Is there any benefit to the WSM over regular belted mags?

I have both a 300 weatherby and a 300 wsm. Do not believe that the wsm kicks less than a 300 winchester magnum. The laws of physics being unbreakable state that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. If both cartridges are shooting the same weight bullet the only difference in the recoil would be attributed to less powder being ejected from the bore. The weight of the powder combined with the bullet (ejecta)is what has to be equalized in the recoil.

For long range shooting I think the weatherby has a definite supperiority advantage over the wsm although both of my rifles are super accurate.

I have not had any trouble with the weatherby freebore, it allows you to seat a heavier bullets base at the bottom of the neck so it does not infringe upon the powder capacity. Also freebore is defined as a longer than normal neck.

I have both rifles set up for different situations. The wsm is for woods hunting where there are a lot of openings that will allow for long shots but I still have a rifle that is quick to put into action, it is a browning stalker witha Burris 3-12 x 50mm scope. My Weatherby is a customized Accumark with a Leupold 4.5-14 x 50mm.

Barry

Figure out what is most important. You will getsome disagreement with this but you do not see the super large capacity cases in the winner circle at 1000 yard very often if ever. In strictly accuracy work there is a point of diminishing returns and a point where getting competitive guns in a large case is too difficult it seems. go to the hawks ridge and www.virgina1000yd.com and look at the calibers used. You will find the 300 win mag, 300 AI, 300 weatherby and 300WSM and 308 Baer as the largest. The win mag likes 200-220, WSM 190-210, 300 AI likes 200-220 and 300 Weatherby seems to go 210-240s, 308 Baer seems to be 220-240. You will find another 4-6 cartridges based off the weatherby. Now you will always find a gun that likes out of that range, but not as a general rule. If you want to have competitive 1000 yard gun go with the tight neck .334-.336 Weatherby and leave the large cases alone. Less work on case making, quality cases, easy to load. Unless you are super experienced in the wildcat arena best way to go. Now you will have others disagree, but make up your own mind after you check for winning calibers.
Good luck

BountyHunter,I beg to differ alittle.If you look at the year end result's at willimsport.The guy that won every catagory but one,and set a few world record's along the way was shooting a VERY BIG case.I believe it was a 30 cal based on a 404....

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.