Is this the right next step?

Yobuck I sort of like your answer. And after looking at the videos on the "tall target test" I still feel it is a waste of time and ammo. Sure you shoot at 100 yards, verify zero then crank your scope up 30 MOA or whatever, shoot another group and measure to see if your scope actually moved up 30 MOA. Who cares?! Its your rifle, load and scope. You set up YOUR dope sheet on that combo. If my rig requires a 30 MOA elevation setting at XXX yards then that's what I set the scope to. Same for any other yardage I plan on shooting. If my dope sheet is set for every 25 yards (past 300) I will have all the confidence in the world taking a shot. I say past 300 because being sighted in at 200, 300 yards is still a chip shot with very little holdover necessary.

You do NOT need to shoot to do a tall target or box test. It can be done with firing a shot and should be done. Since you have confidence you have found your load and can't get targets set up long range your rocks will be fine but you do really need to video hits for a more positive verification. I would also verify on different days. It would be better to try to set paper up at longer ranges but the rocks are better than nothing and will help get your data and build confidence in your setup.

Do you understand the tall target test is primarily showing you scope tracks up without cant? I didn't see you mention that.

Do you understand the tall target test is primarily showing you scope tracks up without cant? I didn't see you mention that.

It is nice to see that while doing a tall target test the true purpose of a tall target test, however, is to ensure your scope dialing is actually giving you what each click is supposed to give you. Wether or not you have the scope mounted correctly can be tested during this as you are suggesting but that is not really the intent. It is to see that when you dial 20MOA, 30MOA etc you actually get 20MOA,30MOA etc.

This is all i am going to say about all this. Long range is all about being as precise as possible with every variable in the entire weapon system. This includes the rifle, ammo, scope, supporting equipment, and the nut on the trigger, taking shortcuts with any of these variables will result in substandard performance of the whole system unless there is a lot of luck involved, and any success achieved will be fleeting and unrepeatable. At least it has been that way for me.

It is nice to see that while doing a tall target test the true purpose of a tall target test, however, is to ensure your scope dialing is actually giving you what each click is supposed to give you. Wether or not you have the scope mounted correctly can be tested during this as you are suggesting but that is not really the intent. It is to see that when you dial 20MOA, 30MOA etc you actually get 20MOA,30MOA etc.
My post was referring to Clem above. Tracking is great to verify, but I was pointing out to the OP the scope needs to be verified parallel with gravity and perpendicular to the ground.

This is all i am going to say about all this. Long range is all about being as precise as possible with every variable in the entire weapon system. This includes the rifle, ammo, scope, supporting equipment, and the nut on the trigger, taking shortcuts with any of these variables will result in substandard performance of the whole system unless there is a lot of luck involved, and any success achieved will be fleeting and unrepeatable. At least it has been that way for me.
rfurman24 is right. I'm new here but apparently some on here do not know what the tall target test is for. I watched the videos on it. It is only for validating scope adjustment (how much it actually moves per click). The scope on my rig was set up by ensuring the rifle was level and the reticle was then adjusted for level with a plumb bob (AKA gravity) at 25 yards. Having a dope sheet will do exactly the same thing as doing all the calculations required from a tall target test. Example: If at XXX yards a ballistic chart says I have to go up 26 MOA but my dope sheet says I need 28 MOA, I'm going to be dialing up 28 MOA regardless what the chart says. You would do the same thing with the tall target test if your scope moved slightly less than 1/4 MOA per click (or whatever your adjustment per click is).
As for shooting at rocks. I'm not going to be shooting at huge rocks but ones about 6" or so in size. You guys are getting all hung up on this. I'm not stupid enough to not validate my dope sheet by shooting at paper later on. I don't have the luxury of a long flat range. I would be shooting across a man made canyon and in order for me to set targets at distant ranges it would require me to do a lot of hiking down one side and up another. At my age and with my knees it would take me most of the day just to carry and set targets at various ranges let alone move them every 25 or 50 yards.

Clem,
How do you verify your reticle is plumb while shooting? I also use a plumb line to get it mounted, but like everything we do, it has to be verified on paper.
Tracking and box tests are used for tracking. Tall target tests can verify tracking, but primarily verify cant of the scope is gone.
Please take your rifle out and verify cant with a tall target test so you can see what I mean by experience.

Btw, like your signature line.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts