Is The 5.5~22 Nightforce my only choice?

I have looked through the Razor, I felt it was a nice scope and I love the fact it has the added MOA of elevation. But all that was drown out quickly by the fact it was a FFP. No interest in a FFP for this guy at all.

Thanks
Jeff

Just curious, have you looked through the Razor. It is noticeably better glass than anything else Vortex has including the PST's. Just wondering. I would say the Razor is on par or a touch better than NF but not enough to say for sure as individual scopes and eyes will likely make the difference.

Regardless of that the Razor is FFP and Jeff wants SFP.

Scot E.

Scot,
No, you're quite right. We haven't tested a Razor. I typed that reply late last night and I should have read what supercrossbmx69 said properly!
The other Vortex models we've tested have looked good in good light, but their low light performance, especially glare into a low angle sun really let them down. We notice this a lot in "relatively new manufacturer" scopes. Its as if stray light issues take a lot of experience to overcome or something. We just finished testing the Eliminator III which I though stacked up really good until the low angle sun test - whiteout!
Anyway, I'll chase our Vortex agent now to get a Razor to test asap!
The only FFP scope I'd have is one like the March with the tapered reticle that doesn't get any fatter as you zoom in. Very clever idea.
Greg

Scot,
No, you're quite right. We haven't tested a Razor. I typed that reply late last night and I should have read what supercrossbmx69 said properly!
The other Vortex models we've tested have looked good in good light, but their low light performance, especially glare into a low angle sun really let them down. We notice this a lot in "relatively new manufacturer" scopes. Its as if stray light issues take a lot of experience to overcome or something. We just finished testing the Eliminator III which I though stacked up really good until the low angle sun test - whiteout!
Anyway, I'll chase our Vortex agent now to get a Razor to test asap!
The only FFP scope I'd have is one like the March with the tapered reticle that doesn't get any fatter as you zoom in. Very clever idea.
Greg

Please post how it rates for you. I think you will be impressed overall and especially with the difference in glass. I always enjoy reading info from gents that have the opportunity to compare many scopes.

Scot E.

Bros I went down this same rabbit hole you did recently Plain fact is to get want you want without going with the NXS you'd have to do US Optics. But that is well beyond your and my price range. Until they come up with a NP type reticle on the ATACR or I can afford Us Optics I am "stuck" with the NSX.

Made In Orofino Idaho, big cross canyon shooting country. Been there alot, worked there on the Big Dworshak Dam. If they work there in the dark wet forests and foggy fall:D country, they will work anywhere. I will enjoy it out here these days in NE Montana also. I've used them and will have one on my LRKM when it comes also from Shawn this summer.

My fear is I don't have the buget to experiment so my mind is pretty much made up I think,, unless I see something that really blows me away.

Jeff
I'm living that one myself. About the time I think I've got it I don't. I like your criteria, but it would sure be nice if there was a place we could go to side by side these top end scopes.
Even if the rare lemon is fixed it just takes the joy out such a purchase.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.