustment needed for will be validated by my individual load/rifle.
You're obviously missing what I'm trying to say. I will be shooting at rocks because I don't have the luxury of those distances over flat terrain. Once I am close and record my required elevations on my dope sheet, I will fine tune it on paper later on. Now it really doesn't matter how many clicks my scope requires to move 20, 30 or more MOA. MY LOAD and RIFLE combo will dictate how many clicks I have to adjust my scope to. My dope sheet will be set for MY self imposed maximum yardage and I will know how much to move my scope.

Last edited:
When you get to FL. Contact me Clem, maybe we can hook up and do some fishing and L/R b s ing.

My final elevation adjustments will be done on paper. Rock shooting will get me close. Scope cant will have nothing to do with that IMO because that has all been checked to be exact with gravity. If my rifle is level and my reticles are level/perpendicular to gravity then there should be no reason that I wouldn't be exactly following up the line. The amount of actual adjustment my scope moves per click which is what the tall target test is designed to do (http://appliedballisticsllc.com/Articles/TallTarget.pdf) is of no consequence. The amount of adjustment needed for will be validated by my individual load/rifle.
There is a lot of error in little levels and the places you put them on the rifle. It looks right when your mounting it, but I guarantee you that 99% of the time you will be canted. Leveling on a bench is NOT removing all the cant. You are hard headed :) Do your thing and I will pray for you as my 5th response :)

Not when your "little" level is validated with a bigger level before mounting the scope. And I'm not hard headed. On the other hand you seem to think I'm a total idiot. I'm not. Everything I do is checked and double checked for correctness. The odds of 2 levels being incorrect would be pretty high.

Not when your "little" level is validated with a bigger level before mounting the scope. And I'm not hard headed. On the other hand you seem to think I'm a total idiot. I'm not. Everything I do is checked and double checked for correctness. The odds of 2 levels being incorrect would be pretty high.
Like I tell me wife, "I never said that" :) Good luck to you

Ok I usually stay in my lane but here is my take if you are off 1/64 inch in a 2" level (you can't see that in a bubble) so every 2" that number doubles so do the math see where you are at a 1000 that is all they are saying
Stop trying to be helpful and stay in your lane :)

OK when I get a chance I'll do it just for both our satisfaction one way or the other.
But it likely won't be until the spring with all the traveling I'll be doing and hunting and holidays. I spend my winters in FL snowbirding.

Last edited:
Ive been L/R hunting for about 50 years in the area of the country where it began. I can take you to many different camps within a few miles of ours where all they do is hunt L/R including names well known here. You wont be finding any scope levels and i doubt very much any wind meters either. What you will find is that (all) of them shoot from a bench of some type, and some myself included might use a small level when setting it up. Misses can be expected when shooting at an animal L/R especially where there are lots of trees having lots of branches. Problem with reading these post is that they are much to do about theory and little to do with actually doing it. Anybody who cant tell wether their reticle is canted or not maybe shouldn't be shooting that far.
We use a return to battery rest for our guns, which means you cant adjust the cant angle, so a level bench is more important for us. We sometimes just use a bipod also on the bench depending on the gun we use.
But otherwise a shooter should be able to straighten it out without a gadget attached to his scope he wont have time to look at anyway once the action starts.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.