How Could We Improve the NEW A.T.A.C.R. From Nightforce

As I lay prone today waiting for a coyote to hold still or stop. Last range was 1761 yards. With my 5.5x22x56 NXS on 22x and holding the NP-R1 (.062) thick reticle on him. I realized people that would be in favor of a thicker reticle must have never attempted a shot like this. Or even sighted much on anything smaller than a VW bus at a mile. Nor would these type of shooters need 120 MOA. I will be trying a new ATACR, but I fear the MOAR (.140) reticle will cover up everything the extra 20 MOA of elevation and the 3X added power has brought to the table.

Jeff

As I lay prone today waiting for a coyote to hold still or stop. Last range was 1761 yards. With my 5.5x22x56 NXS on 22x and holding the NP-R1 (.062) thick reticle on him. I realized people that would be in favor of a thicker reticle must have never attempted a shot like this. Or even sighted much on anything smaller than a VW bus at a mile. Nor would these type of shooters need 120 MOA. I will be trying a new ATACR, but I fear the MOAR (.140) reticle will cover up everything the extra 20 MOA of elevation and the 3X added power has brought to the table.

Jeff
Did ya get him? :D

Last edited:
I would have been more than happy if they would have just put better glass in my 5.5x22-50mm , changed the illumination so it was adjustable from the parallax knob, and I will continue to use the NP-R1 reticle. Keep the tube diameter at 30 mm as well.
-Better glass
-Easier to adjust illumination
- Slight increase in price due to better glass
I am not interested in strapping a bigger, heavier scope on my hunting rifle

Good real world example. I'm not to the ELR league, so it gives a bit of perspective on what I did not completely understand before. Thanks

Would they have been aligned had it been a wolf?:D

I doubt it on a moving target. You just cant keep ranging and re-dialing fast enough if they don't sit down, or find something to keep them there for a couple minutes. Centering up on a dog for this shot is tough. A moving hit would promote me to dash to town for a lottery ticket.:)

Jeff

I'm really excited about it. I dont care for most of the features of the beast especially the price tag. I am hearing whispers the the glass in the Beast is the best there is, well see.

So maybe charge us another 200 bucks for the same glass as the beast. I also like to 60 MOA per turn, would be handy to have but I dont like that lever. So maybe give us 45 MOA per turn. If you are into ELR Zero you rifle at say 300-500 yards and 45 MOA in one turn should get you pretty far out there.

Edit the MIL-R redicle looks to have a cross hair thickness of .12 MOA. So I have to agree something smaller. Actually I like the idea of a small dot. Say .o8 MOA with the rest of the cross hair starting .5 MOA away from the aiming point.

My.02.
Firstly, just reiterating we are talking ELR here, beyond 1000 yards. I have no need for an illuminated scope for ELR. When it gets that dark I might think about reticle illumination I'll be struggling to see the animal clearly through any reasonable optics anyway, and I'm not interested in shooting. Even at a gong or a rock, I need to be able to see the bullet trace and where the bullet hits. When it gets to the point you can't see even the thinnest reticle, it is too dark for ELR in my opinion. I have tested many scopes with illuminated reticles in field conditions, and have pretty much decided for me anyway I have no use for them. At any range, the issue is the contrast between a bright reticle and a dark image of your animal/target. I have found that as it gets darker, the target and the reticle get harder to see together, and if you then illuminate the reticle even slightly, it makes the animal even harder to see due to the changing contrast. Your eye cannot handle both the bright reticle and still try and define the dark target. Maybe with the very finest reticle like March's MTR-1, a very small amount of illumination may be usable. To illustrate this, my son and I have just come back from a wilderness hunting trip where he shot a Red stag right on dark. It was only 450 yards away, but when I set the rifle up, I could only just distinguish the stag through the scope, and also only just distinguish the MTR-1 reticle. The tiniest bit of illumination and I lost the stag altogether. Willie's younger eye when he got behind the rifle was able to distinguish both long enough to get the shot away and kill the stag, but he also found any illumination counterproductive. With my favourite NXS NP-R1 reticle, the crosshair is thick enough I certainly don't feel the need for any illumination.
No FFP's or MIL adjustments and reticles for me either, 2nd FP and MOA is what my mind works in and is easiest to visualise at any range I feel. Who can visualise a MIL or tenth of a MIL at 1200 yards for example? And I live in a metric country? MOA and inches/feet are so easy to visualise and are meaningful increments. A clever reticle like March's FFP in their 3-24x that doesn't get too thick and has windage hash marks that remain constant has merit, but I've yet to see one in a serious ELR scope. And then they're a MIL reticle anyway.
I'm also with TrueBlue who said don't make it bigger and heavier! The 32oz now is plenty as we hunt with our rifles, often carrying them for quite some distance. With any of our ELR chamberings, the 100 MOA of the 5.5-22x56 NXS is plenty with a 25MOA base for our purposes, and will get us to 2900 yards at sea level, further at altitude. We don't hunt that far, but realise some will want to bust rocks/gongs further. You can then use the bottom hash on the reticle to get out to well over 3000 yards anyway.
Yes, to a little more magnification, but don't need 32x or more. I feel 28x is max from our experience in the field, and probably 25x sufficient. We have 8-32x NXS's that live on 22x…so that tells you something! The zero stop is great, but I still actually prefer the old 10 MOA per rev turrets. They are so positive and easy to read in the field, so long as you have a zero stop so you don't lose track. If you're going to 20 MOA or even more per rev, then the turret diameter needs to be much larger, so the graduations don't get too close together.
Better optics/light transmission is always an advantage, and even further negates the need for illuminated reticles for us. We are not shooting at something that might shoot back if we don't kill them! Those guys can have the Beast, just give us an ATACR with an NP-R1 reticle and not too much more weight! :)
Greg

just give us an ATACR with an NP-R1 reticle and not too much more weight! :)
Greg

Greg, You are spot on with your post. I can tell you "walk the walk" !!gun)

I do like the 120+ moa as I am going to 3 K and maybe beyond.

But I have never used the ill Ret. for anything other than goofing off. I was shooting with a couple buddies one night at 1000 yards. That's right , in the dark. We taped light sticks to the gong and blew them off. Like I said, goofing off, not serious shooting. The ILL ret was a must for this and was best turned down on low.

I am worried about the thicker MOAR reticle. Why guys get to feeling they need thicker than the NP-R1 is out of my relm of thinking. Thick reticles for ELR are just something someone dreamed up that does not shoot ELR. If the guys at nightforce are reading this, please take a note.. lightbulb

10-4 on the 25 to 28 X for max magnification.!!

Moa all the way and no to the fat reticled FFP's.

Thanks for you post.

Jeff

FWIW I e-mail Night force recommending some sort of finer cross hair on the ATACR. Might be something everyone does and they will get the hint.

I had an instance this year in the wayning minutes of light where I couldn't see the np-r1 on a does hide ,when set on over 16 power, and I never set my illumination down internally, so it was too bright when turned on. Then the problem is my wind hash marks are not what they should be.

I like the moar and don't mind the thickness too much, but when I am shooting small dots at 100 yards. I would like them to just omit the cross wire completely in the center of the scope, about a 1/2 moa gap, that way you can see your fine aiming point. At 2000 yards if you dial in your wind you would have a nice unobstructed view of your targets center.

With any of our ELR chamberings, the 100 MOA of the 5.5-22x56 NXS is plenty with a 25MOA base for our purposes, and will get us to 2900 yards at sea level, further at altitude. We don't hunt that far, but realise some will want to bust rocks/gongs further. You can then use the bottom hash on the reticle to get out to well over 3000 yards anyway.

Better optics/light transmission is always an advantage, and even further negates the need for illuminated reticles for us. We are not shooting at something that might shoot back if we don't kill them! Those guys can have the Beast, just give us an ATACR with an NP-R1 reticle and not too much more weight! :)
Greg

Hi Greg.

I would be most interested in the specs of all your ELR chamberings that are able to be dialled to 2900 yards at sea level with 100 moa elevation scope & 25 moa base.

My limited experience suggests that in the best case scenario you will have a maximum of 75-80 moa elevation to dial & even using the 20moa in the reticle it is still only 95-100 moa to get to 2900 yards.

It is an extremely flat shooting round that can achieve that, without even looking at the fact it will most likely be transonic well before then.

I couldn't agree more with your last paragraph

I'm really looking forward to be able to get the ATACRs with a fine reticle like the NPR1 so I can really start to push the envelope well past the 2550 yards I have managed so far with the 338 & 375s topped with NSXs.

I sold two Premiers I got recently after waiting over 7 months for them, when I found out the ATACR would have another 25 moa elevation available before I used the reticle.

I also don't really like FFP & I'm very happy with the current NSXs I have.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.