How Could We Improve the NEW A.T.A.C.R. From Nightforce

Not trying re-light the fuse, but I agree with Jeff on the reticle diameter of the MOAR. I'm one of those Eastern shooters and it's not the trees but the cornfields and bean fields that we shoot over. There are two issues with MOAR that are relevant to those in the Southeast. One the thickness and the other is the fixed illuminated recticle. My old BR and MOAR are both 8-32x56. Our shooting times are one hour before sunrise and one hour after sunset. Starting around 700yd and beyond the thicker reticle begins to show itself and at dark when it is still legal shooting time the reticle blends into the deer, covers to much of the target and you can't adjust the illumination on the fly with the MOAR like you can with the old BR, which is about 15 years old. With the old BR with the thin crosshair, I can put it on a inch piece of surveyors tape at 1100 yds and still adjust the illumination and see just fine. 24-26 power seems to be the sweet spot even at dark.
Just my .02 :D

Sendero72, you brought up a point I had not thought of. Although the thicker reticle is said to be more visible in low light, you are saying the thickness while illuminated is over bearing and bleeds out making an aim point hard to get?? And this starts as early as 700 yards?

This is the kind of real world experiences we need to hear about. I have never used the illumination as our shooting hours don't call for it. So I find this good info.

Thanks
Jeff

By the way Jeff I'm 100% on the same page with you and Shawn on a MOAR "THIN" being the best reticle in a 25 power platform and SFP. This would be the ultimate LRH scope.

I realize none of us have had one of these in our hands yet. But from what you see and from what you have read what would you change about this scope? Please lets leave price out of the opinions. I feel they took it pretty easy on us with the slated MSRP of around $2350.

Here is a link for those that have not read about it yet.

ATACR | Nightforce Optics, Inc.

I look at the ATACR as a serious boost for us ELR shooters. This was surely what Nightforce was targeting with this scope. I have had a few conversations with Shawn Carlock and we both share the excitement of a little more top end power, ED glass, and the 120 MOA of elevation. But!!!! Why the thicker reticle?? That is surely not what we as ELR shooters will prefer. Four inches plus of target cover at 3000 yards is not my idea of a precise hold.

I just had a very informative conversation with Mark Benelli at Nightforce about the new ATACR and BEAST. The first thing I wanted to discuss was the possibility of a thinner reticle choice for the ATACR in MOA. The answer, it is not slated at this time, but Mark being an ELR shooter welcomed my views, and agreed, that a thinner reticle would be more desirable for ELR. He also shared his experience from using the MOAR reticle this past season. He says it may not be as bad as I expect, but did admit in a recent match he could not center the reticle on a 1" orange dot at 400 yards. It simply blocked the dot out. He also stated he was going to go back to the RP-R1 to see for sure if the R1 was indeed better for his needs. We also talked about the glass the new line will be sporting. In an independent study the BEAST was tested by a independent German firm and the BEAST was given a 10 for clarity and brightness and definition. The S&B PM2 in 25x was given an 8+. So this glass will be something to behold I would say. The ATACR does not sport this same glass as the BEAST, but does have new ED glass. Mark says although he has never seen fault with the glass we know so well in the NXS ( I agree), the ED glass in the ATACR is very noticeably better especially for definition and depth perception.

Sorting these high end optics out is such a pain. To bad there isn't a place to go that has them all side by side for comparison. To celebrate my son's college graduation I was going to treat myself to the S&B PM2. He let me know about this double major thing so next year perhaps. Anyway, back to topic. The S&B looks like the scope the BEAST is competing with. The price I saw elswhere was $3298-if that is so would it change your thinking any Broz?

The S&B looks like the scope the BEAST is competing with. The price I saw elswhere was $3298-if that is so would it change your thinking any Broz?

No, The BEAST is not my kind of scope. It is a front focal plane and I do not want a FFP for long range. So the ATACR is what I will be getting.

Jeff

I should know better than multi-tasking! I was at work jumping back and forth between threads, and serving the pager. I thought the BEAST was the scope, and ATACR was what the reticle was being called. Thanks for sorting it out for me.

No, The BEAST is not my kind of scope. It is a front focal plane and I do not want a FFP for long range. So the ATACR is what I will be getting.

Jeff
Broz, sent you a couple of PM's if you got them let me know got someinteresting news regarding ATACR

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.