Is there any other rifle in the .338 caliber that can compete with .338 Lapua?

Out of curiosity what ranges are you shooting against your dad?

We shoot anywhere from 100 to 725 yards. Our shooting bench is stationary. It is built into the ground. If we were to back up behind it an shoot laying down or on a portable bench we could shoot out to 925 yards.

We shoot anywhere from 100 to 725 yards. Our shooting bench is stationary. It is built into the ground. If we were to back up behind it an shoot laying down or on a portable bench we could shoot out to 925 yards.

The 338Edge will run with the 338LM but if you are only shooting up to 925 yards I would honestly look no further than a 7mmWSM, or even one of the other 7mm short mags (belt less). The 7mmWSM shooting high BC bullets stays supersonic up to around 1400 yards plus.

There is a couple of advantages to using something like a 7mm short mag. You only get good at shooting longrange by practicing and you can get a rifles with top shelf components a lot cheaper, quality components for quality 7mm longrange ammo is under half the price of ammo for the .338LM you will be able to put more ammo downrange with the 7mm and get good compared to a .338LM and the 7mm is much easier to shoot accurately compared to the 338LM and shooting the 7mm is not as taxing as the 338LM. If you were shooting 1500 yards plus I would look at something like the 338LM or 338Edge but for under 1500 yards it's NOT NEEDED. All things being equal the 7mm (short mag) is easier to tune and get shooting good compared to a 338LM.

Just look at how many records 7mm's hold for 1000 yards, 1000 meters (1100 yards) compared to the bigger stuff like the .338LM. I use to do a lot of shooting up to 1000meters (F Class Standard and F Class Open) and I use a .308 (for standard) and a .260Rem (for open) and it's the smaller caliber (6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm) that always win the comps.

Last edited:
No offense guys but if your shooting inside of 1000 yards your wasting a LOT of powder and leadlightbulb My 6.5-284 and 7mmRM will more than get it done inside of 1000 and outdo the 338 Edge for groups.........Past 1300 yards the Edge starts winning:D

Is the wind going to be a factor when choosing a 7mm vs a 30 or 338?

All things being equal, do the larger bullets drift less?

Bigger bullets don't always drift less, but weight boosts B.C so the heavies tend to buck better than a similarly shaped bullets.

Mach V hit the nail on the head. unless shooting elk or moose or going past 1200 yards, there is no need to break into the .338s. I have one as my main hunting rifle but I couldn't afford to feed it for fun shoots.

A medium fast 7 will get you there ALOT cheaper with little to no different in exterior ballistics, except maybe less drop. less recoil will be a big bonus. I bet a win Coyote Lite in .270 wsm or 7 WSM or a Senduro in 7 rem or STW would have your Dad thinking twice about burning all that powder.

The .338's are still king of the ring, its just that 1000 yard paper isn't a championship bout.

I read an article that showed no real discernible difference between the 300 Norma shooting 230 Bergers against the 338 Lapua shooting 300 SMK's, out to 1 mile, with the 300 Norma being flatter past 1000 and I believe almost the same at a mile. The Norma having 2 brass solutions with Norma brass and a shorter OAL make it seem like a great build. I believe 26" barrel was enough too. It will be interesting to see if this cartridge develops? Getting 230 Bergers will be harder than 300 SMK's though it seems.

I had a 338 snipetac. It'll compete with it, actually the Lapua can't compete with it:rolleyes:

A 338 Allen mag will kick it's butt also.

Bigger bullets don't always drift less, but weight boosts B.C so the heavies tend to buck better than a similarly shaped bullets.

The .338's are still king of the ring, its just that 1000 yard paper isn't a championship bout.

I thought bullet length and design constituted bc, 6.5 bullets vs 30 cal? Bullets weighing considerably less with higher bc.

You truly don't need a cannon to shoot effectively at those distances. That's 308Win territory.

A 6.5 Creedmoor would be an excellent chambering for what you're doing.

But, sounds like you are really wanting to shoot something bigger than Dad, so don't let any of this dissuade you.....grin

Everyone will try to sell you on the fancy new huge-bore calibers and all that crap, but the truth (and fact) still remains that inside of 1000 yards, that an accurate .308 Win rifle, with precision handloads, and a heavy 24-26" barrel and high BC bullets, is more than enough rifle. It might not be the fastest caliber out there, but it certainly is arguable that it is one of the most efficent, reliable, and accurate calibers still in existance today. If it wasn't, it would have mostly died out a long time ago.

You truly don't need a cannon to shoot effectively at those distances. That's 308Win territory.

A 6.5 Creedmoor would be an excellent chambering for what you're doing.

But, sounds like you are really wanting to shoot something bigger than Dad, so don't let any of this dissuade you.....grin

I see we were on the same page there... I just now saw your post. LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.