Any benefit to rechamber 10" twist .270 to the Sherman?

RevJim

How much, if any, benefit would I get if I have my factory ( Mark X 24"bbl) .270 rechambered to the .270 Sherman? Lets say I have no interest in heavier than Nosler 160PT too. I can already get close to 3000fps with 160/R26 and 150/R23, will I gain enough to off set the cost of custom loading dies? OR does it make more sense to just "rebarreling" to a 26" bbl with a faster twist? I'm just curious at this point...thanks. I need to stress the fact that I am not a LRH either, have shot a few head at 345-375yds. I usually just zero +2" @100 and "hold up" at 350+.

How much, if any, benefit would I get if I have my factory ( Mark X 24"bbl) .270 rechambered to the .270 Sherman? Lets say I have no interest in heavier than Nosler 160PT too. I can already get close to 3000fps with 160/R26 and 150/R23, will I gain enough to off set the cost of custom loading dies? OR does it make more sense to just "rebarreling" to a 26" bbl with a faster twist? I'm just curious at this point...thanks. I need to stress the fact that I am not a LRH either, have shot a few head at 345-375yds. I usually just zero +2" @100 and "hold up" at 350+.
it should gain you 100'+

Thank you sir, its an option I can consider anyhow. I have another question for you Mr Rich...with the current information on it, how well do you think the 6.5 RPM from Wby will compare to your 6.5 Sherman?

Thank you sir, its an option I can consider anyhow. I have another question for you Mr Rich...with the current information on it, how well do you think the 6.5 RPM from Wby will compare to your 6.5 Sherman?
If there velocities advertised are accurate, its at least 150' slower

Well wow! ha Can I assume you meant the Sherman is faster? I have been drooling over the 6.5 RPM ( although really just waiting until its chambered in the Vanguard :) ) So, IYO is the 6.5 or .270 "Sherman" worth it for a guy who wouldn't shoot anything over a 120-140 in a 6.5 or 160 ( would probably use a 150) in the .270? Say I want to "point and shoot" out to 400, would I have to zero higher than +2@100? Thank you again for the help, I know you are used to helping LRH, but to me, gosh, 400yds on game is a stretch! I guess I should say that I am looking for either one, with those bullet weights, that helps me fight the wind with a simple "hold off", like the "windward edge" of the kill zone? :)

Last edited:
Well wow! ha Can I assume you meant the Sherman is faster? I have been drooling over the 6.5 RPM ( although really just waiting until its chambered in the Vanguard :) ) So, IYO is the 6.5 or .270 "Sherman" worth it for a guy who wouldn't shoot anything over a 120-140 in a 6.5 or 160 ( would probably use a 150) in the .270? Say I want to "point and shoot" out to 400, would I have to zero higher than +2@100? Thank you again for the help, I know you are used to helping LRH, but to me, gosh, 400yds on game is a stretch! I guess I should say that I am looking for either one, with those bullet weights, that helps me fight the wind with a simple "hold off", like the "windward edge" of the kill zone? :)
For a deer sized target:
zero at 200 yards. 14" low at 400 with a 140 in the 6.5

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts