Is there any other rifle in the .338 caliber that can compete with .338 Lapua?

You truly don't need a cannon to shoot effectively at those distances. That's 308Win territory.

A 6.5 Creedmoor would be an excellent chambering for what you're doing.

But, sounds like you are really wanting to shoot something bigger than Dad, so don't let any of this dissuade you.....grin

You and mud beat me to it!

There are so many smaller chamberings that do great inside 1000yds. Pay less, and shoot more. Thats where the biggest improvement will come from.

My dad owns a Savage 110 BA .338 Lapua. Me and my dad target shoot long range evey weekend. I always try to out shoot him. I don't want to own the same rifle as him. Is there any other .338 caliber rifle that can out shoot his Lapua?
the 338-378 will have higher velocities as will 338rum but I don't think its enough to give any advantages over the lapua all three are very capable long range shooters

must of had her running pretty hot

If my memory is good the .338 RUM will never ever give you more MV than the .338 LM (loaded to their max). This is the main reason the .338 EDGE exists. The .300 RUM case has greater powder capacity than the .338 RUM and as far as I recall the .338 EDGE goes shoulder to shoulder with the .338 LM it really depends on the gun to determine which one has more MV

If my memory is good the .338 RUM will never ever give you more MV than the .338 LM (loaded to their max). This is the main reason the .338 EDGE exists. The .300 RUM case has greater powder capacity than the .338 RUM and as far as I recall the .338 EDGE goes shoulder to shoulder with the .338 LM it really depends on the gun to determine which one has more MV

This is correct. The 338/ 300 RUM know as the .338 EDGE and the standard 338 Lapua will run hand in hand for velocities and even share almost identical load data. With 300 gr bullets expect right around 2800 fps from both with a 28" tube. 2830 to 2850 with 30" tubes.

The 338 RUM will be in the 2700 to 2750 range with the same 300 gr bullet.

The 338 Lapua AI you can expect 2950 to 2970 with a 28" and 3000 with a 30" tube with the same 300 gr bullet.

There are some new powders being tested that may produce velocities greater than what I just posted. But I would expect these gains to be equal or close to equal among all of the mentioned chamberings.

Gohring3006, no sir I was not running the Lapua's hot. I have built and worked with many of each. Plus I have good chronographs. What I posted is reality not hearsay.

Jeff

I thought bullet length and design constituted bc, 6.5 bullets vs 30 cal? Bullets weighing considerably less with higher bc.

SIMILARILY SHAPED. The 230 Hybrid will smoke any 6.5 cal.

With Lapua vs. RUM, the two are the same given the same pressure but the Lapua can handle more pressure ... thus more velocity.

If you and your father shoot the same bullet at the same distance out of guns with the same accuracy and es/sd, except your bullet has 250 fps more, what have you gained?

.1 moa of wind drift, maybe?

It takes a lot more than some extra speed to get a leg up on a good shooter.

If you and your father shoot the same bullet at the same distance out of guns with the same accuracy and es/sd, except your bullet has 250 fps more, what have you gained?

.1 moa of wind drift, maybe?

It takes a lot more than some extra speed to get a leg up on a good shooter.
I personally think you have a point I think no equipment will out shoot experience I would say pops would outshoot him with a slingshot I'm not knocking him he can probably out shoot me but I tried to out do my pops in everything and he left me disappointed everytime I wish he was still here

My dad owns a Savage 110 BA .338 Lapua. Me and my dad target shoot long range evey weekend. I always try to out shoot him. I don't want to own the same rifle as him. Is there any other .338 caliber rifle that can out shoot his Lapua?

.340 Wby will do anything a Lapua will do and for a lot less cost. Ballistically they are virtually the same, but one chambers on the shoulder(LM) and one on the belt (Wby). Some people don't like belts, but if they say they are in accurate, they simply don't know what they are talking about. I have killed elk with single (as with any caliber) well placed shots out to 500yds and know a former Army Sniper that hunts with one and will not shoot if they are closer than 800 as he feels it isn't sporting. A buddy of his has said he has seen him drop elk at 1000 and greater with perfect heart/lung shots (and even head shots on occasion). Mine will shoot 3/4" @100yds with me shooting it and I have seen the gunsmith that built it shoot a 1/2" group at 200yds. As someone mentioned, if you want a .338 with all the horsepower, .338/.378 WBY or the Lazzeroni Titan are the choices. You would do well with any of these.

HighTech Shadow Custom .340 Swarovski 4-12x50BR

Why not just build a .300 Ackley Magnum (based off the .300 Wby), and be done with it? It uses .300 Wby brass to form it, and has been used in the 1K benchrest circuit for years, and held the 1K BR record for a long time. It's a proven cartridge.

Just simply my opinion.

my opinion would be get another 338 lapua that is as accurate as your dads then the only variable would be skill that would be the best way to out shoot him in my opinion you guys have fun. Plus you can save on reloading supplies you have to purchase new dies

Good points all. You could just shoot the same rifle and then there is no question as to who is the best marksman. Only time and practice will affect the outcomes and they may never change. Far more importantly and the Bottom line is: you guys have fun together and a great relationship. Kudos to you on that! Enjoy it, it is very admirable!

The .338 is abeast but I like the .300 H & H and .300 Win Mag..They shoot just fine to 500 yards.. I am not a long range shooter like all of you posted but I do enjoy shooting out there... I surely appreciate all the knowledge out there.. It is very interesting info..THX:)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.