50 BMG choice

JCM

Hi everyone,
Just need some help with a decision on a rifle purchase, looking at a 50 for longer range work and am looking at the Noreen ULR or a ZEL Custom T1 upper, this one will just be for some fun rock plinking nothing real serious, over here in New Zealand we don't just have these sitting on shelves to look over, so would be great if anyone who has had experience with these two rifles could let me know what they thought of them, pros and cons, accuracy, that sorta thing,
Much appreciated

For curiosity how long is linger range work for you?

He's in New Zealand. They don't have rifle ranges, they have mountain ranges. They just shoot from one mountain to the other. ;) :D

It's not Australia. New Zealand does not have the same limitations on firearms.

I have only fondled my ALS while it was being made CA legal (not 50BMG). It is just like any other bolt action single shot, just BIG.

I looked at the ZEL and was considering their single shot lower for my ALS. I decided to machine my own lower from a %0 7075 forging.

Two things about the Norneen ULR. 1) I think it is the one where you remove the bolt to chamber a round. 2) The manual says not to shoot MilSurp as the cases will stick. To me this means their engineering is marginal and the action is not strong enough to limit expansion to less than .001 of the action. Remember the action expands with the cartridge during the firing sequence. As long as that expansion is less than .002 you should not have a stuck case. Example: my 277/26-Nosler with hot loads (~4000fps with a 115 CEB Copper Raptor) "sticks" but if I let it cool it comes out easy. So the action is expanding just enough that while the brass is still hot it is stuck.

Haha yes the mountains are our ranges, we range find using topographical maps and a compass, Longer range for me is going past my current set up that reaches 1500 yards, want to have a play out to 2500 now, The ALS looks nice but will have to check on the import status for those, but know I can bring in the ZEL, that was the reason for that choice, only looked at the Noreen as its a similar price but a dedicated rifle not just a click on upper,

Haha yes the mountains are our ranges, we range find using topographical maps and a compass, Longer range for me is going past my current set up that reaches 1500 yards, want to have a play out to 2500 now, The ALS looks nice but will have to check on the import status for those, but know I can bring in the ZEL, that was the reason for that choice, only looked at the Noreen as its a similar price but a dedicated rifle not just a click on upper,

If the ALS is not available, if it were me, I'd choose the ZEL. Looking at the pictures from the Unlimited Range Shooters Association. I believe I see a high percentage of ALS but I could be confusing the ZEL. I know the Norneen is not the majority.

Two things about the Norneen ULR. 1) I think it is the one where you remove the bolt to chamber a round. 2) The manual says not to shoot MilSurp as the cases will stick. To me this means their engineering is marginal and the action is not strong enough to limit expansion to less than .001 of the action. Remember the action expands with the cartridge during the firing sequence. As long as that expansion is less than .002 you should not have a stuck case. Example: my 277/26-Nosler with hot loads (~4000fps with a 115 CEB Copper Raptor) "sticks" but if I let it cool it comes out easy. So the action is expanding just enough that while the brass is still hot it is stuck.

Jeff:

Seems you have not been hands-on with a Noreen ULR. The action is beyond massive! I owned one 3-4 years ago and sold it because, as an action-only purchase, it was too "rough" for my interests at the time (i.e., the exterior finish was too industrial compared to a typical action). Also, when I asked if there were any issues nitriding it, I was told that would void the warranty. Was it strong enough? Absolutely! Yes, it is a shell-holder design, meaning you remove the bolt to insert and remove rounds. For a fun gun, no issue.

I looked at the Zel site and noted this bolded blue text at the top and the bottom of the T1 page, "
PBox_Border_Right_Top.gif
clear1x1.gif
Tactilite uppers are currently estimated to be more than 18 months backordered. We are not accepting deposits on new orders. If you would like to be contacted when lead times are reduced to approximately 6 months"

Seems you have not been hands-on with a Noreen ULR. The action is beyond massive! ...

Ok. I stand corrected. I still don't like the shell holder, remove the bolt kind. Up to the OP to decide on that. I made my choice with an ALS.

It still worries me that they say not to use MilSurp but what do I know, mine is a DTC...

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.