Is this the right next step?

Clem Bronkoski

OK I've done all the testing and found what I believe to be my best load for my 6.5CM. Scope is all sighted in at 200 yards and I've run the ballistics through a calculator to get me close. My gun range only goes out to 300 yards. But I have a stripping pit that is about 1000+ yards. There are plenty of odd colored rocks to shoot at at various distances and I have a good range finder.
What I was planning on was picking some of these distant rocks out and using the cheat sheet from the calculator to get me close, record what my true scope setting would be at that particular distance.

If you have a great load, my next step would be a tall target test. Then dope after that

OK I've done all the testing and found what I believe to be my best load for my 6.5CM. Scope is all sighted in at 200 yards and I've run the ballistics through a calculator to get me close. My gun range only goes out to 300 yards. But I have a stripping pit that is about 1000+ yards. There are plenty of odd colored rocks to shoot at at various distances and I have a good range finder.
What I was planning on was picking some of these distant rocks out and using the cheat sheet from the calculator to get me close, record what my true scope setting would be at that particular distance.
I am not sure I would use rocks to confirm drops. First you'd need a hard etching in that rock to verify exactly where it hit, plus you have no set aimpoint. Shooting into dirt gravel, etc... IMO can be iffy, just from fly rock-dirt, dust signature.
I'd buy or bring a steel or wood-paper target with a dot for aiming, leap frog it down the range as you go.

So will shooting at rocks do all that. And it will confirm your chart numbers. And it's more fun and better practice.
Not to mention it builds confidence in ones ability in using the scope more so than punching holes in paper.
Who cares anyway if the scope doesn't track exactly perfect.
Thats what charts are for, to confirm what that gun with that load and that scope will do at that distance.
And don't count on it being exactly the same next time.

I already did that without wasting any ammo. I had leveled my rifle up and the used a plumb bob to ensure my crosshairs were level to the rifle. Same effect.
Definitely different. I start with a plumb line and levels but finalize with tall target test

So will shooting at rocks do all that. And it will confirm your chart numbers. And it's more fun and better practice.
Not to mention it builds confidence in ones ability in using the scope more so than punching holes in paper.
Who cares anyway if the scope doesn't track exactly perfect.
Thats what charts are for, to confirm what that gun with that load and that scope will do at that distance.
And don't count on it being exactly the same next time.
I have no problem using rocks as long as I know where my poi is in reference to my poa. Video or a spotter is a must imo

Well the poa would of coarse be the rock. lol
And hopefully the poi would be the rock also.
Not just any rock, it has to be the actual poa rock.
But then one never really knows until one finds out.
And the best way to do that imop at least,
would be to go shoot at a rock.
Thats the best way we can get to really know the poa and the poi.
At least for that shot at that particular rock. Lol

Even more fun would be to ace the rangefinder and just guess the distance to the rock. Then hit the rock with the second shot and count the number of clicks it took.
Hey, life didn't start with laser rangefinders and computer programs, and there's no better way to learn how to use a scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.