Distance choice

shooter72

I have a new but really nice dilemma. My new shooting spot I can shoot some really crazy distances (for PA) I am currently playing with a crazy good shooting 300WSM. My bullet goes subsonic at 1740 yards. When shooting for practice and making cold bore judgments should I stay at that distance or stretch it out as long as I can. I can shoot 2500 but not sure with this rifle that the extra distance is worth it since it's subsonic. or am I just over thinking the whole deal???
gun)

I have a new but really nice dilemma. My new shooting spot I can shoot some really crazy distances (for PA) I am currently playing with a crazy good shooting 300WSM. My bullet goes subsonic at 1740 yards. When shooting for practice and making cold bore judgments should I stay at that distance or stretch it out as long as I can. I can shoot 2500 but not sure with this rifle that the extra distance is worth it since it's subsonic. or am I just over thinking the whole deal???
gun)

Im not sure what your asking?

You basically are saying you can shoot 2500, but dont know if you want to or not?

Id say that depending on your bullet, shooting 2500 is pointless. In all honesty, you probably wont have enough elevation in your scope to make 2000 unless you have a Razor HD Gen II which are a freak when it comes to elevation range.

Really, you should shoot as far as you can. Thats the best way to get better. Practice and practice, but push your limits.

You say you reach 1700 before you hit transonic range, but remember that some bullets behave awkwardly when they hit transonic barrier. Others do OKAY, but they are designed that way.

I actually sold my Razor Gen II for my ATACR enhanced. so I have plenty of adjustment with my 25MOA rings and all.
My question is should I take this gun past the point where the bullet goes transonic since it starts being weird. should I stay at 1700ish and practice or is the transition of the bullet going transonic not worth limiting the distance.

I take the big guns out to 2500 since there is no bullet issues even at that distance.

shoooter72,
Take it as far as it will allow. See how various bullets and loads behave and group on out there. You'll never know till you try and the practice will make you a better rifleman.
I have access to a little over 1800yds and I have shot to 1600yds, last summer. I was trying for the mile shot before deer season, but never made it. I did really good at 1500yds (10" group) with my 6.5-284Norma and 140gn A-Max's. I'm using ELD-M's in both my .300WinMag and 6.5-284Norma this year so I'm optomistic. The 1600yd effort was quiet humbling. The wind tore me up!
There's no way I ever figured I could shoot that far and that good. You gotta try! There's a 18yr old guy on this forum (under ELR) that built his own rifle (.300WinMag) and was shooting out to 2000yds w/215gn Bergers SUCCESSFULLY! That, I guess, is what motivated me to try it.
My shooting buddy uses the .308Win and for the longest time (before we started shooting together) had a nice (protected from wind) 700yd range. I tell you he was pinpoint from 0-700yds. I talked him in to moving out to the windy range with me for "real world" conditions (read as WIND!) :) He had lots of doubts about the range of the .308 and dialing for wind. Throughout last summer though he got better and better with the wind and farther and farther. He did get one 6" group at 1400yds with his .308Win. Stock Savage rifle with a 10X SWFA (SuperSniper) and the military, 168gn sniper ammo? Not sure of nomenclature. Lots of guys told he and I that the .308Winchester would not shoot that far accurately. Not sure where his bullet is at in the "sonic" realm but it behaves nicely.
All this to say again, GO FOR IT! Keep us posted! JohnnyK.

S72, light her up and let her flicker , you'll know when she's out of gas ! Wish I was there spotting for you !!!. Johnnyk,Ausome post ,Frickin Ausome!!! ,regards jjmp

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.